PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Springsteen

glauber
Apr-26-2006, 11:19am
I read about this album yesterday and it got my attention. This morning i stopped by a Starbucks and they had it, so i'm listening to it now. It's a CD/DVD combo.

It's basically Bruce and a large acoustic band playing Pete-Seeger-ish material (some Seeger, some trad, no Springsteen material).

What a blast!

The instrumentation sounds wrong to me (it sounds very New Orleans to me). But who cares? And Springsteen was born to sing this kind of material. It should do him good.

This is an album to listen to loud in the car, with the windows open, and bellowing the songs with Bruce at full voice. Good stuff!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bruce's credits say voice, guitar and mandolin. I'm not sure i have heard the mandolin yet.

Tom C
Apr-26-2006, 12:44pm
When I first when about this project it scared the living pajeebus out of me. I am not a Springsteen fan and can only imagine the worse. I'm sure I will hear it some day.

glauber
Apr-26-2006, 12:58pm
It's good, trust me. Just a bunch of musicians having fun. Big jam session. Maybe a little too loud.

SternART
Apr-26-2006, 1:22pm
I liked what I saw on Good Morning America......they filled a NJ theater with Bruce fanatics playing hookie from work
and the Big Band played a coupla tunes. It was good time music & there were some great solos.....fella on fiddle
tore it up. It did sound like New Orleans influenced music & Bruce indeed sang his heart out! I hope there are tunes
on the CD without ALL the musicians......some smaller ensembles on a few tunes IMO would be welcome.

I like it when an artist might turn their fans on to something they don't know about. Seeger
CD's might see a spike in sales. I learned about roots music from the Dead, BG & Monroe from OAITW, never hearda
Vassar before then.....learned about Django from The Great American String Band w/ Grisman & Richard Greene, etc

glauber
Apr-26-2006, 1:38pm
Yes, unfortunately, no little ensembles, just the big sound. They did include the earlier (1997) recording of We Shall Overcome, which is more intimate, almost turned into a love song - you gotta hear it to believe.

250sc
Apr-27-2006, 11:29am
Tom C,

sorry to hear about your "pajeebus".

I've heard the CD. Kind of rough around the edges for me but maybe it will turn a new generation on to the music I grew up with.

glauber
Apr-27-2006, 4:01pm
You know, i really like that "We Shall Overcome". The guy has guts to do that song... but he pulls it out. And he manages to say "darlin'" without sounding like Elvis, which was probably the hardest part. Real pretty accordion arrangement.

I was surprised to see that it is a copyrighted song, by the way. I always assumed it was trad.

Nick Royal
Apr-30-2006, 6:04pm
If you want to learn something about Pete Seeger, there is a nice profile on him in the recent New Yorker magazine, April 17, 2006.
Nick Royal
Santa Cruz, CA

glauber
Apr-30-2006, 8:36pm
If you want to learn something about Pete Seeger, there is a nice profile on him in the recent New Yorker magazine, April 17, 2006.
Nick Royal
Santa Cruz, CA
Is that available online?

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_seeger) has a good summary.

Jeff A
Apr-30-2006, 8:57pm
Pete was at Merlefest today having himself a good old time. I watched some at the little pickers tent for kids. Any of you that know me know I am not a little picker. So I didn't stay long. He sounded good and seemed to be enjoying his time on stage.

glauber
Apr-30-2006, 10:38pm
Jeff, that's cool.

Mace
May-07-2006, 2:35pm
Bruce has my 10 year old daughter singing old Dan Tucker and pulling out the old song books. Three cheers for returning classics to the mainstream

Mandoe
May-07-2006, 7:54pm
Caught the CMT show on the making of this CD this weekend. Pretty good stuff. Bruce rocked these classics. And seemed to really enjoy himself. This CD may be a part of my collection real soon.

MDW
May-07-2006, 10:17pm
I just put the CD on my must buy list after watching the CMT special. In the documentary Springsteen it's clear that he has a sound he's after in his head and communicates it very effectly to the musicians present. He's in control of the artistic direction while respecting the other musicians present. Yes, he seemingly gives the New Orleans treatment to most of the songs but he states in the video that is the intention - to recontextualize the music so it sounds fresh again and thereby gives the songs new life. If you like acoustic music, you'll probably like this stuff. If you're not into drums, don't worry the it's basically a very small kit - just snare and kick. Very roots oriented with a lot of energy.

