PDA

View Full Version : Dylan B-Day Party Music

plunkett5
Apr-20-2006, 10:22pm
I'm hosting a party to celebrate Bob's 65th Birthday. I play mandolin and guitar and will have about 6-10 musicians in for a party jam on his greatest songs. I'm open to suggestions. So far I've got Blind Willie McTell, Corinna Corinna, Odds and Ends, Sooner or Later. What works on mando for you?

ira
Apr-20-2006, 10:41pm
don't think twice....
all along the watchtower
never say goodbye
northcountry girl
times they are a-changin

mustache
Apr-20-2006, 10:58pm
The Country Gentlemen's groundbreaking version of Baby Blue makes that a must-play in my mind...

James P
Apr-20-2006, 11:59pm
Lay Down Your Weary Tune
It Takes a Lot to Laugh...
Idiot Wind (I can never remember the words!)
I'll be your Baby Tonight
Wheels on Fire!!!
Wallflower.
Quinn the Eskimo at every jam, that's just a rule.

That chorus in "When I Paint..." about following a pack of wild geese, I love playing that!

May 24th (http://www.ehow.com/how_13461_celebrate-bob-dylans.html)

James P
Apr-21-2006, 12:30am
"People disagreeing on all just about everything, yeah.
Makes you stop and all wonder why.
Why only yesterday I saw somebody on the street
who just couldn't help but cry.

Oh, this ol' river keeps on rollin', tho'.
No matter what gets in the way and which way the wind does blow.
So as long as it does I'll just sit here
And watch the river flow."

mythicfish
Apr-21-2006, 5:44am
I'll take no credit for the originality of this activity:
Offer a door prize to the most entertaining Dylan "sound-alike"
1st Prize - A week in Minnesota
2nd Prize - 2 weeks in Minnesota

Curt

Jason Kessler
Apr-21-2006, 8:15am
Knockin' On Heaven's Door

R. Kane
Apr-21-2006, 8:44am
Chimes of Freedom
The Lily of the West

gr_store_feet
Apr-21-2006, 8:51am
wow, lots of good suggestions. I play All Along the Watchtower. But, I am partial to Basement Tapes tunes. I play You Ain't Going Nowhere, Lo and Behold, and Ain't No More Cane.

mikeomando
Apr-21-2006, 1:08pm
"Not dark yet"

Wadefox
Apr-21-2006, 1:13pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Forever Young." Seems like a natural for a birthday party (but maybe not for mando).

kvk
Apr-21-2006, 6:59pm
If you want something that works bluegrass style, "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts", assuming you can get thru 15 verses.

By they way, pretty much all the web sites that had lyrics/chords/tab to Dylan songs got hate mail from the publishing co. and had to take the stuff down. I do know that one of them has a mirror site somewhere and on that mirror site is the entire zip file of the whole site with all the songs which you can download. Finding it is left up to an exercise for the reader.

Hoyt
Apr-21-2006, 8:46pm
Blowin In the Wind -- that's my favorite.

The best time I've had playing was at a Dylan 60th Birthday celebration. #Some guy rented a whole bar and we were the only ones that showed up to play. #Ain't saying it was pretty, but we had a blast.

Good luck.

neal
Apr-22-2006, 7:44pm
Here (http://dylanchords.nfshost.com/) is every Dylan song available, chords, lyrics. You choose.

luckylarue
Apr-24-2006, 6:20am
Have everyone come dressed as a character from his songs - you know, Einstein disguised as Robin Hood bumming a cigarette, etc.

David M.
Apr-24-2006, 3:20pm
"You Ain't Goin Nowhere" - already suggested - done by NGDB on Circle III.
"Simple Twist of Fate"
"Wallflower" - Buddy Miller does a good cover of this one
"Shelter from the Storm" - my personal favorite
"Tangled up in Blue"

So may Dylan songs, such bad memory for words...

