PDA

View Full Version : Poe #5 in progress!

F5G WIZ
Apr-21-2006, 6:25pm
Another picture Andy sent me today, this one will be mine! Great to see it coming together. Will post more pics as they become available.

Skip Kelley
Apr-21-2006, 8:48pm
That's a killer looking piece of maple! Can't wait to see that with some stain! Andy's work is awesome!

ShaneJ
Apr-21-2006, 8:48pm
Looks cool! Has he always used side braces? Is it a "tone thing" or an "I don't want any problems later" thing?

That back wood is awesome!!!

JEStanek
Apr-21-2006, 8:54pm
Back wood is neato, for sure. It's very interesting to see a custom builders progress from wood in the raw to work of art. This will be a fun one to wacth.

Jamie

F5G WIZ
Apr-21-2006, 9:13pm
Don't know about the side braces. I know Andy is very concerned about his instruments being around in a hundred years and he intends to build them to last. The back peice of quilted maple is from the same board that he built his DW #17. I asked him to send me a picture of the back peice. Should look very much like #17. (See attached picture). I will post new pictures as I receive them.

Ken Sager
Apr-21-2006, 10:08pm
Sha...

Ken Sager
Apr-21-2006, 10:09pm
ZAM!!!

That's maple? Good looking piece of wood, that!

grandmainger
Apr-22-2006, 2:51am
#Has he always used side braces? #Is it a "tone thing" or an "I don't want any problems later" thing? #
I have Driftwood #14, and it has side braces, so he's been using these for a while. I can't imagine it affests the tone much, as it's no wider than the kerfed lining... I guess it is a "I don't want any problems later" thing http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Germain

gwalt
Apr-22-2006, 10:57am
WOW! That wood looks like it could be a liquid. Awesome piece of maple.

F5G WIZ
Apr-22-2006, 10:07pm
Here is another picture of the roughed in Back.

F5G WIZ
May-03-2006, 2:32pm
Here are the latest pics of my Mandolin, it's coming along beautifully and that back is going to really be a stunner!

F5G WIZ
May-03-2006, 2:33pm
And the back!

grandmainger
May-03-2006, 3:20pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif Am I seeing things?

Lane Pryce
May-03-2006, 4:06pm
Darren that is some crazy good wood. You'll have a mandolin to be proud of for sure. Its cool watching your mandolin come to life. I received my Mowry last week after watching it take shape since Febuary. The pictoral is a first class teaser. Lp

F5G WIZ
May-03-2006, 4:14pm
Awesome Germain!! Got a good laugh out of that! Thanks.
JLP, Yeah I am really excited about it. It is going to be an awesome mandolin! Even though I had no part in building it, knowing that I had a big part in picking every detail and option makes it so much more personal. Hope you are happy with your Mowry. Do you have pics posted somewhere on the Cafe?

Scotti Adams
May-03-2006, 5:34pm
Looks real nice Darrin....cant wait to see it in person.

Lane Pryce
May-03-2006, 7:07pm
#Hope you are happy with your Mowry. #Do you have pics posted somewhere on the Cafe?
Darrin I couldn't be happier. Its great listening to the tone develop. Do I have pics? Yeah they are all in the "post a pic of your mando" forum. There are 4 or 5 threads entitled "Mowry A." Check them out. I went with AD Red Spruce top, Quilted maple, James tp, Gotoh tuners, and the chestnut stain that Andrew has become famous for.
You are in for quite a ride --- so hang on!! Lp

F5G WIZ
May-03-2006, 9:19pm
Thanks Scotti, you'll be sure to see and play it.
JLP, will check it out. I'm also getting a James Tail Peice, Waverly tuners. Going to be a golden amber all over with a dark burst on the front only. I want a strong contrast like Driftwood #6 from the front to the sides and back. Going with Black binding and a three peice neck also life DW #6. Back of the Peg head will be Ebony. Black Ebony Knobs on the waverlys. Should look awesome. Andy seems pumped about the color selection. Not quite like anything he has made before.

F5G WIZ
May-03-2006, 9:23pm
OK JLP nice pictures but where is the finished product? Need to update your thread. Unless they are somewhere else.

Lane Pryce
May-04-2006, 12:18pm
Darrin they are in the Mowry A ---Completed pics thread. Bout halfway down this page. Lp

F5G WIZ
May-16-2006, 8:54am
Here are the latest from Andy Poe. Binding is installed and body is pretty much finished. Inlay is in process so it is all coming together.

F5G WIZ
May-16-2006, 8:56am
and the front, the black binding will flow nicely with the sandwiched neck.

F5G WIZ
May-16-2006, 8:57am
Here is a drawing Andy put together for the headstock inlay.

Lane Pryce
May-16-2006, 12:18pm
Darrin that is absoutely spectacular. The wait is a killer aint it!! Calm down it will be here before you know it!! Lp

MML
May-16-2006, 1:06pm
Andy's work is flawless!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

F5G WIZ
May-16-2006, 2:51pm
Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part, but he seems to be right on schedule and everything seems to be coming together at a good pace. Played some new Mando's this weekend over at Dale Ludewigs house and it has really gotten me anxious for the new POE! Can't wait.

