PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Playmate (Dean) TNAE

grafik-obsessions
Apr-08-2004, 2:14am
I have played guitar for forty years and always seem to put my own custom accessorys into each and every one. #Even my Fender MIM tele had to undergo a transformation to please me. #Would I be totally crazy to take a $129.95 Chineese Laminate a-style and do things like change the bridge ,add a tusq nut and (i already put a set of elixr polyweb lights on it)add a solid one piece tail piece?

John Flynn
Apr-08-2004, 7:21am
Just MHO, but I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear," as my grandmother used to say, it's not going to happen. That laminate will never sound like a Loar. That is no put-down to inexpensive Pac Rim mandos. I learned on one after playing guitar for 20 years and I am proud of it. But they are what they are.

On the other hand, if you are trying to learn and practice basic luthiery skills, and in the process marginally improve a low-risk instrument and put your "personal stamp" on it, I would go for it. I would not start with replacing stuff as you describe, though. If you are going to spend some time and the money, my advice would be to buy some basic luthiery tools and learn to do a complete set up on the Dean. The return on the time and money spent, in terms of the improvement in the instrument and the increase in your personal learning, would be greater. I did this on my $200 travel mando and I was amazed at the improvement. I got a lot of personal satisfaction out of doing it also.

Then, once you have the set up right, think about going on to fit a new nut and bridge. I think the tailpiece might only have a marginal return for the money. I would probably look a better tuners before doing that. Again, just MHO. Whatever you decide to do with be right for you. Good luck with it!

grafik-obsessions
Apr-09-2004, 1:39am
does anyone out there want to make me an offer on this little gem? lol http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif just kiddimg i think i'll keeper to continue practicing on. that way my chops will have to sound good when i finally get to own a real mando. adeiu