PDA

View Full Version : May 7 G'boro get together

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 8:40pm
Our central NC mando-jam was great fun. Here's some pics of the pickers, and mandolins, that filled up my house this afternoon. I wondered if we should make up a name for this event -- something like Mandimonium or Flowerpot Fest. I may be rested and ready for another next year. Thanks to all who came for bringing the great instruments, food, and company.

1st draft at names, please help me:

from Left on floor, CW: Gary S, Alex, Alan N (front), Tom M (mandotom) in back, Zack, Dr O'Brien (darn, what's your first name?),Eric Robertson, Jeff Foxall, John

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 8:42pm
more..

from left:

Dave O'Brien (far left), xxx O'Brien (sorry, and I've even talked with you before at Galax) with his Gil, Brad (mandoe), and Hans Brentrup

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 8:45pm
Hans and Alan

JEStanek
May-07-2006, 8:46pm
Is that Mr. Brentrupp!? (edit due to simultaneous post-- It is Mr. Brentrupp! talk about honored guests)#Looks like a lot of fun. #I'm looking forward to the Philly Area CBOM-o-Rama in June.

Jamie

Alex Fields
May-07-2006, 8:50pm
It was alot of fun, thanks for hosting.

kyblue
May-07-2006, 8:54pm
I know a picture is supposed to be worth a 1000 words, but I want to hear more!

I'm sure all those F5s are very nice, but I want to hear about that black face oval hole.

Paula

Alex Fields
May-07-2006, 8:55pm
That black face oval hole is an early '40s Gibson K2 mandocello...and that's me playing it. Sadly it isn't mine, though.

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:00pm
Alex examining a... was that one of the Gil's?

Alex Fields
May-07-2006, 9:04pm
That's the '98 Gilchrist. Lovely one piece back.

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:06pm
more, more

OK help me here... is this Eric, or am I even close?

OK, verified, it's Eric Robertson. Great picker there, plays with Arnie Solomon a lot. I should have called Arnie, forgot to.

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:07pm
another view from above...

from Left, cw: Jeff Foxall (guitar), Ted M from Kernersville, Gary S from Summerfield, myself, Brad from Burlington (on couch)

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:08pm
taking my turn on bass duty

from Left: Alex F, Alan N, FP (me) with bass, Eric R, Brad (mandoe), Jeff F with guitar, Gary S

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:10pm
Zack sharing sitting room with a Brentrup and a Gibson

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:12pm
more...

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:14pm
just the "parking lot"... there were mandolins sitting in more chairs than people, I think.

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:15pm
still more

Ted's looking like "who's up there?"

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:18pm
5 Brentrups, nice little collection. Hans brought three of them. The "Lloyd", my German and Italian models, regular Eclispe and Pink Ivory Eclipse.

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:20pm
Ok, this was taken the day before, but I thought it was too cute not to include. My twins with "Uncle Hans." Al together now, "Awwwwwww."

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:27pm
note sez:

Used from 1930-1975 in the Hoboken novelty orchestra by Albert Ciello of Jersey City.

Pickguard (from Gibson banjo) was added circa 1935.

DeArmond pick-up installed around 1962.

Al died in 1982 at 73 years old.

The novelty orchestra played union halls, italian parties and other functions in the Hoboken-Jersey City - Newark area.

This was the only mandolin Ciello ever used with the band.

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:28pm
more...

Eric Robertson (left), Ethan Moore on Right with his Bluett

Ethan, you left your red bandana thingy. Our little girl found it this morning, and said somebody left a "Christmas Sheet" (I guess it must look festive).

Flowerpot
May-07-2006, 9:30pm
By the time it was over, my head was kind of spinning.

AlanN
May-08-2006, 5:42am
Had a great time at the mando gathering. Thanks, Mark - wonderful food, pickers and overall vibe.

Highlights - seeing Hans' varied work. The distressed one was indeed perfect. Picking with Mark, Brad, Eric, Jeff, Alex, David O., Jim O. I don't remember the fellow's name who had the Bluett F-5, but he had a cool style. At times, it was simply too loud to talk, a good thing http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Brad said it best - put a bunch of good mandolins with good pickers, it's hard to say which is best.

Jim Gallaher
May-08-2006, 7:20am
That would be Ethan Moore on the Bluett, Alan. I get to hear him every year at the Southeast CoMando Gathering at Helton Creek, NC. We'll be meeting this year May 17-21. Try to make it!

dtb
May-08-2006, 7:43am
mang, what a great time you guys had, for sure. I was right there in High Point, at my son's graduation. wish we had dropped by for a while. I'd loved to have seen/heard all those mandos. I'm sure I couldn't have done much picking with this line up. Would have loved being there, but it was my son's week-end. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the pics.

Dan

Lane Pryce
May-08-2006, 8:00am
I recognized Alex from meeting him at MerleFest. Wished I cold have been there too as it looked like a great time. Any chance someone can ID everyone in the photos? maybe next year!!! Lp

bud
May-08-2006, 8:09am
Sure wish I could have made it over yesterday. Looks like it was a blast. Hope you all can make it to the Gathering in a few weeks.

Bud

Flowerpot
May-08-2006, 9:42am
I'll try to add some names to annotate the pics, if everybody will correct my mistakes.

