PDA

View Full Version : mowry how good are they

tattiemando
Mar-31-2006, 1:16pm
Anybody play a Mowry f5 style I am interested in buying one but unable to try it out as work and travel is a problem for me. Are they well made, are they fun to play. Why are they cheaper than other varnished models because if they sound as good as they look then anybody who plays one has surely got a wonderful mando.

Lane Pryce
Mar-31-2006, 1:35pm
Call Greg Boyd and get his opinion, maybe they'll play one over the phone for you. Andrew will furnish contact info of Mowry owners for you. You can discuss the mandolins totally uninhibited --- get some really useful information.
Andrew is very approachable --- give him a call or an email for answers to your questions.
I have one on order and its nearing completion. So I may be a bit biased. Lp

Jim M.
Mar-31-2006, 1:41pm
As far as pricing goes, it's not unusual for a young builder who hasn't established a reputation to sell mandos at a lower price. That's just market economics. It doesn't mean the quality is less. I've bought mandos from established builders and new builders and have been very happy with both.

Chris Baird
Mar-31-2006, 1:43pm
I've played a couple Mowrys, they both were very well built and sounded great.

otterly2k
Mar-31-2006, 1:48pm
As far as pricing goes, it's not unusual for a young builder who hasn't established a reputation to sell mandos at a lower price. That's just market economics.

Yes, and for those who are willing to take a chance on young/new builders, it can be an opportunity to get really great mandos for a really great price. There may be a little bit more risk (they have somewhat less experience, and probably fewer instruments out there to try than longer estableshed luthiers)... but it can be WAY worth it.

Regardless, when ordering from any builder (or working with any contractor), it's a good idea to get some references or contact someone who has worked with them...especially if you don't have an opportunity for a hands-on trial.
KE

first string
Mar-31-2006, 2:57pm
I too have a Mowry on order...So you know, like J. it is possible that I am biased; but in my humble opion you would be hard pressed to find better. Go to Mowrystrings.com and listen to the clip of Josh Pinkham playing a Mowry F5. If you're not convinced that the tone is all there, I will be extremely suprised.

Roydw3
Mar-31-2006, 7:20pm
I am planning on buying a Mowry...I even have all the specs picked out...but...it will take me a couple of years to save that kind of money...I have found Andrew to be fantastic. He answered all of my emails and crazy questions. He seems like a great guy and I love the sound clip on his website. The pictures are great too.

Ward Elliott
Mar-31-2006, 9:31pm
I've never had the chance to play one of Andrew's mandolins, but I've looked close at his website photos and e-mailed back and forth with him a few times, and I think he's doing some of the cleanest work I've seen. And if Greg Boyd says they're good, and if the price is less than you would expect it to be, then I don't see how you can go wrong.

Jim Roberts
Mar-31-2006, 10:05pm
What a nice compliment, Ward. #A first class builder such as yourself giving praise to another great builder! #These are great times for us mandolin players. #We have lots to be thankful for.

Dave Gumbart
Mar-31-2006, 11:02pm
Well, as one of the folks recently showing some pics of a new Mowry being built (and new owner of an F5 as of 3 days ago), I can say this: stunning workmanship - a joy to look at and it feels good when I play it. For sound and such, I am very pleased, but that is so subjective, it's got to be your own call. I am satisfied and look forward to the mando coming into its own - heck at 3 days, it's still a baby. I also had a few reasons I wanted to contact Andrew other than sound. Friendly reminder: with lots of mandolins out there and tons of far-better-than-I-am players who know those instruments, you can do far better than rely on my opinion.

Dave

tattiemando
Apr-01-2006, 3:35am
I have listened to the sound clip of Josh Pinkham on the Mowry mandolin , it sounds nice. Neil Dean mandolins look fantastic also, anybody have any opinions on them

amowry
Apr-01-2006, 12:29pm
I was trying my best to keep my nose out of where it doesn't belong, but I'm not always good at that; I just wanted to thank everyone for all the kind comments here, and it's especially humbling hearing from great builders like Chris and Ward. Ward has been a huge help to me in the past few years, when I've run into building questions.

While I'm at it, I met Neil Dean at Wintergrass and played a few of his mandolins, and they looked and sounded great. And he's a fellow Vermonter (I've been transplanted), so naturally he's a great guy!

Alex Fields
Apr-03-2006, 9:10pm
Looks like Andrew killed the thread. : )

His mandolins are some of my very favorites aesthetically. Unfortunately I've never been able to play one and, while they sound great on those clips, you can tell very little from recordings because there are so many other factors involved. As well made as they obviously are, though, I'm sure they sound great.

amowry
Apr-03-2006, 10:48pm
Looks like Andrew killed the thread. #: )
Doh! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Ward Elliott
Apr-04-2006, 12:08am
Hey, I've killed my own thread before too! Andrew, what finishes are you using these days? And have you got anymore octave mandos in the works?

amowry
Apr-04-2006, 10:27am
Hi Ward-- I'm mostly still using the spirit varnish, but I've experimented lately with the Rockhard tabletop and the Target brushing varnish. They all look very similar when I French polish on top of them, but the Rockhard has a little more color. The durability seems similar too, but with soft spruce it always seems fairly easy to dent the wood THROUGH any finish if the finish is thin. Is that the experience you've had?

No more octaves yet, but I'm dying to build one for myself and I know I'll never have the time.

Ward Elliott
Apr-04-2006, 3:33pm
Andrew......I agree on the finish thickness thing. I haven't used the Rockhard Table Top varnish, but I've used spirit varnish, Tru-Oil, nitro lacquer, water-based lacquer, and water-based varnish, and there was not much difference in ability to withstand a fingernail mark. And I'd rather have some marks than strangle the mando with a hard or thick finish. Keep up the good work! Your A model in the other thread looks very nice!