PDA

View Full Version : Who is "Mandolin Man"?

celtic_knut
Mar-27-2006, 10:59am
I found an interesting 2-song EP on emusic.com, entitled Oasis, by someone calling himself "Mandolin Man". It is basically Eastern European-infused World Beat fronted by an acoustic mandolin #(link to emusic samples (http://www.emusic.com/album/10879/10879002.html)). Is anyone familiar with this guy, and if so, is he for real, or some sort of tongue-in-cheek Esteban-esque character? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

John Flynn
Mar-27-2006, 1:44pm
You probably caught that his real name is Bruno Cheli, although that is not much help. His site says that "(He)is to mandolin what Clapton & Santana are to guitar." Wow, I guess that leaves Grisman, Bush and Compton out in the dustbin! Also, I would think that the Clapton/Santana of the mandolin would be playing something more upscale than a Fender. Also, I thought his playing on the video was pretty technically unsophisticed and repetitive, not really Clapton/Santana-like in any way I can think of.

It is uncanny how much he looks like an older version of Estaban, though. I wonder if he will come out with "A solid wood mandolin that can be played both acoustically and electrically, complete with case and amp for only three easy payments of $69.95. But wait, there's more! If you order now..."

ShaneJ
Mar-27-2006, 5:40pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

John Hill
Mar-28-2006, 7:31am
He's not Esteban, BUT he did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and lowered his car insurance by switching to GEICO.

mrmando
May-04-2006, 12:11pm
Ouch! He needs to tune that thing!

Jim Yates
May-05-2006, 10:42am
There's an interesting artical on Esteban in Guitar World Acoustic magazine. It's not worth buying the mag for that artical, but if you were gonna buy it anyhow...
I wonder why he wears the Zorro outfit.

Jim MacDaniel
May-05-2006, 11:14am
...I wonder why he wears the Zorro outfit.
I wonder why someone named Esteban has a speaking voice like Johnny Cash.

mrmando
May-05-2006, 3:12pm
Also, I would think that the Clapton/Santana of the mandolin would be playing something more upscale than a Fender.
But Clapton DOES play a Fender. Ah, that's the connection! Santana plays a PRS but he's an overrated guitarist anyway.

John Flynn
May-05-2006, 3:18pm
But Clapton DOES play a Fender.
Interesting point. I never thought of that. My guess is that if Clapton decided to take up the mandolin, however, it would not be a Fender!

mrmando
May-08-2006, 4:10pm
Clapton might play one of those Mandocaster reissues from the Fender Custom Shop. What were they, $10K?

But he probably wouldn't go near an FM-52E, and I can't say I blame him.

clem
May-08-2006, 10:47pm
FYI, Clapton sold his '57 blond Mandocaster (with anodized guard) at the Crossroads Auction last year. I think it brought over $6,000. I saw it at the preview in L.A....very nice.

clem
May-08-2006, 10:49pm
I just checked, the Mandocaster went for $11,950. Guess it was VERY nice. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

journeybear
Aug-27-2009, 10:07am
Mandolin Man assumes various guises ...

P6oD6B9xzNY

This is the song that started it all - Oasis. Yes, it is repetitive - that may be part of what he is going for (hypnotic, trance -inducing) - but I give him some credit for being bold and pushing the higher notes. Hang in till the end for the astonishing visual effects. The reviewer is definitely given over to hype. Still, it's kind of fun. And as seen in the next video, the Oasis craze is alive and well, at least in Dublin just this past weekend:

LUNfIiOFaV8

Then there's this - Marvin Etzioni, formerly of Lone Justice. It's hard to see him in the shadows there, and at first when he quoted "Voodoo Chile" I thought "Clapton, Santana, now Hendrix" - then I realized it was a different "Mandolin Man." He has an album out by that name.

pXItE8QExPI

Here, a pint-size superhero demonstrates what may happen if you mess with Mandolin Man:

rlk1LO8H8so

Finally, this nervy fellow may be the one to put all others to shame. Someday. Meanwhile, he clearly demonstrates he has none. At least he doesn't waste much time, gets right to it.

Bu5UMUiNyLo

Rob Gerety
Aug-28-2009, 1:53pm
So, I ask, where would we all be without a Professional Dreamer in our midst?

journeybear
Aug-28-2009, 2:33pm
Well, I surfed to this video via some circuitous route, found myself staring at it once or twice before I was able to move again, and then decided to see if it or he had been discussed before starting a thread. I thought that was kind of smart. I found this had indeed come up before, and decided to continue the discussion with all its pertinent observations rather than start all over. In other words, I decided one big pile of garbage was better than two little piles (thanks and sorry, Arlo). ;)

BTW, I'm a bit surprised that after all this time no one has tumbled to my byline being an excerpt from Don Williams' “Love Is On A Roll” - "I'm a songwriter, a professional dreamer." I've always liked that, and his music. And where is The Gentle Giant now? Living on Tulsa Time, I reckon ...