PDA

View Full Version : Pomeroy F5's and strings

mandorado
Apr-05-2004, 6:37pm
What kind of strings are you using on your Pomeroy F5?

I currently have a set of D'addario med-heavy EXP's on mine. They sound pretty good. I would like to hear what others are using and why you like [or don't like] what you have on now.

Cheers.

Jonathan James
Apr-06-2004, 10:37am
I've used J-74s for some time on my Pomeroy, but just recently started using the Gibson Sam Bush monels and I really like the sound/feel...

Ken Sager
Apr-06-2004, 2:15pm
J74s are my preference. I've tried the Bush Monels, but prefer the J74 both for feel and a brighter spank (the mando is pretty rich sounding as it is and the brightening of the J74s is a good thing). I'm going to try the FT74s next to see what a flattened string will do.

Best,
Ken

wah
Apr-06-2004, 2:16pm
Don told me he sends them out with 74's on them. That's what I have on #13 now. Sounds good but I liked the Flat Top's better. I tried some Elixers on it (my Flatiron Paerformer A sounded great in them) but was disappointed. I'm going to experiment with some others in the future but have another set of Flat Top's standing by so I can compare.

Wayne

mandorado
Apr-06-2004, 11:24pm
I've tried quite a few different brands. D'Addario J74's, 75's, DR heavies and mediums, Gibson Monroes, TI starks. I guess I would say the Gibson Monroes were my favorite so far. They really sounded good. And man, they were loud.
I have the D'addario med-heavy EXP's on now. And they sound nice.
I think I'm going to try a set of S'Addario FT74's. Will put them on tonight.
I have some Elixer Nanoweb and Gibson Sam Bush strings on order. Should be interesting.

CHPorter
Apr-07-2004, 9:14am
My #27 is one of Don's F4s, but I'm sure you won't mind if I join in.
I've stayed with a light gauge set of GHS strings for the year or so I've had my Pomeroy -- 10-36. I recently emailed with Don and he said he's now sending the mandos out with heavier strings (74s) and I'm thinking of trying them. The nut slots (G string) are actually too narrow for the 40 G string, so I'd have to be willing to have some cutting done on the nut, which I don't really have the files (or expertise) to do. So it's no simple 'try them out and switch back if I don't like them' thing. I know that's minor surgery, but it's something to consider.

The other thing Don suggested is that for some of his mandos -- I'm thinking F4s and oval holes -- he's been liking the Thomastik-Infeld strings. On #my next visit to Elderly I'm going to pick up a set of those for a try. Certainly not your usual F5 string, I'd guess, but maybe worth trying on some of Don's mandos.

Craig

mandorado
Apr-07-2004, 1:13pm
Holy moly! I put a set of those D'Addario flattops on last night. Didn't like them at all. The sound was ok, but I don't like the way they feel ... kind of sticky. Pulled them off this morning and replaced with the D'Addario EXP med-heavy. Sounds great now.

CHPorter
May-09-2004, 6:37pm
Well, I made a trip to Elderly Instruments on Friday and have now installed a set of TI starks on my Pomeroy F4 (#27). You might recall that I posted earlier that Don Paine had suggested that some of his customers had gone with the TIs.

I really like them so far. First impression is that they're very quiet -- no string noise whatsoever as you move up and down the neck. They have similar sustain to the GHS 10-36 set I was using, and seem to have about the same volume. They have a very supple feel that takes some getting used to. They don't 'grip' your fingers at all like a PB string does. I'd say they certainly don't have that bluegrass 'whomp' in the G and D strings, but I'm not looking for that with my F4. Tunes such as The Butterfly and the Dark and Slender Boy as played by Simon Mayor are going to sound very nice on this combination of mando and string. I'll be interested to learn about their longevity. Elderly sells them for $24.50; is that pretty much the going price?

Best,

Craig

mandorado
May-09-2004, 10:50pm
Hey Craig. Glad the TI's are working for you. I tried them on Blackjack back when I first got it. I liked them, but they didn't suit the kind of playing I want do, which is old time and bluegrass. Right now, I really like the EXP's and they are still going strong after a month of playing.
I think you will find the TI's last about 6 months if you play daily. Actual Mileage may vary.
I use TI mediums on my Flatiron (YOUR old flatiron … still rocks!) I love that mandolin, and the TI’s sound and play wonderfully on it.

CHPorter
May-10-2004, 8:09am
Oh man, I still think of that Flatiron as the one that got away..wish I could've kept it -- it'd be the perfect partner to my Pomeroy F4. I'm so glad you happened onto it and are giving it a good home..so much for being fiscally responsible!

Messing about with strings is fun, eh?

Craig