PDA

View Full Version : Kenny and Amanda Smith

Bradley
Jan-26-2004, 10:17pm
I was thumbin' thru the new Bluegrass Unlimited and found a ad for Kenny and Amanda Smith's new release.I had never heard them before and I went to their Website....Man what a good sound!! I am definetly going tomorrow and getting that project.

Has anyone seen them live? The Inscore guy filled in with Mountain Heart once on PBS, and he wastes no time getting it on with that Mandolin.

A great new group...I will follow up after I get the CD.

Happy Pickin

Crowder
Jan-26-2004, 10:25pm
Kenny's solo record is good too....Adam Steffey is all over it.

Charlie Derrington
Jan-27-2004, 12:50am
And of course, one of the best banjo players around (and one of my best buds) Steve Huber........ I'd rather sing tenor to that boy's baritone than anyone else alive.

Moose
Jan-27-2004, 10:42am
Hey! Charlie.. : off topic(#), but.. re: tenor singers ; years ago, an "older" gentleman told me in a "discussion" concerning The Osbourne Brothers ; "...that Bobby Osbourne can sing tenor to a dog whistle.." (hee.. hee..) - A Great compliment to a great talent. Have a good'n. Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

JDARTGOD
Jan-27-2004, 11:48am
Kenny and Amanda Smith...IBMA Emerging Artist of the Year......A great group by everyone's definition. #I was turned on to them by my Bluegrass Friends here in the Gulf Coast Region. #When I showed up for duty here in Pensacola (April 2002), can you believe they had just played a show........AT OUR BLUEGRASS ASSOCIATION the week before!!! #I missed them by two days. #I describe Amanda's voice like this......It's like she's a combination of Alison Krauss, Rhonda Vincent, and Claire Lynch all in one vocal package. # The Harmony that Band achieves vocally and their timing is nothing less than spectacular.

Anyway, seeing Kenny Smith with Claire Lynch and Lonesome River Band, I knew he was one to keep an eye on. #Once he left LRB and began the Kenny and Amanda Smith Band, I was hooked. #Slowly, but Surely (debut album) is GREAT. #and the new "House Down the Block" album shows you just how "tight" a Bluegrass Band can play together. #VERY TOP NOTCH STUFF.

Ron's Mandolin is super. #

Steve Huber......what can you say....if you've never heard of him, once you do, you say "Well where have I been!!??" #He builds one of the finest instruments money can buy (IMHO) and plays it equally as well. #I love his approach. #I find his playing equally enjoyable (and individually recognizeable) as Sammy Shelor and Robbie McCoury.

If you want a real instrumental treat, visit Huber's site and pick up the Team Flathead CD. #3 days of recording in Ron Stewart's Studio has produced what I consider one of the finest Instrumental Albums on the planet. #Don't be scared off because this project started off as nothing more than a Huber Banjo Demo CD (showcasing the various Huber Models).

As word spread and it grew, it ended up like this.......Take Steve Huber, John Lawless (Acutab), Jim Mills, Ron Stewart and Sammy Shelor and have them all play a "standard" or recognizeable banjo tune using a Huber Banjo. #Then surround them with Andy Todd on Bass, Alan Bibey on Mandolin, and Kenny Smith on Guitar and there you have it....Team Flathead CD!! #(Ron Stewart pulls double duty on Banjo and Fiddle) #

Alan and Kenny must have had a BALL doing this one, judging by the smoking solos they lay down.

I'll quit rambling now, but yes, Kenny and Amanda Smith Band is on the top 6 of my Bluegrass Food Chain.

AlanN
Jan-27-2004, 1:33pm
Well, that team Flathead CD sounds great. What tunes are on there? Any vocals?

sunburst
Jan-27-2004, 1:38pm
I know Kenny Smith, and Amanda, not real well, but have jammed with them on various occasions. Both are first rate, top notch people, and Kenny's guitar work has reached the point of being as good as ANY.
I went to see Kenny with Wyat Rice and David Greer. Just three guitars. It was a great show. All three could pick like you can't believe, yet each sounded different, and each was supportive of the others, so that every solo sounded better becouse of the support of the other players.

Bradley
Jan-30-2004, 10:06pm
Ok guys I finally received it...and it is a GREAT project.

I also got Kennys "studabaker" and it was definetly something missing in my collection too !!

The Mandolin player seems to be very influenced by Adam Steffey...They sound very similar in their style.