PDA

View Full Version : two mandolins, six points

manjitsu
Mar-22-2006, 2:01pm
Here's a family portrait... Bacon Professional #316, Bacon Artist #216.

-Chris

manjitsu
Mar-22-2006, 2:03pm
...the attachment.

Tom C
Mar-22-2006, 2:12pm
Very cool

danb
Mar-22-2006, 2:18pm
wow, those are really cool! Could you post some more pictures with details? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

manjitsu
Mar-22-2006, 2:32pm
Well, if a Super Administrator wants to see more photos I guess I had better oblige http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

This really isn't a very good shot...just quick and handheld, and the color isn't very accurate. I'll make some with studio lighting shortly.

-Chris

Bob DeVellis
Mar-22-2006, 4:46pm
They're both cool but I especially love the Artist. Word is that they have good sound, too.

Ken Waltham
Mar-22-2006, 5:44pm
Those are really cool. I am not familiar with them at all.
Are those original finishes? Cremona Brown and Sheraton Brown.... very cool.
Do they sound like oval hole Gibsons?

manjitsu
Mar-22-2006, 6:10pm
I certainly like the sound of them... I think it's similar to the oval hole Gibsons, perhaps a bit brighter. I heard one fellow describe them as falling between a teens Gibson A and a Lyon & Healy, and I think that's pretty accurate.

I think the finish is original on both, though the adjustable bridge on the Artist model is definitely not, and the pickguard has been modified slightly to fit. The artist model has been played a LOT in its life, and sounds just wonderful to my ears.

I've wondered about the lack of that dangerous looking point on the peghead that's not present on the artist model. I've only seen a few of these, but all of the others have had that point.

More photos to follow!

-Chris

Jim Garber
Mar-22-2006, 6:20pm
I am also the proud owner of a Bacon Artist. I have posted mine here a few times. Chris and I have corresponded some on ours.

There is one for sale at Acoustic Music in Pittsburgh, last time I checked.

I was the one who described th4e tone and L&H/Gibson.

here is the tailpiece. I believe the Artists were all signed by William Place Jr.

I often play mine. It is an excellent mandolin. I have only seen maybe 4 or 5 other Artists. Chris' is the first Pro I have seen.

Jim

Jim Garber
Mar-22-2006, 6:22pm
Mine has a slightly different finish.

Jim

manjitsu
Mar-22-2006, 6:35pm
Thanks, Jim, for chiming in- you're much more knowledgeable on these than I. The artist model is the one from Acoustic Music... I just got it last week, and thought a family photo was in order.

-Chris

Jim Garber
Mar-22-2006, 8:20pm
Excellent, Chris. I had a feeling that that was that one. Congratulations.

Here is the back of mine. I also like the fiddle edge with the ivoroid binding on these mandolins.

Jim

MML
Mar-22-2006, 8:53pm
Those Bacon mandolins are very cool. I have been on the look-out for one for a while. I guess I did not look hard enough. Nice addition Chris http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

danb
Mar-23-2006, 3:48am
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Ignore the "Super" by the way, makes it sound like wear bright red underpants over my jeans. I mean, I do sometimes, but not on the message board.

Back to the mandolins- what is the history on them? Walter K Bauer was also a well-known antagonist of Lloyd Loar. I recollect someone posted a close-up of a label once with Bauer's signature.

Jim Garber
Mar-23-2006, 6:05am
Current discussion on Walter Kaye Bauer is piggy-backed on this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=6;t=29706;st=25).

Place was a Gibson endorser but prob got a better offer of an Artist model with his name on the label. Loar, Place and Bauer were all working performers at the time.

Jim

danb
Mar-23-2006, 8:18am
Very interesting thread, thanks for that. I'll have to ask Tony about Walter, he sounds like a fascinating character!

Jim Garber
Mar-23-2006, 8:27am
Here is a shot of the label with Place's signature.

Jim

danb
Jun-06-2007, 9:20am
Guys, would anyone care to comment on market value range of a bacon artist mandolin?

mandolooter
Jun-06-2007, 12:38pm
Wow those are very nice! Congrats on the purchase! Here's my 2 Bacon Senorita tenors, one of which is soon to depart to a fellow board member...

cooper4205
Jun-06-2007, 12:44pm
those are too nice, that body shape is cool as can be; wonder why nobody has tried to copy it? does anyone know what these Bacon's went for new, did they cost more or less than the A-style Gibsons of the time, and how long they were made?

JeffD
Jun-06-2007, 1:46pm
What cool mandolins!! Aesthetically I kind of like the one on the left, but thats like Mounds or Almond Joy. Just beautiful.

fwoompf
Jun-08-2007, 12:10pm
Those look so cool! And they look to be in fantastic shape too, congraulations! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

manjitsu
Jun-08-2007, 12:20pm
In my ongoing quest NOT to become a collector (and it's not an easy thing for me to resist for some reason) I ended up passing these on to another cafe member. Luckily, the family unit is still intact and they are in very good hands. These were great fun to have around and play for awhile.

-Chris