PDA

View Full Version : Neil Dean mandolin

tattiemando
Apr-02-2006, 10:38am
I see there is a Neil Dean mandolin f5 model varnish at Greg Boyd's, has anyone played it, if so what ere your impressions with regard to tone, playability, quality of workmanship. Also if anybody is the owner of a Neil Dean mandolin, what are yoor opinions.

Igor The Cat
Apr-02-2006, 11:52am
I met Neil at this past wintergrass 2006 and played a few of his mandos and let me tell you they are all GREAT mandolins!!!

I did not play greg boyds Dean but if there anything like his other mandos it is definetly worth the $3650! But for that much money you get get a custom built one from Dean himself! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ab4usa
Apr-02-2006, 3:04pm
I have a new one on order. When I ordered it was #3,850 so you would save $200 and 18 months. I doubt his prices will stay there long.

G_Smolt
Apr-02-2006, 10:48pm
Actually, Neil's base F price is 3850...that one would probably go for +4000.

Nolan
Apr-10-2006, 7:45pm
I spent quite a bit of time with a Neil Dean F at Wintergrass that was for sale. #If this is the same one, I thought it was a very nice mandolin. #His mandolins typically play very well and are (to me at least) very comfortable. #He did (among other things) all the set up at Rigel for many years so that may explain the playability.

It's hard top explain in words what a mandolin is like, too bad you can't just go play it! #Ask Chad for his honest opinion, he's played everything and is a straight shooter.

amowry
Apr-10-2006, 10:44pm
If that's the F5 that Neil had at Wintergrass, I liked it too. It had a nice slender neck and sounded great to my ear.