PDA

View Full Version : Eastman MD 504 (oval hole) Model

chuck.naill
Mar-27-2006, 9:17pm
I have #13. This mandolin continues to amaze me with its tonal qualities and playability. These little gems have to be some of the best built instruments today.

I play along with the Tone Poems CD and the sounds are so similar to the Gibson A5 features on one cut.

I would be interested in knowing if I just got the pick of the litter or if others can agree with my experiances.

One cosmetic alteration that I made was to change out the white plastic tuners buttons for some traditional ivoroid ones.

chuck http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

guitharsis
Mar-28-2006, 6:36am
Chuck,
I have a 604, #54. Just got it a couple of weeks ago. I agree with you about tonal qualities and playability. Very responsive. Love it.

Gibson A5. Interesting. . .

Are you still using the J74 strings? How about picks?

chuck.naill
Mar-28-2006, 7:24am
Dear guitharsis,

Thanks for the reply. My luthier friend has been amazed at the progreesion of this mandolin. We both think that some of our favorite professional pickers would love the sounds that these instruments are capable of.I think the 504's are in short supply. Perhaps due to demand or that Eastman understandably is concentrating on the upper end instruments. I have heard from three dealers that players are preferring the tones from the 500 and 600 series intruments.

Listen to Tone Poems by Grisman and Rice. On track # 7, Mill Valley Waltz, Grisman plays a Gibson A 4, I mistakenly wrote A-5 before. You can hear his pick clattle against the finger board extention. THe tonal qualites he gets sound like the 504. I am not aware of any other mass produced style A's other than the Eastman's right now, so we have the opportunity to play some pretty neat instruments.

I have the original j74's, after three months they still sound good. I have some silk and steels waiting for me to get the desire to put them on. I heard that Peter Ostrusko uses the silk and steel, Gavin Beard, who posts here, made him an oval hole, A model, so I wanted the experiance myself

I use a golden Dunlop Ultex pick using the rounded edge and a rounded off cornered, Fender medium tri corner pick. Both of these produce very differant sounds.

Regards,

Chuck

spoefish
Mar-28-2006, 8:57am
I have had my 604 (#95) for about eight months now and it just keeps getting better. #I have even gotten used to the peghead (but I do wish they had gone to a snakehead). #It is so complete through the whole range. #A lot of mandolins seem to be more focused on part of the range that is great while the rest is just ok - but the 604 covers it all very nicely. #And it looks good and is comfortable to play. #But I got a shaped tweed case because the rectangular case was such a bother to get into. #Ugh, now off to work.

Stephen

chuck.naill
Mar-30-2006, 12:02am
spoefish

I recently saw a very nice Gibson A 4 and the peghead is very similar to our Eastman. I really think that Eastman's intension was to produce an A 4 copy.

Chuck

Ray Neuman
Mar-30-2006, 10:29am
When the time comes, I would seriously consider an A Eastman. About the only contender would be a flat top Arches.

the enjoying professir

Trey Young
Apr-03-2006, 5:11pm
so, other than an upgrade in tuners from the 504 to 604 and some extra binding on the 604, is there any difference in the volume, tone, sound in general to these 2 models, or is the extra $$$just for binding and tuners???

chuck.naill
Apr-03-2006, 6:44pm
They appear to be the same except for the extras. These are very popular for tone, workmanship, and playabilty.

The standard features that impressed me are:

Ebony appointmnets including truss rod cover,peg head, fingerboard, bridge, adj. truss rod, mother of pearl inlays, very nice caste tailpeice. nice wide fingerboard, and very nice tight grained spruce.

chuck

guitharsis
Apr-04-2006, 8:29am
I would've been happy to get a 504 if one was available when I was looking. #

There is an Eastman Mandolin Comparison chart on Steve Perry's site: #www.giannaviolins.com

Dennis, www.themandolinstore.com, was willing to work with me on a trade-in so the 604 was within my budgeted amount for a second mandolin.

Edit: The Golden Age 604's on Steve's site are gorgeous!

chuck.naill
Apr-04-2006, 12:50pm
The shortage has to be due to people finding out what we know. Time will tell, but these little jewels might just become the modern version of the A4's of the earily teens.

Eastman also might be concentrating on the more expensive models. If they are, that would make sense.

As an aside, I am considering one of those 804's f style blondes for $800. Not a bad substitute for an f model.

Regards,

Chuck