PDA

View Full Version : volume pedal

mandoman88
Apr-09-2004, 8:49am
Looking at getting a pickup pretty soon for the stage. Something like a volume pedal would be very useful. Has anyone ever used one, if so, what kind, and how would you go about setting it up? Thanks.
~james

fiddler59
Apr-09-2004, 9:03am
I have used ernie balls and morley vol. pedals. I prefer the ernie balls. Just plug in and go cat go.
DB

ira
Apr-09-2004, 9:23am
excuse my ignorance- what is a volume pedal? does it function like a preamp?

250sc
Apr-09-2004, 10:45am
Most volume pedals are 'passive' devices, that have a volume pot mounted in a pedal. When you put your heel to the floor the volume goes down, when you put your toe down the volume goes up.

There are some 'active' volume pedals that need to be plugged into an AC source but they are generally more expensive.

Both work and depending on the impedance of your pickup either should work fine for mando.

Bandersnatch Reverb
Apr-24-2004, 1:13am
Thought I'd add to this - since I just got one.

The Morley pedal is optical. There is no preamp, but the battery acts to light up leds, which shine thru graduated film sandwhiched between the leds and photocells. Absolutely quite in operation. Keep in mind they have a "regular" pedal and another for about $10 more with Steve Vai's name on it. They're essentially the same, except for a slight difference in the taper of the film's opacity - effecting the response.

Save yer $$$ and get the cheaper one, you'll never tell the difference.