PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory?

Nexus
Apr-20-2006, 9:40pm
Anyone know anything about this mandos i saw them for 249 dollers in a f Style with solid woods seems like a great deal.Im wondering if anyone has any info on this or have one or played one please drop some info on this brand and F style Mando...thanks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Hal Loflin
Apr-21-2006, 8:43pm
Nexus...An Old Hickory was my first mandolin...F style. It was a good mandolin to learn on. Had a decent sound and played easy for beginning. I believe mine was not solid wood though. I believe it was lamenated spruce instead of solid wood. You might want to check on this on the one you are looking at. I paid $199 plus tax for mine.

The only other thing I would add is that after a couple of months I wanted to move up in quality. I bought the Old Hickory to see if I would like it. My next move was to a Michael Kelly and then to a Weber Yellowstone.

If you are just starrting and want to watch your money it will be ok.

Good luck...Hal

Brad Weiss
Apr-21-2006, 9:55pm
I think you can do a lot better for $250 - only my opinion! #A Kentucky 250S has a radiused fretboard, and it plays really easily- a key criterion at this price. #Lots of decent used stuff. Just never liked ANY Old Hickory I've played...

Nexus
Apr-21-2006, 11:41pm
thanks for all the info and help about this...Hey Brad is there a real diff with the sound quality between a kentuckey 250s and 380's or is it just looks ?

Brad Weiss
Apr-22-2006, 7:05am
Never played a 380- what I've liked about the #250S is the radius, which enhances playability. #At this price, go for something easy to play- it's REALLY hard to find something that sounds great, and one mando is very different from the next regardless of make or model.

Good luck!!

cooper4205
May-01-2006, 3:46pm
i have a 380s and love it, i don't think you can fins a better a-syle for $300. it has a more figured woods, and the fretboard is extended and has the vintage dovetail neck (i guess thats what you call that little bump under the fretboard and between the soundboard like on the f-style gibsons, it was made to look like an a-5 copy (closest i could find in price range)