PDA

View Full Version : New mandobird setup

Mteresko
Apr-08-2004, 10:16am
Just got my new Mandobird, and love it already. However the action seems a little high, as others have reported, especially at the 1st fret. I thought I would try to do the setup myself, and am wondering to what specs others have set their action. Any advice would be most welcome.

peterbc
Apr-08-2004, 11:54am
I lowered mine at the bridge only. It seems good to me, but someone said that I could get it lower by lowering it at the nut as well. I've sorta considered replacing the nut altogether with a bone nut, but I've given in to laziness and havn't so far. As for specs, I just tried to take it to where it felt comfortable. I found that that was lower than on an acoustic because the single strings seem to cut more (not sure if this is my imagination, but after a while it my my fingertips sore which almost never happens anyore).

Peter

Pete Braccio
Apr-09-2004, 12:55am
Hi ya,

I got mine today as well. I also lowered the action at the bridge considerably. It plays much better now.

I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this mando. The wood, finish, and "tone" are all great. I had a lot of doubts about what $180 was going to get me, but it turned out that this is one nice little package.

Pete

Tom C
Apr-09-2004, 6:54am
Where did you get your's from? Anyone?

Mteresko
Apr-09-2004, 10:51am
I got mine from Music123 (http://www.music123.com/?siteID=iqNQPCyRetc-r9ZKN1rtcyjUqwqRuDofBg).

Pete Braccio
Apr-09-2004, 1:52pm
I got mine from Woodwinds & Brasswinds (http://www.wwbw.com/Epiphone-Mandobird-IV-i53886.music). I had it on order since January, so I paid the old price for it.

Pete

peterbc
Apr-09-2004, 6:50pm
I got mine from American Music in Seattle. My roomate called them and asked if they had any in stock, they did, and I bought. I got to play it before I bought with the amp I was getting, it was great!

Mteresko
Apr-21-2004, 2:23pm
I lowered the action at the bridge and still wasn't happy, so I brought my Mandobird over to my local shop (Fifth String in Berkeley), where they worked on the nut and adjusted the intonation. It is hugely improved for a mere $30! I am more than pleased, as are my kids with the new incredibly cool "tiny electric guitar". And, at the price I paid, I don't have to worry too much about them playing it. However, this will not be the case when I receive my new Wiens F5!

Ted Eschliman
Apr-29-2004, 1:25pm
This discussion thread is not an appropriate place for me to do commerce, so I'll be brief and mention 3 Mandobirds landed in my shipping room door this morning. We've had them on order for 11 months, so I doubt I'll have them very long...
Anyone interested, email me offline for details. Hurry.

duuuude
Apr-29-2004, 3:45pm
Oooooh, maybe that means mine will be on it's way soon as well. Sorry Ted, shoulda thought of you before oredering elsewhere but ya know how impulsive them MAS attacks can make ya, get yer mind all cloudy & stuff.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

M. Hollen
May-10-2004, 4:16pm
I've just lowered mine at the bridge. BTW, is anyone aware of a hard case that a 'bird will fit into. I really don't like the gigbag.

peterbc
May-10-2004, 9:18pm
Yeah, the gigbag sucks. I'd been considering getting a rectangle case for cheap and converting it, but havn't found a cheap one yet...

FiddleConvert
May-24-2004, 11:42am
Good to hear the mandobird is getting some positive nods. Anyone know of who has a mandobird VIII in stock? I've got one on backorder from musiciansfriend but would love to get one sooner.

disco
Jun-30-2004, 11:08am
Has anyone else had a problem with the intonation of their Mandobird? I just picked up a brand new one, and when I took it in to get a good setup job done on it they told me that the bridge is in the wrong place, by about .25" You can't move the bridge on these things, and it's far enough out that you can't adjust the saddles enough to compensate... Are they all like that, or would this be a return/warranty issue?

thanks

mandozark
Jul-01-2004, 7:04am
I just ran into this problem too. Tried to set it myself then took it in to a shop. He told me that he was unable to set it. Either the hole through the body or the bridge plate would have to be moved. #I guess I'm sending mine back. Hope to get this taken care of because it really is very satisfactory otherwise.

Londy
Oct-09-2011, 8:56pm
Can someone tell me how to adjust the bridge on this?

Ed Goist
Oct-09-2011, 9:12pm
Ha!...I was right!
Congratulations, Londy!
Please post pics.

bolannta
Oct-09-2011, 10:10pm
Mandobirds may require the neck to be shimmed to lower the action into the playable range.
Mine needed two thicknesses of a business card.

Soundfarmer Pete
Oct-10-2011, 12:25am
Bolannta makes a good point....I had a 4 string and the neck was pointing at a very odd angle so the saddles were flat on the bridge plate (with nasty long adjusting screws poking out) and still the action was hideous.
Once shimmed, it was then possible to adjust the setup.
I`m assuming the intonation issues are that the saddles aren`t going far enough back (notes sharp at octave) so might just be that once the action is sorted, then less pressure needed to fret string so note less sharp so less bridge compensation.......