PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 515

falzett
Apr-10-2006, 10:40am
I am a beginner mandolin player. I am interested in getting some thoughts from some of you regarding the Eastman 515 F style mandolins. I want to buy something that will serve me well, even if I should play with advanced musicians. - Thanks

red7flag
Apr-10-2006, 10:59am
I had the pleasure of playing a number of Eastmans at Steve Perry's store Gianna Violins including a 515. #I was very impressed with the tone for the price. #The fit and finish was also very good. #What was especially impressive was the ease of playing. #The Eastmans I played were set up by Steve Perry, with his MandoVoodoo technique. #I cannot speak for Eastmans from other shops, but the ones from his shop were strong. #Here is the link.
http://www.giannaviolins.com/eastmanmandolins/home.html #
I have no connection with Gianna Violins or Eastman.
As you will find out from their website, the 500 lvl Eastmans no longer include the Mandovoodoo technique. I don't know how this effects the sound.
Tony

falzett
Apr-10-2006, 11:14am
Could you compare this to a Michael Kelly Legacy Evolution series? - Thanks

csstanley
Apr-10-2006, 11:25am
Can't compare it to a MK but can to a handmade I had, a Morgan Monroe and a Johnson. Blows everyone of them out of the water.

Best mandolin I've owned so far, tone-wise and volume. And it just keeps getting better.

John M. Riley
Apr-10-2006, 11:34am
what kind of handmade mandolin was it that you had?

falzett
Apr-10-2006, 11:47am
What I am really after is a good long term instrument that will keep me free of the MAS I have heard about, and will serve me well should I become able to play with any good musicians eventually. I like the look of both of these mandolins, but I would like to get more feedback about users experiences. I appreciate any thoughts.

Greenmando
Apr-10-2006, 12:11pm
I had a MK Butterfly and it could not compare. I do have a Eastman 804 two point and I love it. I too would recommend Eastman mandolins and Steve Perry.
My MK had horrible intonation, the frets had a bad spacing that threw it off. the finish was poor and very thick.
After I upgraded to Gibsons I did not plan on buying any more Pac-rims, but the Eastman line is very nice.

bjc
Apr-10-2006, 12:24pm
I have two Eastman's and one MK (Legacy O). While the Legacy O is not the Evolution, it is an MK. I did not buy the first MK that I played because (I felt)it was not a good one. The one I bought plays real nice and has a good solid tone, however both of my Eastmans (IMHO) are on a different level in quality. I still like my MK and play it often, but I would hands down recommend going with the 515 over the MK.
The Eastmans feel like "real" mandolins to me (whatever THAT means) head and shoulders above my MK.
I don't know if this will protect you from MAS, but I don't think you'll regret buying an Eastman over the MK...

falzett
Apr-10-2006, 12:57pm
Is there anything I can buy for less than $600 that will compare favorably to the Eastman 515? -Thanks

bjc
Apr-10-2006, 1:21pm
Unless you get a great deal on something used (and here I am really stretching) or find a "magic" mandolin there is nothing (in my humble opinion) that compares and nothing under $600

csstanley
Apr-10-2006, 2:00pm
what kind of handmade mandolin was it that you had?
It was made by Victor Robichaeu up in canada. Apparently it was one of his first ones.

I liked it for a while but needed to grow. The Eastman is just what I need. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Jim Yates
Apr-10-2006, 2:40pm
There have been many similar threads on the Cafe and I think you'll find that the Easman wins out over MK in the opinion of most posters.

Now Falzet, you said,"What I am really after is a good long term instrument that will keep me free of the MAS I have heard about." I'm sure nothing short of a Loar will keep many players free of MAS.

Joe-TN
Apr-10-2006, 3:46pm
Although I can't speak from broad experience, I think you would be hard pressed to beat a 515 from Gianna Violins ...Even though the 515's no longer get the full "mandovoodoo". Steve is very particular about the setup on instruments that leave his shop. I took a 515 that I had bought elsewhere to Steve for a setup last week, and the difference between the before and after was very noticeable, in playability, volume and sound quality.

Joe

metalmandolin
Apr-10-2006, 9:01pm
You can still pay the difference for the Mandovoodoo on the 515, and they are great mandolins. I would get anything that is "utility-priced" voodooed without exception.
515s are arguably the first professional F mandolin at that price point.

Greenmando
Apr-10-2006, 9:57pm
Is there anything I can buy for less than $600 that will compare favorably to the Eastman 515? -Thanks
I bought my Gibson A9 for only a couple hundred more used here in the classifeds. F styles are nice but your money will buy a nicer A style than a F.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/Gibson004.jpg

Jim Broyles
Apr-10-2006, 10:16pm
I have owned an MK Legacy O, and it is not a fair comparison as the O is an oval hole mandolin, but it had no volume compared to my 515. There is a cafe member who has played my Eastman and he says it compares favorably to mandolins costing much more. I played his $3500.00 mandolin while he played my 515 and I thought mine sounded pretty darn good with him playing it. From the point of view of playing his custom mando, I thought they were very comparable in tone and volume. You will not be disappointed in the 515, even after you are a mandomaster. I highly recommend getting yours from gianna violins and paying the extra for a mandovoodoo. If you want, I'll play mine over the phone for you.

Eric F.
Apr-10-2006, 10:42pm
Well, you can't get a new 515 for $600.

Steve Perry
Apr-11-2006, 8:58am
Is there anything I can buy for less than $600 that will compare favorably to the Eastman 515?

Yeah... the 505 A-style Eastman should be $520. Won't have the scroll, but everything else should be comparable to the 515.

Steve