PDA

View Full Version : New Humidity Sensor

dwllal
Apr-20-2006, 7:44pm
I just received a new Planet Waves Humidity & Temperature Sensor today. What is the best humidity range to store my mandolin at? I have a 1988 F-5L Gibson and live in Florida. I run the A/C most of the time at 76 and the new sensor shows the humidity at 37% in the mando case. Any info will be helpful.

Thanks... Darren http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Lane Pryce
Apr-20-2006, 7:47pm
Seems like the ideal humidity is around 45%. There has been plenty of discussion on the subject. Search humidity and you'll find the asnwer. Lp

JEStanek
Apr-20-2006, 8:13pm
I used to love spring... Now.......:angry: All winter I keep the humidifiers running and the house at around 40-45%. Today we opened up the house for some nice fresh spring air and bam 22%.... Needless to say all the mandos are in their cases until things settle down. More importantly than what number to have your rh at is to not let it swing real wildly. But 40-45 is good. I would imagine a quick drop isn't great.

Jamie

Jamie

Bob A
Apr-20-2006, 9:49pm
Case gauges are notoriously inaccurate. In fact, I recall going into one of those shops that sells telescopes, RH meters, and other such stuff, and looking at about a dozen humidity gauges of different makes and price levels. No two had the same reading; the extremes differed by about 25%.

Anyway, I try to keep things between 40-50%; if it gets down to 35% on a nasty winter day I try not to panic. Over 50 I make sure the A/C is running.

As the man says, gradual changes are not so dangerous as abrupt swings. This goes for temp as well.

mandroid
Apr-21-2006, 2:54am
how did all those Stradovarius survive without AC ?

sunburst
Apr-21-2006, 9:20am
Repairs, good care, and luck.

40% to 50% is good, a little out of that range is OK.

Fast changes in temperature can harm the finish, but quick changes in humidity are really no worse than any exposure to extreme humidity, low or high. It takes a while for the wood to gain or release moisture, so it moderates it's own moisture content for short periods of time.
In other words, if you have to take it out of the case in 100% relative humidity to play, you probably won't be able to stay in tune very well because the mandolin is taking on moisture, and the wood is moving in responce, but you have to leave it in that environment for a while for it to take on all the moisture that it wants at 100% rh. Same goes for really dry conditions.

Over time, if the mandolin is allowed to come to equilibrium with summer humidity and winter dryness, year after year, wood can start to crack, and glue joints can start to fail. For some instruments, one dry winter is all it takes for problems to show up.

glauber
Apr-21-2006, 9:33am
Repairs, good care, and luck.
And lack of central heating systems.