Perry
Apr-25-2006, 11:44am
my band at various times does the following Dylan:

Senor*
Buckets Of Rain
Maggie's Farm
Tombstone Blues*

They all work well on the mando

* see RED ON BLONDE

Christian McKee
Apr-27-2006, 4:37pm
Basement tapes tunes? I've always really liked singing Ferdinand the Imposter. One of those odd ones.

Christian

Wesley
May-01-2006, 12:42pm
"When the Ship Comes In" - it's a great tempo for a bluegrass band. "Maggies Farm" too.

plunkett5
May-02-2006, 9:15pm
Stop! Every time I look here I find another song I can't believe I forgot about. I have about 50 songs printed out that I'm looking over and hoping to get to play, and I know other folks will have others. Dylan has an amazing catalogue! "Hollis Brown" on octave is pretty cool with the drones. Basement Tapes songs are top of the list, too. Thanks for the great ideas. I think this party will last longer than the Wedding at Canaan if we get to half of what I'm thinking of so far.

Steve E.
May-12-2006, 12:50pm
'Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues'
'When the ship comes in' - Clancy Bros version
Anything from 'Blood on the Tracks'

Steve

ira
May-12-2006, 3:01pm
hey plunkett where is your party? massachusetts by any chance?

Daniel Nestlerode
May-12-2006, 9:59pm
I would think "Masters of War" would apprporiately topical for a very sophisticated protest song writer. I also like 'The Times They Are A-Changin'," I'll second "Tangled Up in Blue," offer "You Ain't Goin' No Where" in the spirit of "Quinn the Eskimo," and finally just to be cheeky I offer "Rainy Day Women #12 & #35." http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Daniel

plunkett5
May-15-2006, 9:56pm
Ira- I'm in New Jersey near Philadelphia. If anyone on this list is in that area let me know and I'll send you details. I've having a ball working thru some Dylan songs on mando and guitar.

steve in tampa
May-16-2006, 4:33am
Memphis Blues and anything from the "Slow Train Coming' album

If you want to recreate a live show like the one I just saw, become very distant and detached, stare off in the distance, and mumble in a monotone. Don't forget the Easter hat.

Wadefox
May-16-2006, 9:45am
You're going to have to post the final set list here after it is over. Let us know how it went.

One other song: "Million Dollar Bash."

James P
May-24-2006, 5:39pm
So, umm...
Happy Birthday Bob!!!

ira
May-24-2006, 7:46pm
true- today is the day!

plunkett5
May-26-2006, 11:39pm
Our Dylan Party is next Saturday. I am having a ball working out mando parts for some of the better known Dylan songs that I hope folks will sing. I just got Blood on the Tracks. What a great album! I have played the Big Three from it, but the other tunes are great too. So much Dylan, so little time!

plunkett5
Jun-07-2006, 12:58pm
The party was great. About 20 people with 6 good guitarists, 1 keyboard, 1 fiddle, 2 basses (one too many)and a few doubles on harmonica and myself on mandolin and guitar. Lots of raucous harmony and non-stop songs from 7- midnight. Here is the songs we did as best I can recall.

All along the watchtower Don't Think Twice
BLOWIN’ IN THE WIND, IT AIN'T ME BABE IT'S ALL OVER NOW, BABY BLUE, Just like a woman, KNOCKIN’ ON HEAVEN’S DOOR, LAY, LADY LAY, LIKE A ROLLIN’ STONE, LOVE MINUS ZERO/NO LIMIT, MAGGIE’S FARM, RAINY DAY WOMEN, SIMPLE TWIST OF FATE, TANGLED UP IN BLUE, THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN’ TONIGHT I’LL BE STAYING HERE WITH YOU, CORRINA, CORRINA, YOU’RE A BIG GIRL NOW, DESOLATION ROW MASTERS OF WAR,YOU GONNA MAKE ME MISS YOU WHEN YOU GO, POSITIVELY 4TH STREET