PDA

View Full Version : Clay Jones "Mountain Tradition"

Big Juan
Apr-28-2006, 4:37pm
I just picked up Clay Jones CD "Mountain Tradition". In addition to Clay's great guitar picking he has Adam Steffey doing his thing on the mandolin, Ron Stewart playing some awesome breaks on the banjo, etc. There are 13 tracks on this CD...all instrumentals except for two "Word Songs". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif They are almost all old time standards (Salt Creek, Clinch Mountain Backstep, Black Mountain Rag, Big Mon, etc.), but the arrangements are fresh. All of the picking is clean, smooth, and tastefully done. Even though I've heard these songs thousands of times by various other musicians, I find myself playing this CD over and over.

sgarrity
Apr-28-2006, 5:08pm
Yup I agree. I got this one when it came out and it's been in the regular rotation ever since. Of course Steffey is great on the mandolin but Clay really shines on the guitar too.

Shaun

skyblue
Apr-28-2006, 7:05pm
I've had the "Mountain Traditions" album for several weeks
now and I've enjoyed hearing many of the members of the group Mountain Heart do more traditional songs. I admire
Adam Steffey's mandolin work. His playing is so clean and so smooth. He doesn't seem obsessed with speed but more the
clarity of tone. Maybe in 20 years I'll play with such technique. I like Jim Vancleve's fiddle playing. He has a
new album coming out in May. I play a lot of Mountain Heart
in my sound system. Clay Jones now gets regular rotation.