F5G WIZ
May-18-2006, 8:08am
JLP, how is your Mowry opening up. You'll have to post a picture of the two of you together.

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 2:03pm
Here are some pictures of the peg head and neck that Andy sent me today.

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 2:06pm
Sandwiched neck

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 2:07pm
Altogether with the fretboard which will have block inlays.

grandmainger
May-19-2006, 2:44pm
Nice! You're a lucky man Darrin, Andy's inlay work just keeps getting better and better http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif
Germain

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 4:21pm
Thanks Germain, yes it does. He is a very talented young man. I love the back of the peghead, how it blends in with the ebony sandwich of the neck.

Dena Haselwander
May-19-2006, 7:49pm
You will be amazed at what it looks like when you (finally!) get your mandolin. I have the Driftwood #21; I thought the pictures were outstanding, and when I opened the case for the first time--breathtaking. Actually the hardest part is waiting for the boxed mandolin to acclimatize itself to your environment. To have it in your house and not be able to touch it for awhile--yikes. Let's just say it builds character! Enjoy your treasure.

Dena

Scotti Adams
May-19-2006, 8:15pm
..I said it before..I will say it again..sexy

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 9:05pm
WWW.driftwoodmandolins.com but I must warn you. Looking can be dangerous. It has been known to cause spontanious MAS. AS with me.

Dmarie, number 21 is a nice peice! But why do you have to let it acclamate to your enviorement. Are you talking coming from the hot outside into the AC?

Scotti, yeah it is. Are you still open tomorrow? If so I'll give you a call. Let me know what time you were thinking about.

Dena Haselwander
May-19-2006, 9:14pm
Exactly. Mine came in in the winter, so it was from a very cold to a warm environment. Sudden temperature changes can cause varnish crackling and checking, and add undue stress to the wood. Mr. Poe gave me very detailed instructions, and I tend to be very, well, retentive about such things.

Dena

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 9:22pm
Yes I have seen what very cold temp. can due to a mando finish. Instant distressing! Mine should come in July or Aug. so the problem shouldn't be as severe. But I will abide by whatever Andy says. Your mando is beautiful. I had to go back and see which one it was. One of the most beautiful A's I have ever seen. I'm really starting to get excited. Haven't felt like this since I was a kid at Christmas!

Dena Haselwander
May-19-2006, 9:32pm
Isn't it great?? The day before mine was scheduled to arrive, I couldn't keep my mind on work, trying to figure out the very first tune I would christen it with--very daunting. When I looked at it, I knew it had to be Vivaldi. Then some Irish. Then Bach. Have fun!

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 9:45pm
Well although I do love the classics, (wish I could play them) I think I will christen POE #5 with a simple little Monroe tune called RAW HYDE. Get it broke in good. hehe. Honestly though even though I am a Bluegrasser I heard Will Kimble play some classical music on his Mandola the other day and I was really impressed. Don't read music but would love to learn to play some of that stuff.

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 9:48pm
I spent the Day with Dale Ludewig last weekend and he has this green two point mando that I fell in love with. Not a bluegrass instrument persay but man what a great sound out of a great looking instrument. It is really the first non F style instument that I was really attracted to. Would be perfect for classical stuff. See inclosed picture:

Dena Haselwander
May-19-2006, 10:10pm
That is a pretty mando (quick hide the credit card)--and looking out the window to the "greener pasture", I wish I could wail away on a great bluegrass tune like Rawhide--maybe over the summer I can lose these goody-two-shoes that always seem to attach themselves to my feet and learn some rowdy, rockin' styles. I'm old enough not to have to be lady-like anymore, gosh darn it!! (well, that's a start..)

Dena

F5G WIZ
May-19-2006, 10:22pm
Pluker: There are many different threads with pictures of Andys previous accomplishments. Type in Driftwood in the message board search and they will pop up. Or just go to Andys web page at WWW.driftwoodmandolins.com and there ae many pictures of most of his mandos with some small comments from owners.

F5G WIZ
May-20-2006, 7:48am
Pluker,

Yeah they are all beautiful and unfortunatly SOLD! So like me you have to wait if you want to buy. But on the other hand you will get exactly what you want. Andy designs and does all his own inlay. He is quite the artist.

F5G WIZ
May-25-2006, 1:46pm
Completed front picture. Lookin good!

F5G WIZ
May-25-2006, 1:47pm
and the back.

b.pat
May-25-2006, 1:59pm
Looking GREAT Darrin.

Just wait till the stain hits that back.

Wooooooooo

Pat

F5G WIZ
May-25-2006, 2:12pm
PAt yeah I know. I can't wait but I have to! Andy is going to string it up in the white to hear its voice. He said he will send me new pictures of it like that. I'm glad I went with the sandwiched neck like #6, I think it looks great blended in with the back of the head and the dark binding. Also having stainless frets installed, a first for Andy but he said they will last much longer.

Scotti Adams
May-25-2006, 3:32pm
..looks real good...

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2006, 8:11pm
Poe#5 in the white! Andy says it plays and sounds wonderful!

