View Full Version : Questions about solid-body mando amplification...

Kid Charlemagne
Apr-06-2004, 2:46pm
I'm curious to see what you guys do to reduce (if you do) the amount of treble that is a natural byproduct of amplifying an electric mandolin. #Considering that we're a good octave above standard guitar, but most of us playing in a rock setting probably play semi-guitar riffs, it can be hard to blend in with the rest of the band at times when not playing rhythm.

Do you use the amp's settings, a pedal or set of pedals, or do you simply avoid the E (and sometimes A) strings during rhythm parts and play on the D and G (and C if you've got a 5 string).


Tom C
Apr-06-2004, 2:52pm
It sounds like you are strickly talking electric solid body mando, no?
if not, use old strings http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif It's a mando why cut out the highs?

John Rosett
Apr-06-2004, 4:52pm
i have a 60's kingston solidbody, and it's pretty bright too. i just roll the tone knob all the way to the bass side, and it sounds pretty good. i'm playing jazz, not rock, and i don't expect it to sound like a guitar. you might think about an electric mandola or a 10-string. that might be in the range you want.
good luck, john

Apr-25-2004, 2:44am
I put 4 fat mandola strings on and tuned it #as such:
C G D A .
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif
on my F61 8 string /EMG stack pickup,still GDAE
{have an EQ stomp:MXR 10 band ,&tube vibro-champ.}
also: Try a different value for the tone circuit's capacitor , it influences the roll off frequency.

Apr-25-2004, 6:09am
You can do a few things. First, use a good all tube amp. Even the rectifier should be tube. A tube amp hasa property called tube sag. For an electric mandolin this is an especially good thing because it helps reduce the pingy quality of the high strings. You can adjust the pick-up so it is farther from the strings on the treble side. And thin gauge strings will help too. Thin strings will excite the magnetic pick-up less than a heavy string. On my Schwab 5-string with the longer 14.5" scale, I use 0.008, 0.011, 0.018, 0.024, 0.034.

Ted Eschliman
Apr-25-2004, 10:33am
It isn't amplification, but you might consider flatwound strings. These are generally less bright; more comfortable for sliding, too.

Bandersnatch Reverb
Apr-25-2004, 7:08pm
You might want to try an acoustic processor, or at least a compressor. Compression especially, will roll the highs down a bit (and the lows up a bit) and make your tone a bit more squashed and midrangy.

Apr-25-2004, 8:48pm
I tried a Yamaha rack compressor and found it sterilized the sound. But that's just me. I'd re-emphasize lighter string gauges. Kid, tells us what you think after the string swap; I'm curious.

Apr-27-2004, 1:44pm
In the jam-band I play with I use a mandobird. I roll off the the treb on the knob, then on the rig, I turn off the eq on the Mesa 50. cal, push the presence down and roll off the treb. It works for me pretty good, however the flatwounds sound like a good idea too.....hmmm now you have me thinking.


Apr-28-2004, 2:19pm
Flatwounds won't help the E or A strings.

Apr-28-2004, 6:53pm
I think the biggest things you can do are to a) play through an all tube amplifier, and b) play an instrument with humbuckers. So, go and get a replacement pu for your Mandobird, there has been plenty of discussion about doing just that in the electric forum... Unless you have some real need for the clarity of a single coil pu, the warmth of a double coil is really going to help a *lot*. My Ryder 4 string has two split coil humbuckers, and my most all-purpose setting is middle position, double coil at the neck and single at the bridge for some brightness. Playing a single coil at the bridge is *great* for electric slam-grass kind of stuff. Nice bite, and it doesn't boom when you chop. Other than that, I rarely use the split settings... YMMV, naturally :)


Jason West
May-01-2004, 8:06am
A rack mount EQ will do wonders. (parametric if you can afford it).