Daniel Nestlerode
May-07-2006, 10:24pm
#If you like acoustic music, you'll probably like this stuff. #If you're not into drums, don't worry the it's basically a very small kit - just snare and kick. #Very roots oriented with a lot of energy.
...and no mandolin

But that just makes it a good CD for playing along. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Daniel

glauber
May-07-2006, 10:29pm
...and no mandolin
Bruce has mandolin credits. I supposed he overdubbed some somewhere. I have listened to the CD a few times and haven't heard it yet. It doesn't show up in the DVD either.

Ken Berner
May-08-2006, 8:17am
glauber, I just happened to have that program on the tube, but was not listening UNTIL I woke up to the music that was being played. It quickly dawned on me that the songs sounded very familiar and connected them to Pete Seeger. It was really fun to see and hear all of that once more, and by such an out-of-character artist. Pete and Mike were both at MerleFest recently.

Martin Jonas
May-17-2006, 4:48am
Just a head-up to Cafe members in the UK: the BBC is showing a one-hour live concert of Springsteen's Seeger material this Friday. #Details (and a 20-minute streamed preview) here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/features/bruce-springsteen.shtml), streamed audio of the full concert here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/whatson/springsteen_live.shtml).

Martin

ira
May-17-2006, 10:18pm
that 20 minute preview is awesome! the john henry alone is worth listening. thanks for posting it. tons of fun!

Ken Sager
May-18-2006, 12:51am
I backed up Pete Seeger one evening in '92. He came to SLC to play and sing for a children's dance troupe. I spent an evening playing guitar with him while he sang and played his long-neck banjo for a hundred or so kids and their 500 parents... It was a first rehearsal for his performance later that week. I didn't get to do the show as they had hired a band, but that evening is one I'll long remember.

I grew up listening to Pete's songs. I've heard a few of Springsteen's versions and I like what I heard.

Joe F
May-19-2006, 10:10am
The banjo player in our Saturday old-timey circle was raving about this CD last week (in a positive way). #He recommended watching the DVD first, before listening to the CD, since it shows a lot of the interplay between musicians as the tunes got going -- very much like a jam feeling.

I haven't seen/heard it yet, but it's on my list.

chuck.naill
May-20-2006, 8:47am
for a hundred or so kids and their 500 parents
Must be that new math. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I have only heard the Nine Pound Hammer song. It seemed pretty noisey to me. I am probably too conservative, but I like for old timey to sound that way.

Van Halen is getting into the old time stuff to. Are these guys changing over or just getting into the popularity of traditional music?

glauber
May-20-2006, 9:52am
Van Halen is getting into the old time stuff to. Are these guys changing over or just getting into the popularity of traditional music?
"A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B" (Abe Simpson)

chuck.naill
May-20-2006, 12:40pm
"A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B" (Abe Simpson)

I have no idea what this means, but if you are saying that they are diversifying, I doubt it.

Chuck

madog99
Jun-01-2006, 9:44pm
I'm a big Bruce fan to start with but I love this disc . I really like that NO sound .but yeah where's the mando ? I had to dub myself on to to "pay me my money down" in a fit of boredom . It was crying for that Orleans mando sound .He should have put a mando up front on that one for sure .

thistle3585
Jun-22-2006, 9:14pm
I absolutely can not stand Bruce Springsteen, but this is one of the best albums I've heard all year. I don't think you can go wrong with this album. It was one of those very pleasant surprises like Mermaid Avenue by Billy Bragg and Wilco.

JEStanek
Jun-23-2006, 8:33am
I finally got a copy and really like it. I'm so happy to see these tunes reinterpretted in such a manner. This is a good buy. Plus, his tour on this may turn some people on to folk music, double bonus.

Jamie

devilsbox
Jun-25-2006, 1:24pm
I like Bruce, but when I first heard about the "Seeger Sessions" I was not impressed by the inclusion of brass and drums. Well, after hearing it, I was wrong! It's almost like a new genre of music. I still prefer the string band sound, but this CD really works.

hellindc
Jun-29-2006, 12:17am
I'm still trying to find the mando. Springsteen was on Conan O'Brien (who seemed to actually know how to play guitar when he ws sitting-in), and there was a mando player in the second row of musicians. I don't know why; you couldn't hear any chops.

But I love the CD. Springsteen's voice brings out a grittiness that somehow I never heard in these songs. Pay My Money Down and John Henry are especially impressive.