PDA

View Full Version : Etudes/Studies

Jeff Hoelter
Apr-07-2004, 12:11pm
Hello,

#I was recently made aware in another thread of some mandolin studies by Munier that were good for warming up, sight reading practice, technique workouts, and playing in positions up the neck. #Here's the info:

MUNIER-Studies (LO SCIOGLIDITA)

Vol. I (e) Simple scale technic
Vol. 11 (m) Scale technic in Different positions
Vol. III (vd) Etudes in all sharp keys
Vol. IV CADENZES & EXERCISES

#I hear that it's out of print however. #Plucked String seems to have a bunch of different mandolin methods and studies:

#Can anyone recommend one of these for the purposes I mentioned above? #Or is there a source for the Munier studies or some other that comes highly rcommended?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jim Garber
Apr-07-2004, 12:20pm
I like the Goichberg etudes:

Author: Goichberg, Sol
Item: 35 Progressive Mandolin Etudes, op. 6 (Solo)
Item Number: PSE 010
Price: $10.00

There are some nice melodies. Great for sight reading, positions, playing up the neck in different keys.

Also be aware that Plucked String often has to order some of these and they could take months. I would check to see what they have. I have the Ranieri method V. 1 and a photo copy of the Munier Method (out of print) that I got from Carlo Aonzo.

BTW if you can find copies of the Bickford method (all volumes but #1 out-of-print) or the Pettine those are also excellent.

Jim

Plamen Ivanov
Apr-08-2004, 5:38am
And I`m still looking for more information about the author of the etudes, that I grew up with - R. Gautiero...

Jim Garber
Apr-15-2004, 8:43am
I have been playing thru some of the etudes and exercises in Branzoli. There are some good ones there and would strengthen the fingers and get them moving. Some pretty intense doublestop etudes as well.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Apr-15-2004, 11:01am
Jim, you mean... *gasp*... you HAVE Branzoli?!?!?

Hmm... perhaps you should not advertise possessing such possessions; low-life Manhattanites (no names mentioned) might actually come up and burglarize your home! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jim Garber
Apr-15-2004, 11:51am
Victor:

You are joking?? I actually have two Branzolis and am selling one in the classified.

Jim

Eugene
Apr-15-2004, 12:07pm
There are so many editions of Branzoli...and so few of these editions jive with one another. #I am sorely displeased with the only edition I own.

On Pettine's in seven volumes, last I had heard, Norman at Plucked String, Inc. still had a couple sets on hand. #Move fast if you want those.

PS: I'm mighty keen on Aubrey Stauffer's 30 Progressive Studies too.

vkioulaphides
Apr-15-2004, 12:17pm
Hmm... I am more puzzled now than before.

First of all: No, Jim, I was not joking; I simply was unaware of your listing in the classifieds.

But, as per Eugene's post, this edition does not ring a bell, visually at least. Nevertheless, I am sure it will sell quickly and for good reason.

Branzoli was sort of Everyman's Mandolin Method in Europe for quite a while— I mean, of course, the broader, amateur populace, not the people who could tackle Calace or Ranieri.

What I, for one, would love to "repossess" is a copy of the old edition (beats me what I would call it to differentiate it from the other ones), the one I saw time and again at various relatives' homes, cozily tucked next to the "family mandolin". You know what I mean...

Jim Garber
Apr-15-2004, 12:39pm
Both of the ones I had were published late 19th, early 20th by John Church Company. They say they were located in Cincinnati, New York, Chicago, Leipsic and London.

BTW I am keeping the hardcover edition and de-accessing the softcover. The image I show on the ad is the title page of the softcover. Essentially the same content in either edition, tho.

Jim