PDA

View Full Version : Hans' distressed Lloyd

Hans
May-03-2006, 11:19am
Well, still waiting for the hand engraved tailpiece, but here's a few pix of the instrument.

Hans
May-03-2006, 11:20am
Front closeup.

Hans
May-03-2006, 11:21am
Back.

Hans
May-03-2006, 11:22am
Front scroll and distressing.

Hans
May-03-2006, 11:23am
Back scroll distressing.

Hans
May-03-2006, 11:25am
Some crazing on the back.

goose 2
May-03-2006, 11:31am
Hans, I really love the look of that mandolin. I know there are some naysayers about distresiinig a new instrument but I for one love the look of it. I have a Distressed Master Model and a non distressed Master Model. I was wondering if the distressing on yours produced a more "aged" tonal response on the distressed mandolin versus one of your new nondistressed mandolins. It certainly makes a difference on the Gibsons.

AlanN
May-03-2006, 11:32am
Can't wait to try that 'old' thing on Sunday...

JEStanek
May-03-2006, 12:16pm
Looks wonderful. You make them look perfect when new and your distressing is excellent. The binding work on the scroll is very '20s Gibsonesque. Great details.

Did you make this one for a collector, a player or both?

Jamie

Flowerpot
May-03-2006, 12:16pm
I can't wait either... but I get to try it Saturday... hee hee.

Bill James
May-03-2006, 4:05pm
I had the pleasure of playing it a couple of weeks ago and you guys are in for a surprise. Admittedly I don't get around much, but considering everything I've played to date, for me it's the new benchmark. It's a monster!

JAK
May-03-2006, 4:13pm
So does anyone get to keep it, or will it be a display model? Hans, I imagine your waiting list for these is starting already!

G. Fisher
May-03-2006, 4:51pm
I got to play the mando last Thursday. For those looking for the core Loar tone in a distressed mando Hans has nailed it. It plays smooth and has that mid range pop associated with the Loar tone. I can't wait to see what he comes up next. I'm sure it will be another in a long line of great mando family instruments.

Scotti Adams
May-03-2006, 5:32pm
Perfect....period

Hans
May-04-2006, 7:09am
James, I would say that the distressing does give a bit of the "aged" tone, but it has nothing to do with the "cosmetics" of distressing. There is no substitute for 10 years (or 93) of hard playing.
Jamie, it's a demo. JAK, I'll have it at Grass Valley, and hope to see you there!

avanti
May-04-2006, 7:54am
I will write more (much more) later, but I do want to say that as the previous owner of a July 9, this is the real deal. It really has the tone and feel of a Loar. And yes, I have one on order.

Rob

wallflower
May-04-2006, 10:49am
Hans -

It looks fantastic!! #The burst, color and binding look really right. #Very nice work.

On this mandolin did you change the graduations to move toward the Loar tone and away from your signature Brentrup tone?

BradB
May-04-2006, 11:59am
But shouldn't it say "The Brentrup" on the headstock? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Hans
May-04-2006, 1:49pm
Thanks Wallflower. The binding is a bit wrong (black line too thin), and the body shape just a tad off, but both will be corrected on the next one. I had Bill James make some "special July 9 binding" for me. The general specs are LL, and graduations were taken from 2 Loars...one rather famous. I had quite a bit of personal contact with a third and got to listen to it a lot. Some intuition was involved, and a couple of new ideas were incorporated into the instrument.
Brad, I'll stick with JBrentrup http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Well, I'm off for some North Carolina hospitality!

AlanN
May-04-2006, 1:57pm
Well, I'm off for some North Carolina hospitality!
Problem is, we may not let you leave...well, maybe you, but not your mandolins http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Gail Hester
May-05-2006, 1:05am
Terrific Hans. Someone needs to record that thing so we can all hear it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Kevin K
May-05-2006, 7:40am
Yes, AlanN, please take some pictures and recordings if you can.

Flowerpot
May-05-2006, 12:06pm
I will try to get a recording of it. A friend is bringing some recording equipment over tomorrow, and Hans is bringing 3 mandolins, and if we can find a quiet moment, we'll try to get them (plus my 2 samples) in front of some nice mics. The hardest part is finding a quiet moment in my house....

Jim Hilburn
May-05-2006, 12:22pm
Hans, that scroll binding is way too nicely done. You need to get in there with a file and hack it up a little.

Gary S
May-05-2006, 1:14pm
If you are interested I could lend you my 22V for your recording.Might make for a good comparison..Gary

Flowerpot
May-06-2006, 9:41pm
He came. I saw. I ordered. No question, gotta have one of these.

It's just plain "got it."

Flowerpot
May-06-2006, 9:45pm
The first note I played told me everything I needed to know about the tone... it brought me right back to Rob's old July 9, and maybe leaning toward Herschel's "Crouch" Loar. From two rooms away, my wife said "Wow," which I took to mean go ahead, get one.

Flowerpot
May-06-2006, 9:48pm
The back again...

Flowerpot
May-06-2006, 9:57pm
Another pic of the "crackle" effect on the back varnish.

We did get some recording done, got to do a little editing first before the clips are available. Stereo-mic'd it with some KM184's. Stay tuned.

craigw
May-06-2006, 10:26pm
Hans, it looks terrific and I'm itchin' to hear and play it. Hopefully you'll return to LoarFest West next February with it in tow. It promises to be another blockbuster event featuring Loar influence on modern day luthiers so this new addition should fit right into the program. Maybe we'll see you at Grass Valley next month if you're planning on coming out west and I'll get to peek at it.

