PDA

View Full Version : Age to learn mandolin?

gallusallus
May-08-2006, 7:15pm
Can anyone share their experience of teaching young kids to play mandolin?

1. What is the youngest age it is worth starting at? I assume it would be similar to learning violin, so age 5-6 would be do-able if the kid is interested?

2. 1/4 size etc. violins are obtainable but I can't find anything about small mandolins. This could prove to be the limiting factor for teaching young children. For example, I didn't play a full size violin until I was 10, and I remember struggling with the size, initially.

I have a young friend who is 6 and adores the sound of the mandolin (I have indoctrinated him well, but the main credit for this goes to Simon Mayor). He has started asking if he can learn to play mandolin.

An additional issue is finding a mandolin mentor/teacher/role model - the kid lives in the Forest of Dean, England and I live in Canada right now.

kww
May-08-2006, 8:44pm
They are rare, but if you search for piccolo mandolins, they can be found. I know of this one (http://www.pamelasmusic.co.uk/images/Forsale/string/mandolins/M162.htm), but I haven't seen the instrument in person. Since the kid lives in England, visiting the instrument may be feasible for him and an adult guardian. I'm not exactly sure where "Forest of Dean" is.

This one was on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7403070292&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT), but it has already been sold. I bid on it, and lost.

They are about 15% smaller, and normally tuned DAEB, slightly above a normal mandolin.

cooper4205
May-08-2006, 9:02pm
my sister in law who is 9 wants to start mandolin lessons (she likes to fool with mine). do kids have problems playing regular mandos with the high amount of tension or would a low action and light strings be fine for her?

Bill Snyder
May-08-2006, 9:22pm
Check out a Weber Sweet Pea (http://www.soundtoearth.com/inst_ma_sweetpea.htm) or look for a used Mid-Missouri Kid-Mo. The Kid-Mo has four strings and an 11 5/8" scale length. The reason I say to look for a used one is that new ones are no longer available.

cooper4205
May-08-2006, 11:12pm
are they very exspensive? i just got married and am still in school so its hard enough to support my MAS habit. i was think ing about the johnson ma 110 oval hole a style or a used washburn M-ISDL/TR a-style oval hole. i would love to get her a mid mo or sweet pea, but i don't have the money and if all else fails and she gives it up i will at least have something to take camping with me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

gallusallus
May-09-2006, 6:19am
Related question, but slightly off topic regarding string weight and action to make things easier for kids/beginners.

I'd always assumed that light strings would be easier but a luthier has told me that medium weight strings enable a lower action without buzz because of the higher tension in the string (and a better sound too). Is this correct? - of course you'd have to lower/reposition the bridge and maybe dress the frets so its not a simple string change fix.

keymandoplyr
May-09-2006, 8:12am
Wasnt Ricky Skaggs playing a regular size mandolin on stage with Bill Monroe ? Dont remember if he was 5 or 7 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Ken Berner
May-09-2006, 8:50am
My only experience is that I waited until I was 60 to begin my mandolin journey. I would certainly start children as early as they could pick the instrument up, even if they couldn't depress the strings! If they possess the gift of music, they will thank you many times over when they are older!

JEStanek
May-09-2006, 9:08am
My two kids have been banging on my Johnson M110 oval hole since they could crawl. I should put light guage strings (maybe just 1/2 a set) on it. They're mostly into just strumming in front or behind the bridge and getting the anatomy down (this is a tailpiece, this is a tuner, these are frets...). It can't hurt to have one around that you don't mind them messing with. A uke may be a good place to start as well.

Jamie

Keith Owen
May-09-2006, 11:13am
My son started playing guitar(lessons) at 6, and he is still playing now at 10. He was playing a 3/4 size for a little while but went to a dreadnought after about a year when his 3/4 beater Harmony went to guitar heaven.

Mandos are a heck of a lot smaller than a 3/4 size guitar. I don't know why you wouldn't go with a normal sized mando, and like everybody always says get them something that sounds decent and get it set up well for them.

As for when to start them, I think the answer is "whenever they show interest." Lessons are huge, because kids tend to get tired of parents telling them how to do stuff and like to hear it from others.

otterly2k
May-09-2006, 11:48am
There was a related thread recently:

teaching small hands (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=6;t=33278;hl=operaguy)

gallusallus
May-09-2006, 6:37pm
'Teaching small hands' is a great thread. I think I'll buy a 'beater' mandolin (but one that still sounds reasonable), sort it out for a low action and single strings and teach him to play a few easy tunes/riffs with a capo at 3 or 4 initially.

I would hesitate to start kids on a violin for the following reasons based on personal experience:

1. It takes a long while to sound remotely nice.
2. Playing with frets is easier and less technique dependent in the early stages
3. Playing mandolin (with frets) enables ready understanding of chords and patterns (I really missed out on 'getting this' when I played violin).
4. Playing mandolin is a whole lot more social than violin. (I attempted guitar several times in my teens but my hands are really small and I didn't get very far)
5. They won't be conscripted into a dire school orchestra if they play mandolin instead of violin - big bonus.
6. They won't learn bad habits from a classical violin teacher (I'm still trying to break mine and adopt a more practical technique for mandolin)
7. Little kids seem to universally love the mandolin sound. It is torture playing an instrument when you hate the sound.
8. Mandolins are way cooler than violins anyway!

Now I just have to locate a child-friendly mandolin teacher near Gloucester, England.

A.

