PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Finding A Picture

Alex Fields
Apr-24-2006, 10:07pm
Sim didn't quite follow when I was describing the finish colors I wanted and he wanted me to find some pictures that were close to what I wanted. I've seen mandolins like what I want, I know they exist, but I can't find any pictures that are really close. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want a dark brown (almost like chocolate, but even darker) sunburst that fades to black. The closest things I can find right now are the Rattlesnake and the Cross at Gruhn Guitars, but I'd like some other (hopefully better) examples.

craigmurray
Apr-25-2006, 5:13pm
My mandoiln is close to what you are describing, but it doesn't fade out to black, but a very dark chocolate (although it looks black unless you are in bright light). You can check it out here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=27913;hl=heiden). #I spent forever trying to find of photo of a mandolin for Michael to work from, but couldn't dig one up. #He nailed the look I was going for just from my verbal description. #I love dark mandos like you are describing. #Be sure to post a photo when it is complete
Good luck
Craig

ourgang
Apr-25-2006, 5:38pm
Tell him you want a DARK Cremona Brown burst with NO red. That's what Ken Ratcliff did on my Silverangel #127. Looks great. A real vintage look.

van
Apr-25-2006, 6:23pm
Like this? Walnut burst

Alex Fields
Apr-25-2006, 6:35pm
That Heiden is fairly close in color to what I'm thinking of--something like the first varnish mandolin in Sim's photo gallery with that dark brown color in the sunburst. Nice looking instrument by the way--I love the one piece back, I would never order a mandolin without one...I think mine may be the only one piece Sim has done.

Thanks to all responses.

ledmandlin
Apr-25-2006, 9:54pm
Thanks, Alex, for bringing up this topic and, Craig, for sharing your pics. I've already spent too much time ogling (okay, drooling http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif)over your collaboration with Michael, but all of this adds to a sense of purpose. This finish is one of my very favorites, with a black or tortoiseshell binding and I congratulate you both on the direction you took, Craig, and are taking, Alex.

Alex Fields
Apr-25-2006, 10:36pm
Thanks. : ) I'm actually getting white binding though...I originally told Sim I wanted black, which he said he could get, but after seeing how the white binding looks on his darker finished, varnished instruments I changed my mind.