PDA

View Full Version : Are ther any knowledgeable persons?

grafik-obsessions
Apr-07-2004, 6:27am
I am a novice mando player and want to upgrade my (Dean) Playmate Tennessee AE to one of the two models mentioned can you guys help a poor broke ,(but desirous of better quality) ex-navy man on which you prefer. Right now I'm leaning toward the Rigel clone from Goldtone just because I find rigel's style of construction more appealing but the sounds i heard from fotw led me to question this decision... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

John Flynn
Apr-07-2004, 7:41am
Ex-Navy and a Rigel fan here also. I have played the GoldTone and thought it was great for the money in all respects. I have heard two different MKs up close and I know that they have a lot of fans here on the board. I think they are both good choices, so it sounds like it really comes down to styling for you. If you are leaning toward the GT for style reasons, keep leaning!

grafik-obsessions
Apr-07-2004, 8:16am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Thanks for the quick holler johnny. think I have any more offers of assistance out there?

John Zimm
Apr-07-2004, 8:34am
I have an MK Firefly Flame, and I love it. The tone is very sweet. It doesn't have the same deep base that the Gibson and other higher end models have, but for the money it sounds like a mandolin costing several times what I paid for it. The treble is really sweet and rings beautifully. I also love the look of my MK.

One caveat: it is good to play many MKs if you are thinking of buying one. The quality can really vary. I would never buy one, or any mandolin, from ebay or any other website since I'd have no way of playing it first.

If you like the looks of the Goldtone, and you find one with the sound you like, I'd go for it. Like it or not, cosmetics do matter when you get an instrument. Whatever you get, I hope you find something good that serves you well for a long time. Best of luck.

-John.

Apr-07-2004, 9:22am
"I would never buy one, or any mandolin, from ebay or any other website since I'd have no way of playing it first."

Why do some of you folks keep ragging on this. It's done everyday by hundreds of people who are very satisfied with the experience. That's what the 48 hr approval is for (in general online buying, not Ebay). Refusing to buy before "touching & playing" an instrument is a personal call. Dealers do it everyday, I don't get to go to the factory & hand select mandos...........Limit yourself to only what you can lay your hands on if you wish, but personally I'd prefer a broader selection.

Apr-07-2004, 9:28am
Oh, back to the original topic. For what your gonna pay for an MK or the above mentioned "Clone"......there are viable American made mandos available.......The Breedlove Quartz OF being one of them. If the Rigel appeals to you, I suggest you go for the real thing if your after a "real" upgrade rather than just changing colors......

John Zimm
Apr-07-2004, 9:29am
Dale,

As you said, deciding not to buy a mandolin sight-unseen "is a personal call," and I happened to state my preference. Would you rather we not say anything about this so you can have a fair and balanced discussion without a dissenting voice? As I said, the quality of any brand of instrument seems to vary quite a bit, not to mention a player's personal preference for the sound of the instrument s/he is looking for. It is hardly unreasonable to want to play an instrument before buying it.

-John.

Apr-07-2004, 9:36am
"It is hardly unreasonable to want to play an instrument before buying it."

With a 48hr approval.....your doing exactly that. So is the qualifier you'd never buy on Ebay, online with an approval.....or you'd never buy using either method?

jom
Apr-07-2004, 9:53am
That was a point of annoyance for me when recently purchasing a mandolin. Everybody was so adamant about saying, "be patient and make sure you play whatever you buy." I felt like that severely limited my options, considering all of the eye candy there is online. While I still haven't made my mind up on the subject, its nice to hear *someone* support the "buy unseen" method, even if he is a dealer.

What dissuaded me from the 48 hour approval option is the fact that I am cheap, and most places will not pay for return shipping/insurance.

John Zimm
Apr-07-2004, 9:57am
With a 48hr approval.....your doing exactly that. So is the qualifier you'd never buy on Ebay, online with an approval.....or you'd never buy using either method?

I'd probably not buy with either. For one thing, I don't want to get hit with the extra shipping costs. For some of us $30 is a lot of money. Moreover, 48 hours is nice, but I would rather play an instrument several times over several days. Call me picky. If some people want to buy an instrument online, more power to them. It is just my personal preference not to do that.

This is the last I'll say on the subject because I don't want to fight with you. I'm probably not going to change your mind and I know you won't change mine.

-John.

