PDA

View Full Version : Gibson mandos

mandolinplucker
Mar-29-2006, 5:18pm
This probably has been discussed before but I would like to know when the good years of mandos ended and when they started again. And what was wrong with the ones in the bad years.

Big Joe
Mar-30-2006, 12:08am
They were all pretty good compared to what was available. The best years are 22-24 (Loar era), and the current era. That does not mean there were not some great mandolins made during other periods. The least desired would likely be the 70's and early 80's. That being said, I've played some good ones from those years. Each person has a different idea of what good and bad is so it's a pretty subjective concept. Personally I don't care much for anything after early 30's till 2002. Just my opinion.

Jerry Byers
Mar-30-2006, 6:10am
Is 2002 the date from the label? From what I'm reading, the design of the 2002 models really began in late 2000. I'm looking at a F-5L, or Fern, with a date of 9/2000 and a signature which appears to be Daley. Would you consider this model worthy of consideration?

carleshicks
Mar-30-2006, 6:57am
A 2000 is not the same as the current fern signed by Danny Roberts, But all fo the late 90's through 2001 f-5l's that I have played have been fine instruments. I would recomend playing it and trust your ear. Structuraly it is a perfect mando but it will sound different than the current F-5 Fern.

Jerry Byers
Mar-30-2006, 9:32am
Can anybody verify this signature? It looks like Daley, but I can't be sure.

Celtic Saguaro
Mar-30-2006, 10:38am
Between 1945 and the early 1980's the quality of Gibson mandolins was not what it was before or is now. #Different management and different ownership were the biggest causes. #Also contributing before the late sixties, was that there was very little market for mandolins and consequently very little competion in mandolin building.

Jshankle
Mar-30-2006, 11:59am
Hi Jerry,

That label sure looks like it says "Simeon C. Daley", which is Sim's full name and the one he signs on his label.
It matches my Daley's F5 signature.

Hope this helps.

Wilson
Mar-30-2006, 2:03pm
That is definitely a Sim Daley mandolin from Gibson. I have one also, dated 10/24/2000, that is wonderful. You should test drive it at least. The one I have was definitely the best of the three from that era that I tried. I spent quite a bit on return postage and I eventually bought this one from First Quality. I wonder how Sim feels now about his old Gibson "babies."

rhfeiner
Mar-30-2006, 3:08pm
I have a May, 1996 Fern made in Bozman and signed by Bruce Weber which I really enjoy. Also played a similar year x braced which was laso a nice instrument.

Alex Fields
Apr-02-2006, 8:32pm
I wonder how Sim feels now about his old Gibson "babies."

There's a Gibson poster on his wall...and under it a sign that says "sucks." Take from that what you may.

Mikey G
Aug-23-2006, 10:58am
Quote: Personally I don't care much for anything after early 30's till 2002.
Big Joe, I have a 2001 Fern signed by Danny Roberts that I wouldn't trade for any mandolin at the showcase the day I was there. They may be worth more money, but that's not why I bought it. It's absolutely beautiful and plays like a dream. Are you saying that this mandolin is not in the same league with later Gibson ferns? I've always agreed with most of your comments, but don't agree with this perspective

tiltman
Aug-23-2006, 12:09pm
I don't think that Big Joe meant to insult anyone that has a mandolin outside of his preferred years. He even said that there are good ones from the 70's and early 80's (a truly ghastly period in Gibson history).
I also have a '96 Fern signed by Bruce Weber which I get a lot of compliments on. It's a great mandolin which I think is in the same league with current Ferns.
Kirk

Mikey G
Aug-23-2006, 2:40pm
I wasn't insulted,(far from it.) I truly appreciate Big Joe and his knowledge of mandolins. Being an owner of three Gibsons, all pre 2002, I was a little stunned by his comment. I really appreciate his posts, especially on Gibson mandolins, and look forward to reading them. My pre 2002 Gibsons are all hosses: I can't imagine a better looking, sounding, or playing group of mandos.

Cullowheekid
Aug-23-2006, 2:55pm
Don't discount the Gibson/Flatiron years.I believe it was 88'-96'.I have a 91'Carlson signed F5G that is a great sounding and playing instrument. Eric

Big Joe
Aug-23-2006, 5:18pm
My post was not to discount anyone's mandolin. My reply was based upon what I thought were the most consistent years. Certainly there were some great mando's from 2001. My point was that we were still working on the formula then and by 2002...give or take a bit...we had overcome some of the problems we encountered in the early days. Like any product, they were a work in progress. We were able to be more consisntent by 2002 and 2003 was a bit better overall and 2004 even a bit better. It is not a reflection on any mandolin, just our ability to do the job a hair bit better all the time. I would hope that is the case! The Montana era produced some very very fine instruments. I remember getting my first Flatiron F5 about 92. I got it from Gruhn's. It was chocolate color and I thought I had died and gone to heaven! It was so much better than my Alvarez F model! Still I would not compare that to the DMM I have now. There are great mandolins from every era no matter if they were built in Kalamazoo, Montana, or Nashville. We are just so blessed to have such a wonderful selection of great mandolins. And, I was just giving my opinion. While I may like to think I am always right, you do have the right to disagree http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

Dan Adams
Aug-23-2006, 5:56pm
My 75' A-12 is a fine sounding and playing instrument. Not always when it was made, but dependent upon each individual instrument. #Go figure? #Dan

45ACP-GDLF5
Aug-23-2006, 6:32pm
I agree with Big Joe. From the 30's until the early 80's, Gibson left much to be desired. There were a few good ones here and there, but overall the quality dropped off a lot. The merging of Gibson/Flatiron was a big jump in the right direction. The mandolins that Gibson puts out now are of equal quality as those of 80 years ago. I spent a little time this past weekend talking to Danny Roberts and what he has learned from Charlie Derrington{RIP} will keep Gibson's quality on top of the game for years to come. I'm proud to own 2 Gibsons and am looking for number 3.

Hey Cullowheekid, I believe I know you. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Tiderider
Aug-23-2006, 6:58pm
So, let me get the straight. #Gibson had it down pat in 1923 only to lose it, then recapture the recipe 80 years later in 2003. #Wow!! #I'm glad my A9 is a 2003 model.:p
Lee

tiltman
Aug-23-2006, 7:30pm
and my best mandolins are from the "struggling" years - teens F-4 and a '96 F-5. oh well, time to tell the wife i need to see what these nashville mandos are all about!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
kirk