PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a Pomeroy!

Cragger
Apr-06-2004, 7:42am
My MAS is hitting again and I'm ready to take the dive. I just need a shove. I have been looking at the Pomeroy instruments for some time now and I really like the look of the finish and the woods he uses. I have never been able to play one because I live in Alabama and they just don't make them this far very often. All of you Pomeroy fans speak up and help me make a decision.

c3hammer
Apr-06-2004, 10:24am
One of the hot pickers here in Salt Lake and a Cafe member, Ken Sagar just got one. It's a sweet sounding mandolin to say the least.

I'm a lefty so I can't play it, but to my ear and eye it is one fine instruement.

Cheers,
Pete

Jonathan James
Apr-06-2004, 10:32am
I have a Pomeroy A-5 (#26) and this thing rocks! Great finish and better sound. Gets better every month. Don is a great guy to work with and I'm sure you won't be sorry...(no financial interest)

JJ

andymando
Apr-06-2004, 10:41am
> #because I live in Alabama and they just don't make them
> this far very often...

Cragger... Hi, I'm over in Georgia (Athens area), and I know of 2 Pomeroys that made it over here! #I have an F5, which has pics posted elsewhere in the Cafe msg board... and also an oval hole, long necked A model. #I discovered Don through a Colorado friend. #These are the only 2 Pomeroys that I've played, and based on this, I say Don is building some very toneful, very comfortable mandos... quite a bargain, too... and the woods he used in these 2 are premo. #Both of these mandos have an overall friendly feel that invites one to settle in and play for awhile.
I wouldn't hesitate!
Andy

Hunter
Apr-06-2004, 10:49am
Cragger,
My Pomeroy (F4 #31) is truly beautiful in tone, workmanship, and wood selection. Don is an undiscovered talent. His mandolins are an outstanding value right now. Like Andy said...I wouldn't hesitate!
Keith

wah
Apr-06-2004, 2:06pm
I'll chime in about #13 again. She's the first one with the Pomeroy name and an example of his earlier work. She's a beautiful piece of work and Don hit something about tone around this time. I played a couple of newer A's last summer and they were great. Don's work is beautiful and the tone is great - wonderful sustain. I know his newer stuff is even more awesome.

I recently sent her back to Don for some minor work (and upgraded to the newer bridge and tailpiece cover). I discovered Don is a really nice guy to work with (what is it about making mando's that so many of these luthier's are genuinely good people?).

You won't be sorry.

Wayne

Ken Sager
Apr-06-2004, 2:10pm
Cragger,
Here's a link to another recent discussion about Pomeroys.
Pomeroy Discussion (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=14367;hl=pomeroy)

I love mine (#43) and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the complement, Pete!

Best,
Ken

Cary Fagan
Apr-10-2004, 8:13am
Hey there, all. I've been looking at the Pomeroy site and have had had one email exchange with Don. It is hard when you can't play one. Maybe you owners can answer this. First, I'm looking for a really playable neck. His radius looks really nice; how's it feel? Second, volume. I'm not a loud picker and need an instrument that can project.
Love to have a response or two while you're on the subject.

Cary Fagan
Apr-10-2004, 8:14am
A p.s. to my previous entry. I'm thinking of the Pomeroy instead of finding a used Collings MT2. Any comparisons?

Ken Sager
Apr-13-2004, 3:59pm
I have a Pomeroy F5 and a Collings MT2A. Volume is practically the same. The Collings has more pop, but less bass. The Pomeroy has more bass, depth, and richness. They aren't the loudest mandolins, but they both are loud enough in a big jam. I happen to like the tone of the Pomeroy best when played at all volume levels.

Neck width is identical, and the radius feels the same and after eyeballing it I'd say they are the same. Don uses a different string spacing, though, putting the pairs closer together on the A&E strings (smaller gap between A strings, etc.). That's the only difference in how they feel. They both take hard driving well. It's easy to get both to respond.

I've played and witnessed louder mandolins, but I try not to play in situations where I'm fighting to be heard.

Best,
Ken

Cary Fagan
Apr-13-2004, 8:04pm
Thanks, Ken. Very useful. How would you compare their chop?

Ken Sager
Apr-14-2004, 2:28pm
The Collings' chop is brighter, the Pomeroy has more of a bassy fwopp. Both are pretty meaty chops. I hope that helps. I keep fresh J74s on both mandos, too, so it's a fairly even comparison.

I hope this helps,
Ken

Cary Fagan
Apr-14-2004, 4:06pm
It does. Thanks, Keith.
Now I'm off to my weekly jam!