PDA

View Full Version : NASHVILLE MANDOLIN ENSEMBLE

charliede
Mar-20-2006, 1:10pm
I had the good fortune to attend the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble's concert which was held at the Hazleton(Pa.)Area High School Auditoriun last Monday night, March 13. I say good fortune because had it not been for the announcement on the Cafe home page, I would not have known about it.

The group, all fine musicians, presented a well balanced program which demonstrated the versatility of the mandolin as a musical instrument. From Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", to Grisman's "Happy Birthday Bill Monroe" to Lennon/McCartney's "Eleanor Rigby" , the band played to an enthusiastic crowd. There was even an orighnal composition by Butch Baldassari, who is a member of the Ensemble and originally from the area. In fact, his parents were able to attend.

On my way home, it occurred to me that if this group could perform at every middle school in America, the mandolin manufactures would not be able to keep up with dthe demand.

luckylarue
Mar-20-2006, 1:20pm
Don't forget their version of the Allman Bros' In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - one of my favorite NME tunes.