PDA

View Full Version : bone and  inlay material

buckhorn
Jan-27-2004, 12:53am
was wondering if anyone has ever tried using antler to carve nuts. also, if anyone has tried to make inlay out of slices of antler either cut lengthwise or sliced across the base. it seems that the hardness is there and it is easy to carve. there is a great amount of the stuff out there, and it would be different. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mandoJeremy
Jan-27-2004, 8:20am
I have a friend that used to make his guitar nuts and bridge pins out of deer antler and it sounded good to me. Bone is bone.

MadMandoingMax
Feb-03-2004, 8:42am
That's terrible! Don't kill animals just for mandolin fashon!

dgfoster
Feb-04-2004, 6:05pm
That's terrible! Don't kill animals just for mandolin fashon!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe antlered animals (unlike horned animals) drop(shed) their antlers on a yearly basis. #They grow a new set. #So you don't have to hurt them, just go for a walk where the males might hang out during the right time of year.

peterbc
Feb-04-2004, 6:36pm
I have bone inlays and a bone nut on my mando and I used to feel a little odd about it, until I realized that I could have eaten the cow that gave me the bone... So if someone were to go hunting, might as well use the antler too (and it beats hanging it the living room!)

levin4now
Feb-05-2004, 11:36am
dgfoster,

or go to any farm shop in eastern NC, and ask for a small rack of antlers hanging from some post where all the non-trophy antlers have been hung after a couple generations of hunting.

Actually, for the hunter-picker, a nice headstock could include a nice depiction of a big 12 pointer (or how many points you might consider big in your area!)