PDA

View Full Version : First post...First Mandolin, an F5G

RoryDon
Mar-30-2006, 1:37pm
Hi guys,
I'm a newby coming over from the Unofficial Martin Guitar Site and need your help.
I just purchased a Gibson F5G #and the owner tells me the fretboard extension has been cut off and that this is not uncommon for Mandolin pickers to do.
Can you enlighten me as to the frequency of this change out there?

RORY DON

red7flag
Mar-30-2006, 1:46pm
Welcome Rory.
There seems to be a number of ways to deal with that issue. My new ones will have an angled fretboard like my Collins. Many "scoop" out the florida extention so there is a minimum of pick contact. Some square off the fretboard. A number of Weber models come to mind. I will leave others to give more detailed information.
Tony

acousticphd
Mar-30-2006, 2:06pm
I've cut the extension off of both mandos I've had with the longer style that extends down over the top (Flatiron A, and Kentucky A). #Some people can play with one; #I can't stand them. #I've also pulled the frets from a couple other smaller extensions and filed them smooth or scooped them. #If I had an F5G, it's the first thing I'd do, though I'd take care to do a nice job.

It's good that the seller pointed this out. #I don't know if it is "common", but it's not uncommon. #(I can say that I have never, ever, seen a mandolin player play fretted notes on the extension!) #I think the thing to do as a buyer is do some searches to find #examples/photos of the same model so you know whether what you're looking at is non-standard or modified - same as you would for a used guitar. # You might decide you like it better with no extension, or you might have an argument for asking for a bit lower price.

Chip Booth
Mar-30-2006, 2:46pm
I think you will find doing something to the extension is pretty common. I have had one scooped, and the other mandos I have owned with an extension came scooped. #I prefer the scoop look to cutting them off. Many modern builders, such as Collings and Weber, don't include an extension at all on some models.

And welcome to the board http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Chip

RoryDon
Mar-30-2006, 3:23pm
Whew! Thanks guys! I feel a lot better already. I did buy the F5G at a nice discount mainly because of some pretty good pick scarring right at the picking area so its going to be a "beater" for me anyway.
I'm a Martin guitar/Gibson banjo picker and am totally clueless on mandolins so I'm sure I'll be pickin" y'alls brains pretty good !
Thanks again for the help.

RORY DON

Mark Walker
Mar-30-2006, 3:34pm
RORY DON - that 'pick scarring' gives it that 'distressed' look people pay extra for!
But seriously, aesthetics aside, if you're happy with how it plays, sounds and fits your hands, and can live with the 'inherent distressing' then you've won most of the battles! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Greenmando
Mar-30-2006, 3:46pm
Welcome to the board.
The great thing here is you have a mandolin that will last a lifetime and you will not out grow. Any more mandolins will be due to MAS and not the need to upgrade. In case you are unaware of it, MAS is mandolin acquisition syndrome. Highly contagious and near impossible to cure.

RoryDon
Mar-30-2006, 4:33pm
Yea Greenmando,
I hear you loud and clear! On the Martin site I've suffered GAS to the tune of about $15,000 and suddenly I got MAS TOO!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Now , even though the F5G is comin' I know I'll be MASING for the F5L eventually...OH MY G...! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

RORY DON

stevem
Mar-30-2006, 4:55pm
Gibson f9's comes extensionless as a standard. The sweet spot to pick on many mandos is often right where an extension would be, so IMO better to not have to worry about whacking it with your pick.

Very few players actually fret way up on the extended fretboard anyways; the real reason for the extension is looks.

But, as you can see, babes can't keep their hands off extensionless mandos either.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

j-hill
Mar-30-2006, 5:01pm
On one of Sam Bush's videos he tells the story that he was considering sawing off the fretboard extension on his mandolin and so he asked someone who had already done it if it affected the tone. The person responded, 'sure it affected the tone, I don't have that darn clicking anymore.'

Jason

mlbex
Mar-30-2006, 5:36pm
You got gypped! Once you cut off the extension, the mandolin has no value.

However I'll take it off your hands for $100.

:=)

Grandude
Mar-30-2006, 10:01pm
Jason, you're right. The person he asked was Roland White (one of our mandolin forefathers). I have never played a mandolin that had a sweet spot at any other location than that spot. Mine is not cut off nor scalloped, so I hear the clicking anytime I play lead. Some people play lead behind the extension to avoid the clicking, and/or to get a less bass sound.

Rory, the Gibson "Sam Bush Model" comes with the extension cut off. Many players feel that it actually enhances the instrument.

Steve Farling
Mar-31-2006, 11:20am
Rory Don, Welcome to the Cafe, and welcome to the F5-G club. I'm in the planning stages right now to scoop the fretboard on my F5-G. I just can't decide to go with fake frets after the scoop, or just leave it plain.

RoryDon
Mar-31-2006, 4:09pm
Thank you all for the responses.
Now someone explain "scooping" to me please.
And please remember, I am totally ignorant to Mandolin terminology so some of these issues may be quite mundane to you guys.
Also can you explain "Cremona"? Is this a vintage type finish?

RORY DON

Eric F.
Mar-31-2006, 4:28pm
Scooping is removing the frets and thinning the fretboard in that area. BTW, welcome to the cafe. I think an F5G should make a pretty nice "beater."

tremolo jones
Mar-31-2006, 5:04pm
Rory

A picture is worth a thousand words, and once again frets.com comes to the rescue.

Frets scoop (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Mandolin/DropTongue/droptongue.html)

Welcome to cafe. You have found the cure for that banjo habit.