Coy Wylie
Apr-07-2004, 10:07am
This going off topic but I guess I will ride along. Concerning the 48-hour approval period: A while back I bit on a handmade mando from the classifieds. I called the owner, discussed it with him, sent him a check and received the instrument with a 48-hour approval period. I was not pleased with what I received. Though the builder has recently been complimented on his recent work here on the cafe, this was one of his earlier efforts and it was rough. It didn't like the fit and finish and it didn't "speak" to me tone-wise. Though I agonized over it, I sent it back the next day and emailed the seller. I apologized for wasting his time and paid a total of about $50 for shipping both ways. He was very gracious. Even though I blew $50, it wasn't a total loss. I learned some lessons and didn't get stuck with a mando I would never love.

So the morale of the story is: if you are too cheap to spring for shipping, don't ever buy on line. If you are willing to roll the dice for $50 to see if a mando is right for you, do it. $50 is pretty cheap insurance when considering a high-end purchase like a top-quality mando.

Apr-07-2004, 10:26am
Well, lets take this scenerio one step further since shipping costs seem to be an issue. When a Dealer sends a mando out on approval he is taking a several risks.

First & foremost is shipping damage, doesn't happen that often but can be a several month ordeal with the shipping company to get settled. Meanwhile the Dealer refunds the customers funds & ties up his own waiting for the insurance to pay.

The mando is gone......no chance of another sale for at least two weeks. The dealer has removed it from "inventory" & sent it out on approval. It's not a done deal until the buyer accepts it.

The shipping charges are often offset but the lack of sales tax on out of state "internet" sales........ For example, a $1000 mando = $82 in sales tax here. I charge $20 for shipping & ins for a $1000 mando.....So if your to "tight" to gamble with the shipping charges...go ahead & pay sales tax!
Of course sales tax can be refunded, shipping charges are not.

But let me add this. Support your local dealer if you have one. His service after the sale can be priceless. If you don't have a local dealer, or they don't carry what your interested in. Then don't be afraid of buying online. Online dealers have our names & reputation out here on line & "on the line" everyday. If we don't do a good job, believe me.......you will here about it!

Well put Willard!
There, I'm off my soapbox....carry on.

BenE
Apr-07-2004, 10:41am
Moreover, 48 hours is nice, but I would rather play an instrument several times over several days.
Ideally yes....but it sure would be a shame to go into the store for the third or fourth time to play the mandolin only to discover someone has bought it before you....Not to mention the shop wear that they get being played by every tire kicker in the city. I live in an area where you would be hard pressed to find a mandolin outside of the low-end Fenders. I had several shipped to me to try out during my search. I found one that I was very happy with and still have it to this day. The one thing that a 48 approval period did for me was allow me to play the mandolin with the rest of the guys in the band. It is amazing how different a mandolin will sound in a band context. This would not have been possible if I went out of state on a roadtrip searching for the perfect mandolin. It would be great if there was a McMandolin dealer on every corner of every town but it just ain't so. For some folks like me you just have to put some faith in your dealer to be up front and honest. It worked for me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

John Flynn
Apr-07-2004, 11:02am
This is strictly MHO. Buying is a purely personal choice. I have been a die-hard "play it before you buy it - support your local dealer" guy for years, but I am starting to change. What I am seeing is that the things I used to like about local dealers, such as service after the sale and personal relationship, are starting to go by the wayside as dealers try to compete head-to-head with the big box music "centers" and the internet. How well can you "try before you buy" when some teenager is wailing away on an electric guitar in the next room and none of the mandos are in tune because the store has cut back on staff? I feel many local dealers are losing sight of thier advantages in the marketplace, trying in vain to be like the big guys.

I am making my first sight-unseen purchase, on approval, this week from a Cafe' member. It looks like I will get a great deal on a great mando. I will do my "play before I buy" in the comfort of my home. I will only be out shipping costs if I don't like it, but I am not paying sales taxes or gas to drive to the store and it will save me time, which is in short supply for me right now. If this works out, I think that will be my preferred method of doing business in the future.

BenE
Apr-07-2004, 11:22am
jflynnstl---If you don't mind my asking what are you trying out? #Just curious since I know you really like your Rigel. #Hopefully it will be an addition and you wont have to sell the Rigel....I wish I had my old Rigel (I think Stanley is treating her good!) as well as the BRW. #Dang it...read my signature #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

John Flynn
Apr-07-2004, 12:35pm
Ben:

Thanks for asking. No, I am keeping the Rigel and I still really do love it. Also, it was a gift from my wife, so the "until death do us part" rule now extends to the mando also, LOL! In fact, I had to re-assure the missus that I was not "getting tired of the Rigel" when I went to buy this. It was like the Rigel might get jealous!