Alex Fields
May-09-2006, 6:49pm
I think string the instrument one string to a course is a good idea if the kid is young enough to have problems pressing strings. Very low action and extra light strings, too.

blugrssmom
Jun-13-2006, 12:33am
My grandaughter is 10 and I started her on mandolin about 6 months ago. She lives about 6 hrs away so I only got to work with her a little bit this school year, but now that it's summer I'm getting to work with her alot as she's staying with us quite a bit this summer. She is doing great with it and is playing a full size mandolin. I've got her playing the Bluegrass Stomp already and she's playing just two finger chords due to her small size, but she's learning it and picking up on it fast. I had taught her guitar when she was 8, and she loves to play it too, but now that I've started her on mandolin she's just eating it up and begging me to play night and day. She's the size of most 7 yr olds at age 10. Weighing in at 60 lbs and about 4 and a half feet tall, but she's playing a full size mandolin with no trouble.

8STRINGR
Jun-13-2006, 5:37am
I would say that if you went with an A model that has a thinner fret board and lowered action so it's not a bear on their fingers it would certainly help out. I would think regardless of the size (length) of the mandolin (A or F model) he or she could just adjust to having it set on their lap to a point to where they're not having to stretch their arms any great length to hold and play it, having the neck closer to them.

My 20 month old has been even been saying "mandolin" at a year old and would always point to it sitting in the corner. I'd hand it to her and she rakes her fingers across the strings as if it were a banjo. I try getting her into the habit using her left hand to be at least at the fret board. For now, I'm not worried about her making any chords but I'm waiting for the day that she breaks in to "Train 45"!

I'd say as long as the interest is there at any age start them right away with a confortable (thinner neck and lowered action) mandolin. I have adults struggling with higher actions to even produce chords but find it much easier with learning and comfort of knowing the action has been lowered. Good luck in your search for the smaller scale that you're asking for. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

gr_store_feet
Jun-13-2006, 7:24am
Cool topic

I have my almost three year old playing my beater mandolin. I have it strung with light gauge strings. He loves it. He puts on his lap and asks for a pick and strums away. He sings to himself too. He is more of a rhythm guy right now and hasn't showed any interest in fretting. He blows some harmonica too when papa gets his mando out.

Nolan
Jun-13-2006, 9:52am
I started my 5 year old son on Suzuki violin back in September when he was 4. #He always loved to hack away on my beater Kentucky but my opinion on fretted steel stringed instruments is they are physically harder for really young kids to play. #Shoot, I still read posts from adults here on the cafe saying "Oh, my fingers are so soar from playing my new mandolin!" #I'd imagine for a 5 year old it would be even worse!
Violin is physically easier but takes better technique which they can (and should) learn at a young age. #Learning how to use a bow in itself is like learning an instrument. #I can always (well, maybe not always) tell a "Fiddler" from someone who has been taught classically . #Usually they have better tone and intonation. #I think kids make it through the "Tough" years on fiddle faster the earlier they start. #I think one key to anyone learning an instrument is getting together with others and playing and that is what Suzuki does. #

Last night he was walking around the house with his toy sword in his belt playing "Go tell Aunt Rodie".. it was hilarious! #He can play Red Haired Boy now too so we have fun "Jamming" on that tune. #

The mandolin is now a "Treat" so if he does his violin practice I'll let him go grab the mandolin and he chops along on a few tunes. #My Idea is that the violin will be the instrument we make him play but the mandolin is the one he chooses to play. #Tricky huh?
The good thing is the positions transfer directly from the violin so while he's learing one, he'll learn the other.

Aran
Jun-13-2006, 9:59am
Here's my 12 year old about 18 months ago. She still can't get the chop chord but is progressing well in other areas..

Aran
Jun-13-2006, 10:08am
And here's my 2 year old a couple of months back. Erm kind of does this yodelling thing and strums away...

adgefan
Jun-13-2006, 10:30am
An additional issue is finding a mandolin mentor/teacher/role model - the kid lives in the Forest of Dean, England and I live in Canada right now.
Hi, I live relatively close to the Forest of Dean. I'm not sure you'd want me to mentor this child, though! I'll ask round and see if there's anyone in the Gloucester area.

Martin Jonas
Jun-13-2006, 10:37am
Now I just have to locate a child-friendly mandolin teacher near Gloucester, England.
There is a (depressingly short) list of mandolin teachers on the web site of the British BMG (http://www.banjomandolinguitar.co.uk/teachers.htm) Federation. #The only mandolin teacher listed anywhere near Gloucester is David Griffiths in Bristol, about 35 miles away. #His web site is:

http://www.###############.co.uk/###############.htm

He seems to be mainly a jazz player. #No idea if he'll take kids.

Martin

PS: Looks like the decency filter has decided that David's band name is obscene when spelled without spaces for the URL. Given that the band is called "Mandolin Express", that is bizarre. In any case, to get to his web site, go to "www.mandolin express.co.uk" without spaces.

Martin

martinedwards
Jun-13-2006, 10:56am
related, but slightly adrift......

My Mrs plays guitar about once a year.

she always goes for the 12 string as (she claims) the pairs of strings cushion her non calloused fingers and hurt less.

That MIGHT work for kids on mandos too.......

lkb3rd
Jun-13-2006, 12:53pm
My 6 year old nephew can play "Uncle Pen" on the mando in open chords and knows all the lyrics too lol. His 4 year old brother likes to strum the open strings, and their 2 year old sister likes to accompany on backup vocals... "hear it talk, hear it sing", then she plays an air g-run http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif