PDA

View Full Version : Case for Gibson A-1

waynebien
Apr-23-2006, 6:54pm
I just bought this 1914 Gibson A-1 and it does not have a case. How important is it, in long-term value, to find a Gibson case from the same era for it? See picture in next message.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

waynebien
Apr-23-2006, 7:32pm
I am trying again to display the picture.

chuck.naill
Apr-23-2006, 9:08pm
I use a TKL Tweed arch top for my Eastman 504 which is the same size as your Gibson. Greg Boyd, their site supports MC, has them for sale in the $70 range The only thing to consider is that they lack much storage capacity.

Steve at Gianna Violins, has some Eastman fiberglass cases if you prefer those.

chuck

Loren Bailey
Apr-23-2006, 9:11pm
Wayne,

It's funny that you bring this up. I too have a '14 A1 that I purchased without a case. At the time I didn't think anything of it as I have it in a case that is probably better. But now I find myself searching the auction site looking for a vintage case so my baby can be whole again.

As for the price, there are more knowledgable folks on here than I but from what I've seen it would probably bump the price up $1-200. I've been outbid twice on cases and both times the case went for $125 or so.

Loren

Ken Waltham
Apr-23-2006, 9:48pm
I think it needs a case, and a pickguard!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dan Cohen
Apr-24-2006, 6:24am
My 1927 A came with a real loose fitting cheap case. I have an Eastman case for another mandolin but my A will not fit into the otherwise pretty cool Eastman A/F case. The neck is too short so the peghead is overlapping the narrow neck area of the case. I've been looking too but can't get myself to spend $100's for an old beat up case.

I'm not an expert here but I can't imagine that a case would increase the long term value of the instrument by any more than the value of the case.

JEStanek
Apr-24-2006, 7:12am
I don't think the Eastman fiberglass case works with their short neck mandos. I've asked and been told no. I really wish they did. I would like one of those for my 814.

Jamie

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-24-2006, 1:34pm
I think it is more of a saleability thing. #They are easier to sell when everything is there. #But with respect to price, it probably doesn't affect it anywhere near the amount required to buy the case (or pickguard).

Example: $1000 a-model with inlaid tuners, nice case, pickguard and tailpiece. Tuners might bring $600, case might bring $200, tailpiece might bring $200, pickguard might bring $200. How much is the a-model worth without those original parts? negative $200, NOT

waynebien
Apr-24-2006, 3:41pm
Thanks for all of the information... it gives me some guidlines.

I am a player, not an investor; although I was taken by George Gruhn's statement, "they are unique among investments and collectibles because you can play them while they are growing in value." The dealer I bought it from told me with a little attention (pickguard etc.) it could be an excellent collector's piece; however, it is ready for the true player right as it stands. It seems like the "little attention" made a big difference in the price. It was $200-$300 less than A-1's or A's that were more suitable for a collector. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim Garber
Apr-24-2006, 8:40pm
Get yourself a decent hardshell case and don't bother with a vintage one. The contemporary ones -- even the $39 Musician's Friend ones -- are better at protecting your instrument than the vintage ones.

Jim

waynebien
May-08-2006, 2:07pm
First I need to say, I do not work for this company and have no financial interest. I found a new case on eBay that fits my mandolin perfectly. It was a fraction of the cost and seems to have more protection than an original case would offer. It is made by Guardian model CG-020-MA.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Eric F.
May-08-2006, 3:57pm
I keep my 1915 A in a Guardian Lite Case. It was $29.99 from MF.

bgmando
May-10-2006, 7:08pm
My teens A came without a case. I looked a long time for a vintage without luck, before eBay came along.

I bought a Gator case at a dealer that's a long way from authentic. But it was cheap and works great.