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2006, 8:12pm
Sandwiched neck and gold Waverly tuners.

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2006, 8:13pm
The Front.

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2006, 8:14pm
Closeup of Peg head.

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2006, 8:15pm
Closeup Scroll, all for now.

Lane Pryce
Jun-03-2006, 8:33pm
Very impressive work. Darrin I am interested in the stainless frets. How do they compare costwise with the standard nickel fretwire? The Waverlys are superb too. Looks like there were no cut corners on this one ---- you planning on keeping this one for a while eh? I know you will be pleased. Lp

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2006, 8:51pm
The cost of the stainless frets would vary from builder to builder, I go through frets pretty fast so when Andy offered SS frets to me I jumped on it. I think the future costs of refretting will offset the initial cost for the stainless fretts. Andy said it took about 3 times as long to frett it than normal but also said it should virtualy eliminate refretts. We'll see. Yes there were no corners cut, but just to let you know Andy offers the waverly tuners, the james tail peice and the calton case as standard on all his mandos. He is really putting out a quality product. And I can't see ever wanting anything more than this mando. I picked every option from the wood to the color. I'm sure there will be other mandos in the future but this one will be a keeper.

newmando7
Jun-03-2006, 9:02pm
I just love the way that mando looks.What kind of binding was used it really stands out to me?

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2006, 9:22pm
I decided to go with a black binding to match the ebony in the sandwiched neck, makes it all flow together. Yes it does look nice.

grandmainger
Jun-04-2006, 3:00am
Nice shape for the fretboard extension http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
What type of truss rod cover are you going to have?
Germain

Skip Kelley
Jun-04-2006, 6:54am
That mandolin is incredible!! Andy's work is one of the greats!!!

gwalt
Jun-04-2006, 8:31am
If I was ever to have scroll envey, I'd have to admit your mando is really turning out great! I bet you can hardly wait. I wish now I would have ordered two. If Andy keeps this up I might not be able to afford one later.

F5G WIZ
Jun-04-2006, 5:00pm
Germain, good question, I think it will be ebony now that you mentioned it I don't think we ever discussed the truss rod cover.

Skip, yes Andy does wonderful work, and from talking and corresponding with him you can see that he truely has a love for his art.

Gwalt, are you still waiting on #4. I thought you had it already. I agree with you I think Andy is up and coming as a Luthier. The quality workmanship and quality parts he is puting into his mandos is getting noticed I think. Just a matter of time for that young man. If he ever gets ahead enough to take some instruments to the IBMA's or something like that he's going to take off I think.

F5G WIZ
Jun-11-2006, 2:15pm
Here she is with a coat of color. I think the dark front accents the lighter color sides and back quite nicely. Boy the stain really made the grain pop out on the back!

F5G WIZ
Jun-11-2006, 2:16pm
And the front.

grandmainger
Jun-11-2006, 3:53pm
Darrin, that's gorgeous! Man, I cannot believe I passed on the one-piece back http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif
You're a lucky man! Any due date yet?
G.

F5G WIZ
Jun-11-2006, 5:16pm
Andy told me 8 to 10 weeks from the time he starts the finish so I'm thinking late july at best to mid to late august. I love the way the dark and light colors compliment each other. And that peice of quilt is awesome. I'll post more as they come in.

MML
Jun-11-2006, 6:17pm
That back is awwwwwweeeeeeesome!!! As a matter of fact the whole thing is awesome! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

F5G WIZ
Jun-11-2006, 8:38pm
MML: Yes, Andy does amazing work. Thanks:D

Phil Jolly
Jun-11-2006, 9:03pm
wow, that is gorgeous

b.pat
Jun-12-2006, 3:31pm
My, My,

Two brothers side by side !!

Can this guy do Quilt, or what.

F5G WIZ
Jun-12-2006, 7:21pm
Yes, one is a little older than the other but they could be twins for sure!

levin4now
Jun-14-2006, 9:30am
It was awesome before the finish. Now it's unbelieveable!

JEStanek
Jun-14-2006, 10:12am
Darrin, That is a stellar looking mando. I particularly like the dark top with lighter sides/back. Excellent use of light and dark everywhere (split neck, tuner buttons, binding...) Total package!
Enjoy.
Jamie

F5G WIZ
Jun-14-2006, 3:43pm
Yeah I've never seen one quite like that before. Andy's Driftwood #6 is similar with the dark stained front and the blonde sides. I realy liked the look of contrast but didn't want a totally dark front or a totaly blonde back and sides so we decided on the the golden brown back, sides and neck and the dark sunburst front. Also have always liked the look of a sandwiched neck and it blends perfectly with the eboney peg head and the black binding. The black binding is like a picture frame for the back and the sides. Thanks for the compliments Andy's really outdoing himself on this one I think.

Darrin

Yonkle
Jun-27-2006, 1:41am
WHere can I buy a piece of Quilt like that???
Please let me know. Bruce has some but not that radical. JD

F5G WIZ
Jun-27-2006, 2:58am
I'm not sure where Andy got it. I know it was a peice he had left over from a previous mando he had built