I added some names... please forgive me for the ones I messed up, and help correct my mistakes. My problem is, everybody has such common names... Gary, Alan, Ted, Tom, Dave, John, Brad... too easy to confuse.

AlanN
May-08-2006, 10:06am
Yes Mark...that's Eric Robertson, plays in a band called Beaconwood.

Flowerpot
May-08-2006, 10:07am
Thanks.

If we do this next year, we'll have to come up with a name, like Mandomonium or Mandobedlam. Nothing like organized chaos, but hey it was a hoot.

Lane Pryce
May-08-2006, 10:17am
Mark thanks for the addition of the names. Lp

Skip Kelley
May-08-2006, 11:24am
Man, that looks like it was a blast! I was out of town and hate I missed it! Flowerpot, How about doing it again?

AlanN
May-08-2006, 11:27am
Wondering where you were at, son...

Skip Kelley
May-08-2006, 12:03pm
Alan, My wife and I were at the beach. I had rather been there pickin'!

kyblue
May-08-2006, 12:06pm
Alex,

You look really cool playing that m'cello. Too bad it's not yours!

Paula

Gary S
May-08-2006, 2:19pm
Thanks Flowerpot for having us to your home, and bringing us all together for a really special afternoon. Hans, you are an extrordinary luthier. I especially enjoyed the tone of the Eclipse mandolins. Hope to see you all again soon...Gary

Alex Fields
May-08-2006, 2:41pm
Heh, I enjoyed playing mandocello so much I'm trying to get hold of one now. I suspect if I had a nice one it would come to dominate (or at least divide rather equally) my playing time: the larger size and deeper sound feel better to me than does a mandolin.

kyblue
May-08-2006, 5:25pm
Alex,

I know what you're saying. It was the mandola that did it for me. I'm going to take both on vacation this week, and try to make myself play the mandolin some, too!

Paula

csstanley
May-08-2006, 7:49pm
MAN, that looked like a great time. Sunday's are just too hard for me to do. Pastoring a church and all. It just wouldn't look good for me to skip out to go play mandolins all day. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Although if given the chance. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Need to see about setting up something on a Saturday afternoon.

Flowerpot
May-08-2006, 8:15pm
We'll arrange the next one so you can come. Maybe have it on a Saturday. Or have 15 mandolins play a hymn at your church? Hmmmm.

Scott Schmidt
May-08-2006, 8:18pm
What kind of strap is on that '98 Gil?

Alex Fields
May-08-2006, 8:28pm
Scott--a pretty one? Lol, ask Alan, it's his.

Hans
May-09-2006, 6:36am
Many thanks to Patty and Mark for hosting this shindig! Was great to meet you all, Gary, Jeff, Alex, Alan, Zack, Ethan...to many folks for this old coot to remember. And what a bunch of great mandolins, let's see...2 great Gils, a Loar/Gil, Kimble, Bluett, the 2 Cellos, MM's, Dearstone, 2 lovely F-4s...
The pickin' reminded me of the Mandolin Extraveganza album, hot, fast, furious and fun! Some really serious picker's there.
And let's not forget the spread! No one has metioned that yet...ahh pickers. Mark put on his BBQ apron and smoked a few racks of the most delicious ribs I've ever eaten! Too good to put BBQ sauce on. Oh man, salads, corn, cowboy beens, cornbread, Patty's fudge cake (wow), apple pie...think I gained 5#.
Yesterday was a long flight back to Minneapolis with many fond memories of the weekend. My thanks to all! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

csstanley
May-09-2006, 6:43am
Or have 15 mandolins play a hymn at your church? Hmmmm.
Now thats an idea. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

AlanN
May-09-2006, 6:52am
Hans, in character, is flaunting his modesty http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Yes, there were world-class instruments there, but to me, the highlight was finally (finally) seeing his work in the flesh, so to speak. In addition to the Distressed gem, he had 2 other F-5 inspired creations that were simply stunning. And Mark's F-5s were great too. One I could hardly put down, played perfectly and sounded the same.

We all were extrememly fortunate to have had Hans as part of the event.

(and yes to the ribs - even better than mine, as my kids have told me more than once).

mingusb1
May-09-2006, 7:21am
Hey Mark, many thanks for hosting a really fun event. And I thought I played the mandolin--until I got to your house Sunday! I'm not going to retire from the doghouse bass just yet!

The food was excellent, and the tunes were (at times) really wild! It was great to hear Old Dangerfield at high-speed!

Hans, it was a pleasure to meet another Minnesotan! I'll try to look you up if I get back to MN this fall for some fishing!

Thanks again Mark for hosting!

Zack
Old Wave F
Bill Davis A

otterly2k
May-09-2006, 2:13pm
Looks like a really fun gathering! re: names, I like "Mandomonium" myself... but then I seem to have coined "CBOM-o-Rama"...:p

Flowerpot
May-09-2006, 9:04pm
Glad you all had a good time. I knew if you shook the bushes, a dozen mandolin players would fall out!

I got to eat the leftover ribs last night for supper, and they were every bit as good as the day before. Yummm! And the chuckwagon beans, and cornbread, and cookies.... You'uns didn't eat enough, and I'm taking advantage of that.

My Italian spruce model sounds so good now, it's like all the beating and thrashing gave it a sudden boost in volume. I may have to have another one on these some day...