PDA

View Full Version : F5-G Owners

LeftCoastMark
Apr-08-2004, 6:50pm
My Gibson F5-G, now 6 months old is starting to really open up. I wish it had a little more on the bass end, but the trebles, even up high on the neck, are clean with fine intonation.

There is always a lot of talk around here about the Master Model's, but I'm living day to day with the working man's Gibson. The F5-G. I'd like to hear some reviews, good or bad, about this instrument, particularly those of recent vintage.

F5-G's are the bottom end of the top of the line mandolin's: Gibson. How's yours breaking in? What do you know about the woods used in these instruments? Have you had any luck with modifications?

Bobbie Dier
Apr-08-2004, 9:42pm
I have one that was made in Montana signed by Steve Carlson and has wierd serial #. Does anyone know what might be going on with an unusual serial # Did they not put the year on them when they were making them in Montana?

I love my Gibson. It's very well broken in, opened up. John Arnold did a refret for me last Aug. A few years before that he cut Florida off of the map. Well he scooped it off of the map. I wouldn't trade it for any other one. If hard times hit it'd be the LAST thing to go. Don't even want to think about it.
ima

jim simpson
Apr-08-2004, 10:53pm
Like imapickn, I love my F5-G! It is a 91' made in Nashville. I have never before owned a mando that got as many compliments as this one. I always get approached at gigs asking about it with praise (not for my playing!!). I like having 2 mandolins so one can be available if the other is being refretted or if a string gets broken during a gig, I can grab the other one. I am currently planning to get rid of my Weber Yellowstone so I can get a 2nd F5-G. I believe the F-9 replaced the F5-G as being the least expensive model in the F5 line.

pickinNgrinnin
Apr-08-2004, 11:12pm
LeftCoastMark-

Gibson's Dean, Charlie Derrington, has stated here that a tone bar braced Mandolin like the F-5G will take up to 4 years to fully open. I would not worry too much yet about the low end as I suspect it will be coming around. I had an F-5G for awhile but the previous owner set it up with a pretty radical radius on the fretboard. I just could not get used to it.

MandoA5
Apr-08-2004, 11:22pm
My F5G is almost a year old and really is opening up. It's got a great midrange and a great cut to it as well. I'm still lusting after a Doyle Lawson Sig. model, though. My store is due for another one soon, I might have to part with the F5G to start buying the Doyle. The neck is a lower profile on the Doyle than the F5G, but the sound really is nice on my G.

Jaded
Apr-09-2004, 8:16pm
My F5G is about a year and half old. It has opened up a lot. Mine actually is more notable on the bass side than the treble sound. One of my friends comment was "this is a Bill Monroe mandolin."

I have received a lot of compliments on the sound of the mandolin. If I were gonna buy a higher end Gibson it would probably be the Bush or the Steffey, however I don't think I could part with my G to finance it.

jaybee
Apr-12-2004, 10:03am
I'm crying my heart out. Fixing to get into the festival jammin' season...my F5G is at Gibson being refretted & tuned. I cannot say enough good about the sound a playability of that machine. I love it. I've received many compliments on its sound. It's an '02 model and great. I can't wait to get it back. Soon I hope. BTW if the only mandolin I have played that I liked better is the Doyle Lawson model. For me it's a "killer" neck profile.

ronlane3
Apr-12-2004, 9:11pm
Hey JayBee, sorry to hear that. Look me up Saturday night, we play in Owasso at the Green Country. By the way, Mike Bostic has an F-9 for sale to tie you over.