PDA

View Full Version : “Phantom of the Opry”

Nexus
Apr-18-2006, 7:36pm
I was just wondering what peoples reviews are on this F model mando? and is it better sounding then say a 380s kentuckey A style for? I know that when in the mid range of 200 dollers to 650 dollers for MAndos alot say go with the A style but im thinkin the MMS-4 may put to shame most A-style models at the 200 to 350 doller price range ,Plus im not talkin about celtic style mandos like Mid mous just the f holes models, whats your thoughts? thanks .....

Adam Tracksler
Apr-18-2006, 8:45pm
I used to have a rover rm-75, it was great, it ran @ 400. It was nicer than a lot of the Michael Kellys that I tried out at the time

Nexus
Apr-18-2006, 9:16pm
WOW that Rover looks nice but do you think it has a better sound in tone and all then the Morgan Monroe MMS-4?Also when you got your Rover did ya have to make adjustmnets to make it a playable and good? Well im looking forward to hear more about this Rover model from you as you owned one at one time cheers...

olgraypat
Apr-19-2006, 11:04am
I had one. It appeared to have been hand carved with a dull pocket knife. I traded it for an acoustic bass.

Kevin Briggs
Apr-19-2006, 11:27am
The Morgan Monroe's are a little nicer than the Kentucky's, I think. They are generally a little more consistent. I played a MMS-2 for a year or so before getting a Breedlove.

I now own a Kentucly 340S and it's not nearly as nice as my Morgan Monroe was. That being said, the Rover's I've played beat them all. I think it varies from Pac-rim to Pac-rim. In geneal, you won't get much out of most Pac-rim's, although there are exceptions.

bluemtgrass
Apr-19-2006, 11:56am
I've got the MM4 and think it is just a great sounding
mandolin. The carving on mine is as good as most anything
I've seen including ones several times the price. In short
definately thumbs up.
There is a question that I would throw out if anyone
knows. The older MM4's were carved from sycamore which
gave the mandolin punch yet sounding a bit mellow and
high priced. The ones advertised today state they are made
from maple. Since sycamore is from the maple family, are
they the same or different ? If different, I wouldnt expect
them to sound as expensive as the older ones ( IMHO )
Cant comment on Rovers, never played one. I did play the
Michael Kellys and wasnt that impressed. When a company
doesnt think enough of their product to guarentee it for
life ( M. Monroes are, Michael Kellys and a lot of others arent ) well it just doesnt give me a whole lot of confidence to pony up the money.
That said and $ 3.00 will get you a gallon of gas ( for
now )

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Greg H.
Apr-19-2006, 12:11pm
In my experience I've yet to play an MK that I thought very highly of (I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one). I've played a couple of the Rover RM-75s and I thought they were pretty good for the money. Certainly better than the MKs (and I was in a position to A/B the two). That said, if your range is actually $200-$650 I'd be pushing the high end of the budget and looking at the low end Eastmans as they seem better than most of the other Pac Rim choices.

Of course, we're speaking in generalities here and the best way to choose a mandolin is to go somewhere where you can play them and choose the one you like best.

Nexus
Apr-19-2006, 2:17pm
thanks alot for all your comments..I think The MMS-4 is grabbing my attention instead of the Rover 75 one and the others models..I think Eastmans are fine but I do like the F shape and eastmens are a little more expensive compared to other decent F styles..Plus the Phantom seems liek a nice all aorund sounding Mando and is also a F style so its value goes up just from that fact....Also The Term PAcRim is this refer to many F styles that arepoorlsy Carved becasue of there 400 to 650 doller price ?

Well Thank you all this is helping me for sure Cheers

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Kevin Briggs
Apr-19-2006, 3:16pm
Chris,

Pac-rim is a term used to desribe mandos made on the pacific rim...essentially the far east.

Good luck on your search for a nice, lower-end mando!