PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for a teens A4?

Eric F.
Apr-05-2006, 5:16pm
Hey all: I left my 1918 A4 for some work - fret dressing, set up, bridge fitting, hairline crack filled with glue. I've been thinking of selling it. One of the luthiers would like to buy it, but wants me to suggest a price.

It's missing the pickguard and hardware for it, and the top has levelled off some. It's not collapsed, it's fine, and a Gibson luthier has told me it's nothing to worry about. Otherwise, it's in nice condition, with the scratches and scuffs you would expect from an instrument of this age. It also sounds good. It has the tailpiece cover, which is relatively untarnished.

Anyone have a ballpark price for me? Thanks in advance.

ShaneJ
Apr-05-2006, 6:33pm
<a href="http://search-completed.ebay.com/gibson-a4-a-4-a-4-mandolin_W0QQamp;sspagenameZhQ3ahQ3aadvsearchQ3aUS QQcatrefZC5QQfbdZ1QQfc

lZ3QQfisZ2QQflocZ1QQfposZ79601QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQ fsclZ1QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQfssZ0QQftrtZ1QQf

trvZ1QQftsZ2QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsacqyo pZgeQQsacurZ0QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsa

slcZ0QQsaslopZ1QQsatitleZgibsonQ20Q28a4Q2caQ2d4Q2c aQ204Q29Q20mandolinQQsofocusZbs" target="_blank">This will give you a place to start getting an idea....</a>

Oops! That doesn't work. I did an "Advanced Search" on ebay for completed auctions for "gibson (a4,a-4,a 4) mandolin".

Ken Waltham
Apr-05-2006, 6:38pm
With no original hardware, and a small issue with the top, it's going to be hurt substantially.
Probably 45% to 50% off an original example, since they are very abundant, and can be had any day of the week.

Eric F.
Apr-05-2006, 7:05pm
Thanks for the input. Ken, the tuners and tailpiece cover are original - just the pickguard and mounting hardware are gone. I'm not sure what "an original example" would go for - I see them for $1650 and I see them for $2400. Shane, thanks also to you for responding. I did look at eBay but those are so all over the map it's hard to judge.

JGWoods
Apr-05-2006, 8:33pm
I don't follow the vintage market- I sometimes follow the ebay market and the classifeds market.
I have a 1917 A4 - great sounding, bit of a beater, small cracks, scuffs, binding has cracks no gaps, fingerboard has divots etc.
I would take no less than $1500 rock bottom, and I'd like $1800 to sell it.
Not that I am selling it now, that's just my take on pricing.

mandroid
Apr-09-2006, 1:01pm
Wow, I got my A4, '21 for $1350, locally, a consignment.
then I brought it to the friendly local tavern jam, and met up with the 2nd owner, who gave it up as he wasnt grasping the chord change thing on it too well, after 20 years. 1st owner got it after returning from WW1. came loose in the estate sale.
Tommy is adaquate on piano and a nice subtile drummer on small snare /hihat kit, though. subtile drummer , a rare bird !

BBarton
Apr-18-2006, 9:11pm
Good deal, mandroid, if that was recently! #I purchased a '20 A4 in EXC condition with all the original parts from Elderly about 10-11 years ago for $1250 and I would think that prices have just about doubled since then for good ones. #Mine's a keeper and not for sale, though!

mythicfish
Apr-18-2006, 11:15pm
A nice, clean example might go for about 100 gallons of unleaded regular.

Curt

mythicfish
Apr-18-2006, 11:18pm
Whoops ... add a zero. You do the math. obviously I can't.

Curt

Ken Waltham
Apr-19-2006, 4:25pm
Thanks for the input. Ken, the tuners and tailpiece cover are original - just the pickguard and mounting hardware are gone. I'm not sure what "an original example" would go for - I see them for $1650 and I see them for $2400. Shane, thanks also to you for responding. I did look at eBay but those are so all over the map it's hard to judge.

Sorry, when I read it, I read as though the pickguard was gone.. and all the hardware.
Just the p/g missing, only hurt a little, and some wouldn't even care.
$2100.00??

Eric F.
Apr-20-2006, 8:47am
Thanks everyone for your input! I do appreciate it.

otterly2k
Apr-20-2006, 3:38pm
Eric-- I had a 1921 A4 in great condition (case was pretty beaten up but the mando was good) with original appointments and the only notable repair need was a little bit of binding separation around the back of the heel. I got $2k for it from a vintage instrument dealer who must've thought he'd be selling it for a bit more.

I might have been able to get more for it if I'd been more savvy to the mando market, but I wasn't at the time. 's ok... I bought it for $350 in the late '80's, so I figure I still came out way ahead... and selling it (ironically) is what brought me back into mando world.

fatt-dad
Apr-20-2006, 8:07pm
A 1920 A3 just sold on ebay for $2,500.00, I'd bet the $2,100.00 figure is right - sometimes ebay can get going too high.

I noticed this auction as I'm considering selling my 1920 white-face a3 and I was thinking/hoping it'd go for $2,000.00. Sometimes this mandolin market is hard to figure. . . .

fatt just-a-guess dad

oakland
Apr-21-2006, 1:21pm
I recently bought a 1915 gibson A4 (black top) in somewhat worn but very playable condition (a few nicks in addition to the usual playing wear, no cracks) for about $1700.00.