PDA

View Full Version : Thile picks?

Atlanta Mando Mike
Apr-05-2004, 10:12pm
I have been working on transcribing a bunch of tunes from Stealing Second. I usually use a d'andrea propleck pick (kind of like a pointier dawg pick) but I have found it is just to thick for me to cleanly play alot of the notes and crosspicking stuff he's doing. I switched to a thinner pick, still heavy, and I can play alot of the parts much easier but my tone is suffering. Anybody have any idea what type of pick thile uses or have any pointers on pulling tone with a thinner pick. I like the accuracy and if I can improve my tone I might switch to a thinner pick on everything I play.

Kbone
Apr-06-2004, 7:46am
Last i heard Thile use a " Pro Plec "

LilCreekster
Apr-11-2004, 5:12pm
Yup, 1.5 rounded triangles. On his video he's playing the 1.14 claytons I think, and then he played the 1.26 claytons for a while.

I love the tone of the proplecs, but if the thickness is getting in your way, give the 1.26 claytons a try.

And Chris'd probably tell you to slow down if you're not playing cleanly
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

wannabethile
Apr-11-2004, 6:41pm
i just went to my first nickel creek concert in hollywood friday night, and one of the sound guys gave me 2 of chris' picks. it was funny, cuz he signed and played my mando, and stopped and said "this is just like the picks i use". haha. i am in awe.

dixiecreek
Apr-12-2004, 1:16am
and I was the lucky one who Robert ^ was nice enough to give the second pick to, so I've spent a large part of the day today playing my mando with Chris's pick. It's WAY thicker than the one I'm used to, but I kinda like it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kbone
Apr-12-2004, 7:25am
I've been working with the Pro Plec " and the key is to hold it very loose and keep your hand/wrist real relaxed - the tone is real fat/warm. What i like ( due to polished edges )most is how easy the pick goes over the strings.

wannabethile
Apr-12-2004, 12:18pm
it was my pleasure hannah. #i cant stop playing my mando since i got his pick and his signature, haha.

dixiecreek
Apr-12-2004, 1:35pm
I know what you mean, hehe, I still can't put mine down... it was funny, the day after Chris signed my mando I was sitting in my room playing a couple Creek songs and my mom came in and goes "Did he leak something on there or what?!" ;)

wannabethile
Apr-12-2004, 3:47pm
haha, my folks are asking me the same kinda questions. they just cant accept the fact that ive got a little bit of his powers in it now.

dixiecreek
Apr-12-2004, 5:10pm
and he actually played your mando, so you got twice as much! (did you notice that he was still holding his Sharpie in his left hand, while playing? now there's a cool trick!) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

wannabethile
Apr-12-2004, 11:57pm
yes indeed, i am still in awe, haha

Garrett
Apr-13-2004, 6:43am
Loosen your grip! A loose grip and a hard pick with a point should make for maximum speed.

dixiecreek
Apr-13-2004, 2:19pm
Maximum speed, eh? Hannah is intrigued. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Garrett
Apr-13-2004, 9:39pm
The fastest players I've ever seen up close -- Adam Steffey, Andy Statman, Chris Thile -- all have very loose wrists, loose pick grips and hard picks. Clarence White was the same on the guitar. It's hard to get used to at first if you have a death grip on the pick, but it actually gives you the most control by loosening or strengthening your grip for dynamics, tremelo and tone. The default grip should be loose, though.

dixiecreek
Apr-16-2004, 12:57pm
I finally had a chance to sit down and play with the pro plec for a few hours last night, and I'm really starting to like it a lot. Took some getting used to though since it's so dang thick!

Albert Whiting
Apr-16-2004, 2:59pm
adam steffey uses a more from the elbow technique and also uses a 1.14 shiny plastic pick. i probably wouldn't recommend that technique but it dang sure works for him. thile uses a super loose wrist and holds the pick loosely. works for him. moral of the story... do what is comfortable and doesn't hinder speed tone or timing.

dixiecreek
Apr-18-2004, 2:24am
I usually do the loose wrist thing, but today I experimented with planting my pinkie and ring finger on the pick guard and having a looser elbow. It felt way different, but it wasn't uncomfortable. I've seen people play both ways; like they'll do their tremolo with the fingers planted and everything else with just a loose wrist and no planting. I'm still trying to figure out what's most comfortable for me...

mandomood
Apr-18-2004, 9:30am
I'll second steffey's approach....he plays hard, plants his pinky and a few times I've seen him using a 2mm pick to great effect. But they play different music...in different situations and more importantly different kinds of instruments (wood combos) so the tone has to be pulled differently from each....you have to do what works until it doesn't work for you anymore...

Pete Martin
Apr-21-2004, 1:26pm
Remember the Michael Jordan commercial line "It must be the shoes"? Ah HA! The pick must be the reason I can't sound like Sam Bush.

Seriously, I once heard someone ask Mark O'Connor what kind of rosin he used...