PDA

View Full Version : Thumb problems on my left hand

stixx3969
Mar-23-2006, 12:18am
My thumb on my left playing hand had very bad tendonitus. I know my holding postion on the neck is all wrong but I can seem to do it the "proper" way with out extreme discomfort.
Any suggestions on dealing with the thumb as opposed to the wrist as in the last thread that I read?
Thanx

RJinRI
Mar-25-2006, 8:01am
thumb, wrist... all similiar problems & similiar solutions.
try to relax your hands, use the strap and figure out what works best for you. I have same problem with both thumbs & it is aggrevating !

JGWoods
Mar-25-2006, 9:48pm
I find V necks more comfortable for my thumb, and my bad habits.

Alex Fields
Mar-26-2006, 12:28am
I have thumb pains too, and I actually use proper technique. I think it's because of the mandolin I'm playing: it has a really wide neck and an extra radiused fingerboard. It may also be that I unconsciously tense up my thumb muscle while playing.

stixx3969
Mar-26-2006, 8:56pm
Thanks all for your input!

angrymandolinist
Mar-31-2006, 6:11pm
I've been grappling with this a lot lately. Like Alex, my left thumb tends to tense up when I'm not paying attention; I make a point of looking out for this while practicing and seeing if I can't play that phrase without the tension. Might just be my bad habits, but some passages I just can't play without a little extra pressure or tension.

johnwalser
Mar-31-2006, 6:36pm
I tend to play at least two hours a day and sometimes the bone just gets sore. I made myself a cushion of leather that goes around the left thumb and holds with velcro. It in no way affects my play and keeps me pickin'.
John

angrymandolinist
Apr-01-2006, 9:12am
Hey, that's not a bad idea! My wife's been using stuff called Foam-tastic for some projects of hers; it comes in sheets and is about as thick as leather. I think I'll ask her to make something like that for me.

smilnJackB
Apr-01-2006, 9:41am
I tend to play in too much of a tight, cramped position- holding the upper neck at shoulder height -like I'm doing a biceps curl... It helps my hand problems to loosen up and hold the neck a little lower. Good luck. Jack