PDA

View Full Version : Not For Kids Only

glauber
Mar-24-2006, 4:36pm
Man, i think this will be my next favourite CD. How great those two sounded together! Pretty funny too. I'm going to play it about a hundred times before i let the kids have it.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

glauber
Mar-24-2006, 5:18pm
And dangit if their version of Shenandoah doesn't bring tears to my eyes. Beautiful lullaby at the end.

ira
Mar-24-2006, 9:15pm
wonderful cd. my kids and i spent lots of time listening to it, and it wound up being just mine in the car cd player. jennie jenkins is prob. my fav on the disc.

Richard Russell
Mar-25-2006, 2:25pm
I've had a copy for better than 10 yrs. and it's always something that I reach for from time to time. In fact, I listened to it today while watching the kids here at the house. I love the simplicity of it and it was actually my first real introduction to the mandolin and to the mastery of "Dawg". Great stuff, I think Garcia and Grisman had some magic going on when they got together!

glauber
Mar-25-2006, 2:41pm
That "Arkansas Traveller" is a Jethro/Homer routine, isn't it? I'm sure i heard those jokes somewhere, especially "you aren't too far from a fool, are you?".

Adam Tracksler
Mar-26-2006, 7:01am
It was the only CD my niece would listen to for years....she's awesome.

EggerRidgeBoy
Mar-27-2006, 10:50pm
That "Arkansas Traveller" is a Jethro/Homer routine, isn't it? I'm sure i heard those jokes somewhere, especially "you aren't too far from a fool, are you?".
It's a traditional comedy routine with origins in mid-nineteenth minstrel shows, one that has been used by countless entertainers. #I first heard it from Ralph Stanley - he and Carter included it in their shows for years, and Ralph was still doing it regularly up until about 2001, with fiddler James Price. #Haven't heard him do it lately, though.

glauber
Mar-27-2006, 11:56pm
Good stuff. That's my daughter's favourite ("Well, hello there, stranger!"). She makes up her own jokes to go with it.

JEStanek
Mar-28-2006, 9:35am
If you like these for kids (and grown ups check out Dan Zanes songs and cds (http://www.festivalfive.com/main/lryics_chords.shtml) . The songs a fun for my kids and the music appeals to me. Maybe not the technical skill of Grisman and Garcia but still a hoot-enany!

Jamie

PS I gotta get this CD. Thanks Glauber.

gschmidt
Mar-28-2006, 9:59am
I was listening to a little bit of Dan Zanes last night at 1 AM (!) when my little girl was awake and not happy. She loves King Kong Kitche... as do I. :-) Good Stuff.

glauber
Mar-28-2006, 10:39am
This Dan Zanes CD (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/danzanes4) has an impressive pedigree: from Bob Weir to Philip Glass.

withak
Mar-28-2006, 11:05am
I live the jazzed-up New Orleans version of Teddy Bears' picnic. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JEStanek
Mar-29-2006, 2:56pm
An FYI. #Dan Zanes and Friends are supposed to have a new CD out in May. I know Natalie Merchant is one guest on it... #Eerie Canal on Rocket Ship Beach with Suzanne Vega is my favorite amongst so many favorites.

My Son's favorite to sing is Pay Me My Money Down on Night Music.
Jamie

Edit- Changed release date from April to May to match his webpage that I wrote in error!

telepbrman
Mar-30-2006, 5:38am
You all got Dan's dvd? It is a good deal...I have his tribute to Sandberg cd, not bad...later, dy.

Aran
Mar-30-2006, 6:57am
My daughter and I are practising the Arkansas Traveller routine at the moment - We both have the tune down on the mandolin and are messing about with the words now! Lots and lots of fun http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ira
Mar-30-2006, 9:41am
anyone have the tab for arkansas traveller as done on this cd or a lead where i can find it?
thanks .teacher talent show being discussed for june and i think it might be alot of fun to do.

ira
Mar-30-2006, 9:41am
anyone have the tab for arkansas traveller as done on this cd or a lead where i can find it?
thanks .teacher talent show being discussed for june and i think it might be alot of fun to do.

Cetecea
Apr-05-2006, 8:46am
thanks #.teacher talent show being discussed for june and i think it might be alot of fun to do.
http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~eknuth/mandotab/arkansas.html

One version, haven't checked it out yet though...

jim simpson
Apr-21-2006, 5:14pm
I love the way Grisman's recordings sound. I guess it's a combination of old and new school as far as technology goes. "Jenny Jenkins" is one of my faves on this one.

Dfyngravity
Apr-22-2006, 1:20pm
as far as i know, arkansas traveller on not for kids only is basically the same way i learned it. i am not sure where i got the version but it's almost identical. i'll have to see where i found it.

glauber
Apr-22-2006, 2:10pm
as far as i know, arkansas traveller on not for kids only is basically the same way i learned it. i am not sure where i got the version but it's almost identical. i'll have to see where i found it.
The tune or the comic routine?

Dfyngravity
Apr-22-2006, 6:37pm
the tune, atleast that's what i thought was being asked for. and if it is the tune that is wanted, i listened to it again and it just seems to be the basic melody for arkansas traveller.

glauber
Apr-30-2006, 4:24pm
Good stuff. That's my daughter's favourite ("Well, hello there, stranger!"). She makes up her own jokes to go with it.
She actually got it down after listening a couple of times. It's been a while, and i wanted to get it on tape before she got tired of it. Sorry about the flubs, i learned the tune today so i could record it.

http://download.yousendit.com/E04CAFDD1629A7ED

JEStanek
Apr-30-2006, 5:47pm
Glauber.... That's what it's all about, man! That was great. An inspiration for me and my daughter. Thanks for sharing. Your daughter has the makings of a real sound FX foley artist!

Jamie

glauber
Apr-30-2006, 8:37pm
Yes, i didn't realize there were so many noisemakers on the computer table; then it was too late. I'll redo it if i have a chance, but you never know with children. She's been doing this routine every day for weeks, but she could tire of it tomorrow.

ira
Apr-30-2006, 9:08pm
ditto what Jamie said- Glauber that stuff was beyond wonderful. made me think how much fun it would be to do with my daughter who writes routines, songs and poems all the time.- reminded me how lucky i am and how much kids can be- thanks for posting and congrats on your good luck as well!
ira

JEStanek
Apr-30-2006, 11:27pm
Don't misunderstand me, Glauber. That cut was _real_ good. Raw. It was almost like a stolen moment where I was privy to you and your family. Plus, I thought the sound FX were part of the routine, like you two were walking down the road and happening into each other.

Jamie

It may not sell a copy at Borders or get played on a folk show but that cut should be platinum on your wall.

glauber
May-01-2006, 7:18am
Thanks, both of you! As i said, i just wanted to capture the moment before it was gone - children grow too fast. I would love to have a chance to perform this with her in front of people, but who knows when that will happen. She's a wonderful kid. I was just amazed at how quickly she learned the words. That's what they do, children, they learn!