PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to hear more Jethro Burns?

Tully
May-01-2006, 12:11am
Playing stuff like this, instead of Homer & Jethro stuff?

Jethro's Tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di5hPbybYMc&search=mandolin)

cooper4205
May-01-2006, 1:01am
Swing Low Sweet Mandolin is available on i-tunes. he does a killer version of "Body and Soul". i think "swing low" and "bye-bye blues" are his only solo cd. he also had some cuts with red rector which are nice. i have only heard them, but just search for his name in itunes. you don't have to buy ther but it's pretty good for finding that one song on an album and such.

Keith Miller
May-01-2006, 3:54am
try this linklessons with jethro (www.robcoleman.com)

Keith Miller
May-01-2006, 3:55am
That link didnt work, lets try again !
http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/index.html

AlanN
May-01-2006, 5:36am
The 1981 Austin City Limits DVD floating around has that tune, plus a few others with Tiny Moore and Johnny Gimble.

Brad Weiss
May-01-2006, 6:29am
Don't forget "Back to Back"- new(ish) double cd release of Tiny and Jethro, with E. Shamblin backing 'em up- as on the Austin City Limits DVD

swampstomper
May-01-2006, 6:53am
The Wikipedia listing for "Jethro Burns" has a fairly complete list of his mando work; there is a link to the Homer & Jethro page. Don't forget the Country Fiddlers budget LP -- AFAIK not on CD.

jom
May-01-2006, 7:35am
He also plays with Steve Goodman on one of Goodman's "Live" Compilations

SternART
May-01-2006, 9:12am
Acoustic Disc has a coupla CD's Bye Bye blues and Swing Low, mentioned above by Cooper4205 with Jethro backed up by Don Steirnberg on guitar, all instrumental Duets. Back to Back is also on Acoustic Disc.

May-01-2006, 9:55am
Jethro played a lot with Steve Goodman. Look for any of Goodman's CD's that show Jethro as one of the musicians.

Jim Yates
May-01-2006, 10:05am
Try TEA FOR ONE or PLAYING IT STRAIGHT (with Homer, but not H&J stuff)
There's a record with no name, just the names of the players. I can't remember them all, but Vassar Clements, Norman Blake and I think Sam Bush were on it. I think it was on Flying Fish. He has one, I think on Acoustic Disc with Tiny Moore that was produced by David Grisman I think.
I have a Wade Ward album with Jethro on mandolin although he gets no credit on the album cover. It's all fiddle tunes, but great mandolin.
I don't have access to my record collection right now. I'm at the library. I hope someone will correct or clarify my suggestions.

AlanN
May-01-2006, 10:40am
Yes, the FF record - Dave Holland on bass, cool thing from the 70's. The BG record was with Wade Ray on fiddle, with Nashville guys in the rhythm section. Has Jethro's famous Back and Push solo.

SternART
May-01-2006, 11:01am
Here are a coupla more S'Wonderful 4 Giants of Swing w/ Jethro, Joe Venuti, Elson Shamblin, & Curley Chalker on Flying Fish
or Peter Ostroushko's "Buddies of Swing" on Red House. It has Peter, with Jethro & Johnny Gimble among others. As I recall
Jethro plays on a few cuts from Sam Bush's first solo CD, Late as Usual, on Rounder.

Playing it Straight & It Ain't Necessarily Square are hard to find, but should be in every Jethrophile's collection. I got a Japanese Import of both on one CD years ago.....Man.....Homer really could swing those chords! Tea for One was on Kaleidescope, a live solo show I attended in Berkeley, as I recall. I don't think it has come out on CD, you'd probably need to find the vinyl.

Tully
May-02-2006, 3:58am
Thanks for all the replies! That "lessons with Jethro" page is awsome. I'm on the lookout for all the other recomendations as well!

Martin Jonas
May-02-2006, 4:12am
Jethro played a lot with Steve Goodman. Look for any of Goodman's CD's that show Jethro as one of the musicians.
And indeed on the Steve Goodman Austin City Limits (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008AOSZ/qid=1146561036/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-4109730-1789754?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130) DVD, which has Jethro on a number of tracks from the early 1980s.

Martin

AlanN
May-02-2006, 7:26am
I recall a version of "The Lady is a Tramp" somewhere on the net, with Jethro and Don on electric mandolins, I think Jethro's son on guitar and N. Seroka on electric bass. Don takes a blistering chorus or two. That man can burn it.

Big Joe
May-02-2006, 11:12am
I get to hear Dave Harvey play almost anytime I want. He loves to play that old Jethro stuff, and he can do it very well. He took lessons from Jethro in the day. Very cool stuff!

Bill Snyder
May-02-2006, 9:45pm
Rhapsody (http://www.rhapsodydirect.com/co/real/01/rhapsody_lp3.asp?sid=M2AG4004iGS) has the Swing Low Sweet Mandolin album and the album Back to Back (with Tiny Moore) available for listening or download.

Jim Yates
May-03-2006, 11:31am
Jackie Washington is one of my guitar/vocal heros. I recall watching him at a small Mariposa acoustic stage about 20 years ago. Jethro was the next performer and he showed up about 15 minutes early. He got out his mandolin and started playing along with Jackie's old standards. Jackie turned around and gave him a big grin and he hopped up on the stage, actually just a six inch tall 4x8 platform in a clearing, and they played a few tunes together. A great musical moment.

Steve Davis
May-03-2006, 2:32pm
Three short video clips here. (http://www.youtube.com/results?search=homer+and+jethro&search_type=search_videos)

man0mando
May-03-2006, 3:19pm
along with Playin' it Straight with Homer on guitar, there was It Ain't Necessarily Square - i'm not sure how available those are, a few years ago i ended up ordering them from japan - never been able to figure out the liner notes either!

dave