PDA

View Full Version : Givens Legacy F5

lkb3rd
May-03-2006, 2:50pm
Hi all, i am considering buying a mandolin after many years playing guitar.
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Givens Legacy F5?
I've been able to determine by some web searching that they are made by an apprentice of Mr. Givens.
Are they of comparable quality to the Givens models?
Will it hold its value if i decide to sell?

Thanks for any thoughts

J. Mark Lane
May-03-2006, 3:01pm
I have a Givens Legacy A6, and I have compared it to mandolins made by Bob Givens. (The Legacy's are made by Steve Weill, who actually made many of the instruments "made by Bob Givens"). I believe the Legacy's are of comparable if not identical quality. Whether it will hold its value is hard to predict. Probably, but not as certainly as an "original Givens."

They are very good mandolins, btw.

Frank Russell
May-03-2006, 3:20pm
J. Mark - just curious: I've seen you make this statement that Weill made many of the original Givens, and I just wondered where you got that information. I've never read that anywhere. As far as holding value, my Givens A4 value, near as I can tell, seems to be going up fairly rapidly every year. Givens prices are creeping up, while prices on a used Legacy don't seem to be doing the same. Not knocking them, they seem to be great mandolins, but they don't have the same collector's value, and I personally don't think they are "identical," but everyone hears something different. Frank

J. Mark Lane
May-03-2006, 3:49pm
Frank,

I've read and heard it many times. One place you can look is the Givens Legacy "eBay Store":

http://stores.ebay.com/the-givens-legacy-store

"In fact, many Givens mandolins were actually made, from start to finish, by Steve Weill."

I'm sure a little Google work would turn up more. Of course, I don't know. I wasn't there. But I see no reason to doubt the word of people who were.

I suppose one source worth checking would be Greg Boyd, who of course advertises on the Home page of this website. Greg is, I think, the acknowledged expert on Givens these days.

I do agree with you (as I think I indicated) that the "actual" Givens instruments are appreciating more certainly. I would suggest, however, that the Legacy's are holding their own fairly well, too. I had the opportunity, fwiw, to pick up a Givens A6. I actually thought that in a direct comparison my Legacy A6 sounded better. But of course, everyone's ears are different, and many ears are conditioned to like what they already own, for various reasons.

cutbait2
May-03-2006, 4:43pm
lots of opinions (hype?) out there on the internet. too many good mando's to pick one that has inflated value because of the name if you just want something to play. if you want a collectible or a curiousity thats different.....

Mandobar
May-03-2006, 6:26pm
the givens legacy's are nice mandolins. right now you can get a new one for under $3k. this shop stocks them

http://www.acousticmusic.org

if you want something to play a mid missouri is the best buy (IMHO) for a us made instrument. you can get some mighty fine A models too for under $2k. there is a difference in the givens legacy F5 i had and the brentrup i have (besides the price difference). a BIG difference in tone, volume and playability. the brentrup is a more refined instrument, but for the $$ the legacy is a good start in an F5.

lkb3rd
May-04-2006, 3:49pm
Thanks for the input guys, i bought it a couple of hours ago at acousticmusic.org, which by coincidence is where i had been looking before i posted here ( i live one town over from the shop). He gave me a really good price and i decided to go for it.

lkb3rd
May-04-2006, 7:30pm
http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=48315f15-b6e1-412a-9796-fe5a4cba9e27&Item=1502579
Thar she blows http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Sorry im not familiar with this site's linking http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

J. Mark Lane
May-04-2006, 8:05pm
Mary, is that your old Legacy F5?

That's a very good shop, btw (as Mary knows). There's not a better place on the East Coast for buying a quality acoustic instrument.

Frank Russell
May-04-2006, 11:32pm
Mark - It seems I owe you an apology for questioning your info. Greg Boyd confirms that Weill made "some" or "several" Givens mandos from start to finish. I knew he had worked side by side with him, but had no idea he'd actually made a few on his own before starting the Legacy line. He did confirm that the ones signed under the top by Givens (like mine) were carved and voiced by Givens, which means my plain little A4 is still the most expensive mandolin I own. He was not sure if Weill signed the ones he made on his own or not. Just wanted to withdraw my objection. Thanks, Frank

J. Mark Lane
May-05-2006, 6:15am
No apology neeed, Frank. It was a good question. Thanks for reporting back what Greg has to offer on the subject.

Mandobar
May-05-2006, 6:14pm
no, mark

that is a brand new one.

stobias
May-07-2006, 9:14am
I have Mandobar's Givens Legacy (Hi Mary!). It is a wonderfull instrument! It has many design details, as well as sound, in common with Bob Givens' instruments, but the use of the Givens name has not, unfortunately, helped in the value of these instruments. A signed Givens is collectable and that is just the way it is! In my humble opinion, the offering from the shop in Connecticut is a fantastic buy! Many people have expressed their opinions about Steve Weill's motivation to use the Givens name. This ranges from opportunism, to him creating a shrine for an old friend. I am certainly no expert, but I'd like to believe the shrine version. And why not...He has carried on the unique design philosophy that he learned from a master builder!

bluegrassjack2
May-19-2006, 6:37am
On eBay, I saw a guy that had some A4 and Some A6 Givens Legacys. What is the difference?

Mandobar
May-19-2006, 7:48am
trim levels. the seller in ebay is the builder, steve weill who was givens long time assistant. the a4 is rather plain jane as far as appointments go. the a6 is the top of the line as far as materials and "blong".

Frank Russell
May-19-2006, 11:27am
Wow. Just checked out the Weill ebay store again. Good stuff, but still gives me a weird feeling. His "Weill series" mandos are priced almost $900 lower by model than the ones with the Givens name attached. Also, why use the traditional Givens-associated torch inlay on the cedar-topped Weill series A6? Confusion to follow. I'd be interested to hear one of the cedar topped Weill models, nice to see him selling his fine mandolins under his own name. Now that I would buy. Frank