PDA

View Full Version : Rigel Comet?

steve V. johnson
May-06-2006, 4:49pm
I just saw a Rigel "Comet" mandolin on eBay. It has a dark matte 'burst finish, gold hdwr and an oval hole, and a little point on the bottom of the treble side which points back toward the tail-end of the instrument. According to the auction text, this is what gives it the name. I belive the seller is a dealer.

It sort of reminds me of the point on the Corrado Giacomel or Arrow G mandolins.

I like matte finishes, but this particular one looks a tad... indistinct. If it's a design response to ... say, the Collings MT, well done!

But... there is no mention of this one on the Rigel site...

Who knows more about this? Mr. P. Mix, are you here? <G>

Thanks,

stv

Dfyngravity
May-06-2006, 6:53pm
There is a picture on Rigel's website (http://www.rigelinstruments.com/publish/article_132.shtml) about half way down. It is definitely not a standard mandolin they make. I think it is basically a protoype/ask and they will build type instrument. It's basically their Gypsy Q/Q95 model but with the tail pointed backwards and a little bit added curvature to it.

There is an even more interesting looking one all the way at the bottom(I think it might be their Rickenbacker style mandolin). Rigel always has some new crazy design they are working on, whether it's a wild finish and inlays or new body design. I think they are great though, I especially love the Rickenbacker style headstock with the tuners.

amowry
May-06-2006, 9:27pm
I was looking at that one the other day too. That's a fun tuner configuration.

Dave Voyles
May-06-2006, 9:33pm
I own the first Rigel Comet Mandola and couldn't be happier. Great sustain and tone and beautiful to look at. There is a thread somewhere here on the Cafe with pictures. I didn't ask Peter what the motivation was to build this model but I'm happy they did.

Ted Eschliman
May-07-2006, 6:35am
The Comet was intended to deviate from the Q-95, not only in the direction of the lap corner for a cosmetic flourish (more ergonomic on the Q-95), but the internal cross bracing (not on the Q-95) for more projection vs warmth, and the flatter, matte finish.

The original thought was to further distinguish with an F hole, but as you see the first two, this and Dave's Dola are indeed, Oval hole.

The motivation for the Q-Dola and it's sister Comet 'Dola was to capture a vastly underserved and increasingly popular Mandola-hungry market.

steve V. johnson
May-07-2006, 9:51pm
So, Ted...

It's mainly a mandola model and secondarily a mandolin model?

And you say, "... the internal cross bracing (not on the Q-95) for more projection vs warmth ..." so... it's -less- warm than loud?

I know that's ridiculously difficult to quantify, but I thought I'd ask anyway... <G>

Many thanks,

stv

Mandobar
May-08-2006, 6:17am
the seller on ebay is a member here. not sure he is a rigel dealer, but he does indeed own a music store. i have bought from him and he is great to deal with.

Dave Voyles
May-08-2006, 6:40am
As to the tone, it is certainly different than my R-200 that had f holes. I just hear it as more typical of the oval hole sound, very rich and tubby, but it does project well.