PDA

View Full Version : Got my new Glenn Today...

John M. Riley
May-03-2006, 8:30pm
After reading the good review on the Glenn student A model, I decided I would order a blacktop student F with schaller tuners. I got it in today. It would be real hard to compete with this mandolin in the price range and even out of the price range. I paid right under 950 for it. Its has potential to be just as good as my Gibson Fern or my Rattlesnake and I paid 4 to 5 times as much for each on of them. Anyways, here are some pics.

John M. Riley
May-03-2006, 8:39pm

John M. Riley
May-03-2006, 8:41pm

John M. Riley
May-03-2006, 8:42pm

John M. Riley
May-03-2006, 8:44pm

Keith Erickson
May-04-2006, 10:00am
John,

That's absolutely gorgious!!! I prefer an A over an F but I have to admit that your Glenn is on beautiful mandolin.

Let us know how it plays.

Good luck to you http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John M. Riley
May-04-2006, 3:47pm
oh, it plays really well.....could be lowered a little at the nut though

J. Mark Lane
May-04-2006, 5:04pm
Very nice. Hard to believe he's making these for that kind of money. Gotta be one of the best deals out there. "Fit and finish" may not be "CNC perfect" (and Allen will say so, right up front), but if my Glenn A model is any indication, you sure get tone, volume, playability and quality construction. I feel quite comfortable saying that if I went broke and had to sell everything, the Glenn would be fine as a mandolin to play for the rest of my life. Lots of great players have made a career on lesser instruments (and I ain't no great player).

John M. Riley
May-04-2006, 7:47pm
J. Mark Lane, thats right.
And it was your review of the student A model that inspired me to order my student F.

J. Mark Lane
May-04-2006, 8:08pm
That's nice to hear.

It just baffles me that people will pay upwards of a grand or more for a factory made Asian import, when you can get something like this, with real character...a hand-crafted, American-made instrument, with honest-to-goodness tone, and a good, hard-working craftsman standing behind it...for the same money. Just amazing.

But hey, it's a free...uh, country, right? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandofish
May-04-2006, 9:07pm
Congratulations, Traditional! That's a fine-looking mando... and I believe you when you say it plays great, too.

I'm the current owner of Glenn A5 #59 (and the third Cafe member to get his hands on this one, I think), and I couldn't be happier with the perfomance of this instrument. A few of my buddies have played it, too, and they all rave about the tone and volume. For the price, it sure seems that Allen Jones is doing some terrific work.

A belated thanks also to J. Mark Lane; your earlier review of the Glenn helped sway me to take a chance on an instrument I knew little about. In retrospect, it was a great reward for very little risk!

Markelberry
May-07-2006, 6:57pm
After reading the good review on the Glenn student A model, I decided I would order a blacktop student F with schaller tuners. I got it in today. It would be real hard to compete with this mandolin in the price range and even out of the price range. I paid right under 950 for it. #Its has potential to be just as good as my Gibson Fern or my Rattlesnake and I paid 4 to 5 times as much for each on of them. Anyways, here are some pics.
Where can I find the review you read I would like to also read on it. Thanks Mark

harmonist34
May-08-2006, 9:41am
Here it is:

Glenn Student model review thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=31233;hl=glenn+and+stu dent+and+model)

Andrew

luckylarue
May-08-2006, 10:16am
Hats off to Mr. Jones for providing a much needed niche, imo. I love it that people are making high quality/low priced instruments for those of us who don't have more than $2G's to spend but deserve more than an Asian import (sorry, importers).
I personally have espoused the "down-grade" philosophy as I've recently realized that my last couple of mando purchases have cost hundreds of dollars less than the previous one before it. I know it's supposed to be the other way around - improved technique and musicianship = an "up-grade" in instrument quality (and price). But I've been very happy w/ my Pomeroy A2 (around $700 less than my previous mando) and now I'm for sure tempted w/ getting one of these student models.
Anyone else into "down-grading"? - let's see, I could offer up that American Tele gathering dust and the Glenn could be mine...all mine! Yikes, I just realized that it's probably all J. Mark's fault! Scoundrel!