PDA

View Full Version : going wireless?

jim_n_virginia
Apr-07-2004, 4:53am
I saw Chris Thile last week and he used a wireless pickup. It was pretty cool. There was a small pack attached to his strap in the back about where his shoulderblade is and looked like a small mic attached just behind the bridge.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit or anything similar? Know any good websites concerning wireless units?

Also I am interested in wireless headset mics. Anybody use these? And why are some UHF and some VHS. Sounds like television frequencies to me.

thanks in adavance for any ideas, help and comments.

Tbone
Apr-07-2004, 1:43pm
I don't know, but I'm dying to find out. I've been trying to figure out how to go wireless with a schertler for some time. Anybody have a contact with Chris?

mandoman88
Apr-10-2004, 11:38am
Well I would think that you could simply get a wireless guitar system and use it for mando such as this page (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040410093420065004168206755387/g=live/s=mics/search/c=4633).
I haven't actually tried it so I don't know for sure whether it would, but I don't see any reason why not.
~james

mandoJeremy
Apr-10-2004, 2:05pm
First of all, you are going to have to cut the xlr end off of the Schertler and terminate to some type of 1/4" jack. Then you can use a wireless system but I would recommend the Sennheiser because it is a digital unit instead of the normal UHF or VHF and has ten different selectable frequencies. It will give you a clearer sound and is much less prone to interference than a UHF or VHF unit. I sell the Sennheiser unit for $475.00 and the list on it is $835.00 so it is not cheap. I sell the AKG, which is UHF, for $275.00. The AKG does work well but if money is no object I would definitely go with the Sennheiser unit. Also, AKG and Sennheiser both make very nice headset mics. About the same price as the prices I quoted you above on the wireless instrument units.

Ted Eschliman
Apr-10-2004, 4:01pm
I've experimented with the above mentioned AKG WMS-GB-40 Guitar Bug Wireless System on a Rigel and an Ovation Mando. It was very positive. In some environments it might be a bit noisy, but I didn't find it annoyingly so.
I've not tried it on a Schertler, but these little buggers are tiny, probably less weight than a guitar cable, and fit right in to a 1/4" jack.
I would recommend getting the charger along with it--they use up lots of AAA batteries.

Jan Ellefsen
Apr-13-2004, 8:01am
I have used a AKG 411 C mic for the last two years and like it very much (small condenser, glued on much like the Schertler). With it I bought a AKG pre-amp with the needed phantom power. Last summer I got a good offer for a AKG wireless system that and kept the old pre-amp as a backup. I haven't had anything to complain about so far and I am very pleased with both the sound and the system. It's worth checking out. For input both the old pre-amp and the new sender use a small xlr-type (also at the end of the mic cord), but it is also possible to get an extension with a normal jack at the other end.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandroid
Apr-25-2004, 2:32am
plug in mic wireless oughta work fine with Schertler, its a mic after all!
zip tie around the extra wire and put it in your pocket.
in memorium:
[AlA john hartford of the dancing banjo/fiddler fame]

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

coydog
Apr-25-2004, 12:06pm
I've used a Schertler with a wireless set up. I got a Shure wireless instrument bodypack and receiver. The input on the bodypack is a 4-pin mini-connector (TA4F) and the unit came with a cable going from this mini connector to a 1/4" male. Bought a Shure mini-XLR to female XLR (http://www.shure.com/accessories/wa310.asp?T=WIRELESS&PN=Wireless%20Cables) from Shure (don't even ask at the local music store) and was in business.

Now all that being said, I had very poor results with range in live situations but I realize there are factors I need to look into as far as frequencies and interference sources, etc. Of course, within two weeks of buying the Schertler and wireless set up, the band decided to go back to mics...

David

Bandersnatch Reverb
Apr-25-2004, 7:04pm
Not to start a war here, but the Sennheiser is a UHF system with digital encoding. Its subject to the same interferance as any other wireless device is. The thing with digital interference is that when it drops - it drops in a huge big way with no warning. What this means is on an analog FM system, you might notice that you get some hiss or whoosh if you stand in a certain place. You avoid that place. With digital when you lose the threshold on the encoding there is no hiss, no warning, the signal just suddenly drops out in a very bad sounding digital warble. I'd say they're just different, not one better than the other as far as reception goes. That is - lighting, and bad equipment and bad grounds are gonna play hell on either one. Distance is gonna be just a tad farther on a digital system, but not dramatically so.
Think of it this way - analog FM is going to fade gently, while with digital its all or nothing - so yes the distance is greater with digital, but if you USE that distance, your chances are greater for really catastrophic results. Within reasonable distances both are pretty good actually.

What digital DOES do better is allow you to get literally dozens (if not hundreds) of mics or instruments or in ear monitors on stage with no crosstalk.

dixiecreek
May-01-2004, 10:55am
it's a good thing Chris went wireless for this tour, 'cause I saw Nickel Creek last year and Chris literally got stuck in one place during a song 'cause he was walking (more like bouncing, haha) around the stage and his cord got stuck on something, so he was trapped until Sara came over and freed him (with her toes, 'cause she was barefoot) WHILE PLAYING HER FIDDLE, haha... all kinds of crazy talent at those Nickel Creek concerts, haha http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Hubert Angaiak
May-04-2004, 3:06pm
I use a Shure UT guitar wireless. The pickup goes to the fishman guitar preamp and then the wireless transmitter is plugged in the out plug of the preamp. It works well enough and don't have to deal with curled up cord. The choice you have to make is either UHF or VHF and I believe digital may be the big thing now. VHF prices have gone down because of the UHF units. You'll need to select a freq that is not being used by the TV stations and such. If you have another band member, make sure you have a different channel. Keep extra batteries on hand.