PDA

View Full Version : Pomeroy

Kevin Briggs
Apr-12-2006, 5:08pm
Well, folks. I've been in the mandolin market for quite some time.

I decided a while ago I didn't want to sell off my custom Bitteroot, because it has a big powerful sound, and I like it over some other high end mandolins I've played. Therefore, I've had to save up for the two-point I want.

I've been up and down and back and forth about the thing, considering many great makers, but I'm 99% the "mando" has landed, for me. I spoke with Don Paine today about building me a Pomeroy two-point. Don was a warm personality, and he talked my ear off, which was nice, because I often do all of the talking when I inquire about mandolins.

The price point is fantastic, and Don was great in that he was almost talking me out of certain cosmetic features, because they would take me over my target price. That was a good feeling.

Anyway, it should be a little while longer, but, like I said, I'm pretty dang sure I'm going with a Pomeroy, fully loaded, for a price I didn't think I'd be able to get anywhere, and still get a first rate mandolin.

I'm stoked, and oddly relieved, that the search seems over. It's like I get to start thinking about the next phase now.

Lee
Apr-12-2006, 5:23pm
Will this be Don's first two-pointer? What features were discussed?

wah
Apr-12-2006, 5:32pm
A two-point by Don!!! Wow, I'm jealous. From what I know it'll be his first two-point, you'll have to post pictures. I have #13 - the first with the Pomeroy name on it and it has matured into a great sounding instrument. I say that based on the comments of others, including Don and those who heard it when I first got it. Those of you who love your Pomeroy's - just wait until you've played it two years. If they all develop like #13 you're really in for a treat.

Wayne #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

sgarrity
Apr-12-2006, 5:36pm
I ought to have my F5 from Don here in about 3 weeks I think. He's been great to work with and his mandolins are a tremendous value. I'll post a full review when it gets here.

Kevin Briggs
Apr-12-2006, 5:47pm
Well...

I'll hold off on specifics until I actually have the order in. I was just gushing a little, so I wanted to share.

I'm letting Don do his thing, mostly. I added some cosmetics I want that I don't currently have. There will be more than a few "firsts" if all goes well. If not, no biggie. I'm just happy to be on Don's list.

red7flag
Apr-12-2006, 10:22pm
Don is starting mine as he finishes sgarrity mando. What a wonderful time. Congrats Kevin on your order. Good luck on your 2 point.
Tony

LKN2MYIS
Apr-13-2006, 7:00am
I'm a big Pomeroy fan. Own #64.

Don is a delight to work with, and a professional in every sense of the word.

Be excited.

Be very excited.

Kevin Briggs
Apr-23-2006, 6:57pm
I'm curious as all heck. Let me here from youcurrent Pomeroy owners about how your enjoying your Pomeroy's. I'm itching to discuss this a bit. I've got "Pomeroys" on my mind.

red7flag
Apr-23-2006, 10:39pm
My Pomeroy, like sgarrity's, is in the oven, so to speak. Don has been a real pleasure to work with. I had a number of head trips he was very kind to work me through. I am so excited. With mine, Don is doing his first F4 that is attached to the body. When I suggested the idea he was excited about the prospect of doing it. I am sure he will do a great job with a 2 point.
Tony

LKN2MYIS
Apr-24-2006, 5:06am
Well, I love #64 F4(pictures on Don's web site). Had it over a year, and on a daily basis I'm more satisfied that I made the right decision.

It plays, looks, and sounds incredible. As it opens, it gets woodier and woodier, yet it was fantastic right out of the box.

Everywhere I take it other pickers (yep, even the Gibson guys) are amazed.

You can't go wrong.

Big Juan
Apr-24-2006, 11:55am
"I ought to have my F5 from Don here in about 3 weeks I think. He's been great to work with and his mandolins are a tremendous value. I'll post a full review when it gets here. "

What are his prices for his F5's?

LKN2MYIS
Apr-24-2006, 11:58am
Contact Don for prices. It depends on all your choices, and it's a very personal thing.

Don is real easy to deal with, is incredibly honest, and produces superior quality instruments.

Kevin Briggs
Apr-24-2006, 1:46pm
I concur with Don being easy to work with, and being honest. I've only been in contact with him a few times, but he was almost talking me out of upcharges at one point, because I gave him a price and he respected that price. That's class.

I'm just waiting to hear back about a start date. I don't want to hassle Don too much, but man am I eager to get this rolling. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif