PDA

View Full Version : Arm rest for Rigel?

ohohman
Apr-08-2004, 1:11am
Has anyone found an arm rest that fits the radiused edge of a Rigel? I use a tone guard. I wonder if there is anything that would work in conjunction with that.

John Flynn
Apr-08-2004, 7:39am
The John Pearse "Junior" model armrest comes pretty close to the curve of the Rigel top and sticks on with adhesive. It would probably be the way to go.

http://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm

Having said that, however, I want to add that I am a Rigel owner who used to use an arm rest on my former mandolin. IMHO, the Rigel doesn't need one. The top edge is not sharp so it doesn't cut into your arm, the sound producing part of the top does not go all the way to the edge, so you are not dampening the top by resting on the edge and the nitro finish is so substantial that perspiration would never hurt it. That knocks down all the reasons for using an arm rest in my book.

Mando Medic
Apr-08-2004, 8:40am
I agree with you jflynnstl. You really don't need an armrest on most Rigels. Though you do need a Tone Gard. Kenc

John Flynn
Apr-08-2004, 10:30am
Though you do need a Tone Gard
Strictly your opinion, not mine. As Mike Compton said at his workshop when asked about tone cages, "I've never seen the need to put a catcher's mask on the back of my mandolin. You just have to know how to hold the instrument properly."

I happen to agree with Mike. While I have nothing against any accessory anyone wants to use or recommend, I do find it annoying when people try to justify thier choices by telling others they "need" it also.

Besides, we haven't had a good tone gard fight on the Cafe' in a while. We're due. Bring on the flames! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mcarufe
May-02-2004, 2:52pm
Vern Brekke at Soundtoearth makes one out of ebony with the solid tailpiece built in. They bull nosed the radius at my request and want to make sure you are completly satisfied. Improves sound and playability for me. Also theirs does not look like an add-on but rather built for even though I am not fortunate enough to have mine on a Weber. Do yourself a favor and check them out before you consider any of the ones that clamp on like violin chin rests. These look and function way better because the ebony extends past the tail. Get yourself a wood nymph while you are at it and keep your wrist comfotable too!!!
Mike

John Flynn
May-02-2004, 8:21pm
The Weber armrest/tailpiece is nice, but I don't see how it would work on a Rigel, due to the radiused sides and the unique way Rigel attaches thier tailpieces. Anyone tried one on a Rigel?