Hans
May-09-2006, 6:55am
Craig, you can peek at it all you want at Grass Valley, I'll be there. Bring Hal! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Tom C
May-09-2006, 8:14am
Oh man I feel like making the trip from NY to check that mando out. Like my mom used to say to me... "too bad I wasn't born rich instead of good looking"
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

TrippingLily
Oct-06-2006, 1:42pm
This mandolin is too good to be true. I can honestly say its perfect.

Mandoborg
Oct-06-2006, 2:52pm
Holy smokes it's even got the ever popular lower point top crack ! SLICK Hans !!!

Jim Combra http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

picksnbits
Oct-06-2006, 3:21pm
If that's the one I played at IBMA, it's pretty doggone cool in person.

Daniel1975
Oct-06-2006, 4:14pm
Wow! I think you might just change a few people's opinions on distressing. I think you changed mine. Excellent!

Mario Proulx
Oct-07-2006, 12:41am
I think you might just change a few people's opinions on distressing.

Exactly what happened to me. When I saw it(maybe it isn't this one, but another, Hans?) at IBMA, it didn't strike me as distressed, but rather, as genuinely, old! I've seen and held a few 'distressed" mandolins before, but none could fool me, but this one could. even as i looked it over and knew it was new and distressed and not old and time-worn, it left its impression on me.

Done to the degree of perfection that Hans pulled off, distressing is an art form in itself with more fine details than can be imagined. That the mandolin itself was also excellent was but a bonus. Easily my favorite mandolin of the '06 IBMA.

DryBones
Oct-07-2006, 7:47am
I'm sorry but I just don't get the whole "distressed" thing no matter who makes it. When I order my first custom mandolin I want that thing to look perfectly new out of the case. I will distress it on my own, I am hard on things. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

edit: not that I have to worry about anybody building a "distressed" lefty! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bill James
Oct-07-2006, 9:17am
"I think you might just change a few people's opinions on distressing."

It happened to me as well. I didn't understand it until I played it, then it grew on me very rapidly. Like your favorite shirt, it's a feel thing and when you play it for a while it just kind of grabs you.

Hans
Oct-07-2006, 5:05pm
Hi Folks, back from IBMA and feel like I slept for a week. Thanks for the kind words Mario and Demetrius and good to see you both again. Bart the one you played was #2...this one is in the care of Flowerpot. My friend Rob has #3. Here's a pix of Frank with it. Rob says he loved it.

K3NTUCKI8oy
Oct-07-2006, 7:57pm
Nice aged looking finish. Sure looks like a hoss to me.

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:05am
I've been remiss in not posting these photos earlier. As many of you know, I owned one of the finest July 9 Loars for several years. So I know how a Loar-style mandolin is supposed to sound and play. This is the real deal. Frank was blown away by it. He thought it sounded just like a Loar. I’m a friend of Hans, and hesitant to appear too enthusiastic about his work on the outernet ever since someone accused me of “shilling” for him at the Kaufman camp several years back. Believe me, Hans doesn’t need to pay me to praise his instruments.

You can see the full-size photos Here (http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/554709990YgTBXi)

Rob Coleman

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:06am
Scroll

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:07am
Front

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:08am
Back

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:09am
Tailpiece

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:10am
Full front

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:12am
Back

avanti
Oct-10-2006, 9:13am
Full back

Flowerpot
Oct-10-2006, 8:25pm
Rob, those are great pics. And don't be shy about telling it the way it is. You have had enough fantastic instruments in your collection to know a great one when you see it and hear it, and you have every right to be enthralled with this one.

As owner now of #1, seen in the earlier pics, I can tell you that this is an amazing instrument that to me captures the core vintage tone and projects it with authority. I know there can be too much hype and excess noise about certain builders at various times, so I too have tried to lay back and avoid sounding like a shill for Hans. But I make no apologies for being excited about this mandolin.

billy parker
Oct-11-2006, 12:53pm
Hi all, I played Loyd as well as every other mandolin that Hans had at his IBMA booth for a great deal of time. I have to say that as noted in a previous post, Loyd doesn't look distressed, Loyd looks old. Loyd doesn't just look old, Loyd sounds old!!!!!!!! An amazing instrument that, at 3 months old sounds 50 years old and is sweet as they come.
My day on Friday at IBMA was spent sampling mandolins from every builder at the trade show and Hans' work is amazing. I am also pleased to say that I left the Trade Show and Nashville as a proud owner of a Brentrup 23V and I can't even fully express what an instrument this is. Deep, woody bass, punchy mid range and highs that don't just vibrate, they sing!! Playability is like butter and volume-wise, the instrument pops like no other I have played and fills a room. Anybody on the 18th floor of the Hotel for the next couple of days may be able to attest to that!!!

Mando Medic
Oct-20-2006, 6:04pm
As I live and breath, Billy Parker. I'd lost touch with you my friend. Please contact me off line at MandoMedic@comcast.net. Ken Cartwright

Hans
Oct-26-2006, 7:24am
Folks, it was just amazing to hear Billy Parker play the instruments. This guy is a really fantastic mandolin player!!! He has a great attack, and knows exactly how to pull tone out of the instruments. His playing is effortless, and looks completely "off the top". At one point Jesse Cobb stopped by and they played some duets together. I was totally enthralled by a couple of amazing pickers trading licks!