PDA

View Full Version : Ragtime Jug Band and Old Time...

lifeinajug
May-04-2006, 6:11pm
I'm really interested in ragtime and jugband music for mandolin. Also country blues like Old Crow Medicine show. I've been playing for a little over a year without instuction, but would really like to know some reasources or teachers on the internet or around the Souteast US (I'm in KY). Any help would be great. As well as some listening sugestions.

Thanks,
travis

Jim Yates
May-04-2006, 6:32pm
Google Rich Delgrosso and you should find some stuff of interest. He's supposed to be negotiating publication of a jug band mandolin book.

mandobob
May-05-2006, 9:11am
DO what I did, email Rich and get a copy of teh jugband book w/cassette.
bluzman88@earthlink.net
PS
Let us know if he has a date for his new book!

Jim Yates
May-05-2006, 10:33am
Hey mandobob, how long ago did you email Rich? I just sent him an email, but think the book is no longer available. Hope I'm wrong.

By the way lifeinajug, one of my mandolin students loaned me a dvd from homespuntapes.com that might be of interest:
Learn To Play Blues Mandolin
Taught By Steve James.

Jim Yates
May-05-2006, 12:11pm
Rich mailed me back this message:
Jim,

The jugband book is no longer available. I have a new book coming out, "Mandolin Blues: From Memphis to Maxwell Street," pub. by Hal Leonard, hopefully by summer. People can keep posted by emailing me.

Thanks for the alert on the posting

Rich

mandobob
May-05-2006, 12:42pm
blep
I guess it's been a year or two. Sorry to hear it's OOP.
Looking forward to his new stuff for sure!
Bob

Adam Tracksler
May-06-2006, 5:51am
you might want to checkout juneberry78s.com, they have a ton of jugband/bluesy stuff there.

The Memphis Jugband is a good place to start.

its all public domain, so....

--ad

wah
May-08-2006, 1:27pm
lifeinajug,

For listening start with the Document compilation "Rags, Breakdowns, Stomps, and Blues: Vintage Mandolin Music," then get the two "Ruckus Juice & Chitlins" from Yazoo. The Memphis Jug Band is a must have - My favorite is the one with cover art by R. Crumb "The Memphis Jug Band." I took a class from Rich and he talked alot about the Mississippi Shieks. I too am waiting for the new book by Rich.

Wayne

hoffmannia@mac.com
May-12-2006, 7:42am
Go to yazoo records.com they have so much good music. Just buy a compilation that interets you and you will be hooked.

Also, Good for What Ails You, Music of the Medicine Shows is an amazing amazing pick

Wesley
May-23-2006, 12:38pm
Have you heard John Sebastian and the J Band yet ? His last CD "Chasing Gus's Ghost" is supposed to have some of the last recordings by Yank Rachell. Good stuff worth checking out.

Nathan Sanders
May-23-2006, 2:18pm
This might be a good place to start searching:

Jugband.org (http://www.jugband.org/)

farmerjones
May-24-2006, 3:01pm
Someone digitally remastered alot of old Fonotone cuts.
Fonotone.com or google "fonotone" would put you onto the stuff. Jugband/Rag/Swing. I have the box set. That's alot of content. Good Luck