PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation please

John Bertotti
Apr-04-2004, 8:13pm
I would like a specific name and title to order so if one of you could put me on track I would appreciate it. I'm looking for music similar to, I will use movies for a common reference, Lady and the Tramp, Captain Corellis Mandolin, My big fat Greek Weeding. These are a few shoes that had tunes I liked. I have no experience with this type of music. Thanks John

Jim Garber
Apr-04-2004, 9:36pm
Well, the most obvious would be Music from the Novels of Louis Bernieres (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002EPMX/qid=1081127792/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-4200698-8923169?v=glance&s=classical) by our own Alison Stephens.

Not sure what the connection (if any) would be to the other two examples, except, as you state, you like the music.

Jim

John Bertotti
Apr-04-2004, 11:09pm
Thanks Jim, I'll be ordering it shortly. John

Jim Garber
Apr-05-2004, 10:22am
John,
I would hope that this recording would lead you to quite a few others. Alison has a number of wonderful CDs. I woul also recommend others by folks on this list including (but not limited to): Richard Walz, Alex Timmerman, Mark Levesque, Marc Woodward and Plamen & Danney. (I hope I did not leave anyone out -- please speak up if I did).

I would also recommend any recording with Carlo Aonzo on it. He has a couple of italian music with Beppe Gambetta one called Serenata and one called Traversata. He also has a few classical issues as well.

I would also recommend Duo Capricioso (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cmsa/groups/troster.html).

I will stop there and leet others chime in.

Jim

John Bertotti
Apr-08-2004, 1:13pm
Hey thanks again Jim. I don't normally frequent this part of the board so the names you mentioned are all new to me. I still haven't started to learn but am building my first mando as we speak/type. I have been working on designs for a carved top bowl back but it is turning into quite a challenge. I have decided a lot of BG just isn't for me so all your suggestions will be checked out. Thanks again John