I am replacing my Medieros travel mando with a used Parsons flat-top, sort of a Mid-Missouri equivalent. I live in St. Louis, but work in New Jersey every week. I will keep the Parsons in NJ. The travel mando was fine when I was just using it for practice in the hotel room, but I am starting to play with some other folks from time to time and now I need a "real" mando of some kind in NJ.

doanepoole
Apr-07-2004, 12:43pm
Good choice for a flattop, and thanks for contributing to my state's economy!

grafik-obsessions
Apr-07-2004, 1:19pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Gosh take a nap and the whole string discussion goes totally away from my main question. Just to refresh the forum's mind I wanted to know who had played the mk firefly custom E and the goldtone GM110 and what their personal opinion was toward one versus the other not to question e-bay buying practices...I probably will go to Nashville to actually play before buying Heck i don't even own a credit card so e-bay is just a bother to me i look in person and play before pay for your information , remember just reviews on the moando pleeze!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

Coy Wylie
Apr-07-2004, 1:36pm
IMHO MK's are nice F-style mandos if you are going pac-rim. I hear good things about GT but I've never played one. I would assume they are comparable. You might give Mickey Cochran a call at Folk of the Wood (http://www.folkofthewood.com) and visit with him about the GT. He would probably give you a fair opinion since he sells both. It's apples and oranges in this range. What do you like better?

Oh yeah, look here (http://www.folkofthewood.com/page3874.htm)for some customer reviews.

grafik-obsessions
Apr-07-2004, 1:41pm
The FOTW website is where i heard them both and the kelly seems to be throatier or the goldtone just wasn't mic'd or played thru the same amp. i don't think I mentioned I wanted to stay around 600-750 total with case for this purchase thanks:D

PCypert
Apr-07-2004, 1:44pm
If you're looking for quality on a budget you might consider something all together different. Maybe a mid mo or something. That way your paying for the woods and solid construction and sound. Not import fees, etc. And another thing, don't worry about buying online. Well, do worry some, but trust some of the proven people on the boards. I've dealt with Ken C and Dale on a couple occasions and they are great guys. They'd have a lot to risk by misrepresenting something. For instance I was bit by scroll feve when Dale put that F style up on ebay. I emailed him in a moment of weakness asking me if he's trade it for my Rigel A+. He emailed back and said "trust me you don't want it." He could have taken my Rigel and made some cash on it, but din't. Good guy with good mandos. Same for Ken C and a lot of other places. Seriously consider some of the flat tops. Not completely the same sound, but you're not going to wow anyone with your authentic bluegrass sound with some of those other mandos and at least you won't have to pay for a set up after the fact.
Paul

John S
Apr-07-2004, 4:18pm
"I would never buy one, or any mandolin, from ebay or any other website since I'd have no way of playing it first."

Why do some of you folks keep ragging on this. It's done everyday by hundreds of people who are very satisfied with the experience. That's what the 48 hr approval is for (in general online buying, not Ebay). Refusing to buy before "touching & playing" an instrument is a personal call. Dealers do it everyday, I don't get to go to the factory & hand select mandos...........Limit yourself to only what you can lay your hands on if you wish, but personally I'd prefer a broader selection.
I think I've bought every one of my mandolins without playing them first! A couple were custom jobs that the builders worked with me on, so I knew what I was getting. The other was bought on 48-hr approval, so no risk there either. Admittedly it can be kind of a hassle to have to buy a mandolin in order to try it out (not to mention that you might have to pay shipping at least one way even if you return it), but sometimes there's no other way of being able to play a mandolin you're thinking of without going for a long, long drive.

grafik-obsessions
Apr-08-2004, 1:30am
thanks for the thread, still want more options maybe i should say forget the two I had initially decided on and let you guys rip the gammut with your suggestions for an instrument at a 600-750 price range and why you'd suggest it (have you owned one) , have the premier companys any real sleeper bargains i may have missed of just a starving luthier that happens to build one in this price range?

Apr-08-2004, 9:15am
You know, after some reflection on the title of this thread. Looking at your signature tag line & rereading some of your posts.....

"I probably will go to Nashville to actually play before buying Heck i don't even own a credit card so e-bay is just a bother to me i look in person and play before pay for your information , remember just reviews on the moando pleeze"

I'm done with this thread........................

And one more thing ............Naaa........nevermind!

PCypert
Apr-08-2004, 10:38am
Hey,
There's a handmade F style from Morris I believe on ebay for 750. Don't know about it but you said starving luthiers. I've had a mid mo and you can't go wrong. Could come in under your budget if you bought used or right at it new.
Paul

magnumgray
Apr-10-2004, 8:14am
make sure your looking at a howard morris ... mine came last week from oregon and it is one sweet mando... it will play a $2600 f9 under the table .... at less than a thousand ..... read the the mail in the message section to hear about the Japanese morris' they have some real problems