PDA

View Full Version : Hogan #7

pickinNgrinnin
May-06-2006, 9:40pm
Adrian Minarovic, a.k.a. "Hogan" is now working on his 7th and 8th Mandolins. I'm fortunate to be in line to receive #7. The wood for #7 was supplied by Bruce Harvie's Orca Island Tonewoods. The top is Sitka Spruce from Alaska. The back, sides and neck are Big Leaf Maple from Washington state. This will be the first Mandolin I've had built for me. It's nice to be able to have some input on how the Mandolin will look and to have it built to suit my ears and hands.

Adrian has been great to work with. I'm sure I've been wearing him out with all of my questions and emails. I'm amazed with the knowledge he has in regard to everything Mandolin. I know some of you out there have purchased his Mandolins plans through Elderly. Adrian lives in Zvolen, Slovakia. He has an extensive Math and Computer Programming background and is currently teaching Mathematics. In addition, he is an accomplished Mandolin player. There is probably not much he can't do but he did tell me that he can't dance. Sorry Adrian http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

He builds his Mandolins with few power tools. Just a bandsaw and router at a friend's workshop for rough cutting and shaping. He uses a hand drill, but that really doesn't
count as a power tool. Most of the work is done in an old fashion way with hand saws, knives, scrapers, chisels, gouges, and planes.

#7 will have a varnish finish, triple binding (his first with IBI binding) radiused fretboard and a Scrimshaw Bald Eagle on the headstock. A Deer Antler nut and Bridge cap come standard along with a Pearwood bound pickguard.

As you can imagine, I can't wait to have this in my hands for I know it is going to be a great Mandolin. Here are some pictures in the construction phase. I'll post more as Adrian sends them to me.

pickinNgrinnin
May-06-2006, 9:41pm
Top and back plates

pickinNgrinnin
May-06-2006, 9:42pm
tone bars

pickinNgrinnin
May-06-2006, 9:44pm
A 3 piece neck

pickinNgrinnin
May-06-2006, 9:45pm
Forming the rims

pickinNgrinnin
May-06-2006, 9:46pm
Lots O Clamps

pickinNgrinnin
May-10-2006, 8:33pm
I received more pictures from Adrian yesterday. I'll start with a shot of the kerfing strips being glued in:

pickinNgrinnin
May-10-2006, 8:34pm
Here's a sequence of the dovetail joint being cut.

pickinNgrinnin
May-10-2006, 8:36pm
Cuts made

pickinNgrinnin
May-10-2006, 8:38pm
Finshed cut and final dressing to come

pickinNgrinnin
May-10-2006, 8:45pm
Back plate being glued to the rim. Adrian uses Hide Glue in the Mandolin's construction. The real deal - I think they used this stuff on the old Gibsons. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

pickinNgrinnin
May-10-2006, 8:46pm
All clamped in nice and snug.

sgarrity
May-10-2006, 11:39pm
Hhmmm, I was wondering what you were going to get after you sold the Davis. I'll be anxious to hear your review once you get it.

pickinNgrinnin
May-11-2006, 10:35am
I was wondering too! I knew Adrian was building Mandolins and I was impressed with both his work and Mando technical knowledge. The Loar plans he put together are quite possibly, the best out there. I've been thinking of ordering some from Elderly just to frame them and hang them them up in my office.

I've talked to some experienced players who have played his Mandolins and the reviews are very favorable. I contacted Adrian through an email and asked him if he had any Mandolins ready for sale. At that time, he was just finishing up two that were spoken for and he had two more in the early stages of building. So it was a case of being in the right place at the right time.

This is the first time I'm having one being built for me. As you might guess, I'm pretty fired up about this. I'll keep posting pictures as I receive them from Adrian. He's really been great to work with. When I get it, I'll be sure to send up some pictures and review.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

diamond ace
May-13-2006, 11:48am
That looks great. I'm sure will love this mandolin. They sound amazing and his craftmanship is next to none in my book.

congrats, and keep us posted.

pickinNgrinnin
May-31-2006, 8:54pm
Here is an update on Hogan #7. Just got the pictures from Adrian today. Here's a shot of the tone bars.

pickinNgrinnin
May-31-2006, 8:56pm
Top signed

pickinNgrinnin
May-31-2006, 9:00pm
A little sanding work

pickinNgrinnin
May-31-2006, 9:02pm
Checking the top for a fit.

pickinNgrinnin
May-31-2006, 9:09pm
Next up is cutting the neck, installing the truss rod and preparing the body for binding. It's been fun watching this come together http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

HoGo
Jun-02-2006, 10:29am
The last pic of the top upside down actuallz shows small holes I drilled for wood lacating dowels. That way I can use the scroll block cut exactly to 98% (CNC) before assembly. I cut the scroll on the plate to 80% of the finished shape before gluing on, and with the dowels I can position it exactly where I want it. They go only 3/32 deep into the plate, so they don't show through, and they won't damage blade of knife if future disassembly will be needed.