PDA

View Full Version : Another Sammos mandolin

waynebien
Mar-18-2006, 11:51am
There was a thread a few months ago about a Sammos mandolin that was sold and relisted on eBay. There is one on eBay now #7399573814 that sounds alot like the same one again (sunken top and crack). Does anyone know if this is the same mandolin? Also, I just read the discussion about repairing a sunken top on a Gibson A. Does the Sammos have the same support under the sound hole (my Martin does)? If I get this mandolin it will be my first attempt at repairs, so I need to ask questions.

Thanks,
Wayne

HarmonyRexy
Mar-18-2006, 11:52pm
Very Interesting...
The mandolin is definitely of the same style with the same unusual pickguard, same marking on the headstock and same type of back marking. The case looks different in that the color is not the same... but that could be due to the camera or it could be in a different case. The pix are not the same.
I wish that the old ones weren't 'aged out'.

Germain had been the one who first pointed the Sammos out to us.
Racuda and I had been among the bidders.
Later, I noticed the relisting and posted about it.

Racuda contacted the original buyer and reported on what he had said about the condition of the instrument... and that the seller had refunded his money and shipping expense.

Perhaps, he or Germaine remembers who was the high bidder on the second auction. I do not remember. Maybe, it is the same person as is trying to sell it now.

waynebien
Mar-19-2006, 6:51am
HarmonyRexy

I read the information you posted before about The Osborn Co... is there anything else? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on a mandolin that was poorly made in the first place and no matter what I do it would still be pathetic.

Wayne http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

HarmonyRexy
Mar-19-2006, 6:35pm
I had gotten that info out of an old Sammos catalogue that I'd bought. I also saw similar info in Mumpwumps. I have lots of old magazines and books but I don't see anything additional. I wish that I did... I'm very interested in instruments of that era, especially in those manufactured in Chicago.

Maybe someone else has info....

I don't think that this person who is selling this could be the buyer from the second Sammos auction....unless neither party to the transaction posted feedback. I guess that is possible but not probable.
The transaction is past the time that we could look it up checking for the instrument but none of the transactions from the seller shows anything as a 'buyer' during that time frame. Also, none of the names on his feedback appear to be close to the name that I remember.

I guess that it still could be the same mandolin but the other one did not have the crack. It is clearly visible in these pictures.
The first seller did not mention a crack to Racuda.

Of course, you can get a crack fairly quickly if you're not careful... I got one in the course of a practice session on one of my ukelins from this era. Ouch.... the old dry wood is very suspectible. {Safely tip: don't vacumn too close to these old babes's tone holes, if that harmonic thing starts you may be sporting a strange new crack...} Usually nice quality old mandolins hold up a little better but not always.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

I hope that someone has more info about Sammo/Sammos.... and/or that Racuda or Germain remember more about that eBay mandolin. It was back in October when it was sold, returned and relisted.

waynebien
Mar-19-2006, 6:59pm
Thanks for all of the info. John Walser from this list emailed me about the Sammos. He has done some luthier work and said this "Sammos scares me half to death." There have been a couple of bids on it... I'll just watch the auction and see what happens. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Jim Garber
Mar-19-2006, 11:07pm
There is one on eBay now #7399573814 that sounds alot like the same one again (sunken top and crack). Does anyone know if this is the same mandolin?
It is decidedly not the same mandolin, unless that back was replaced. Here is the back of the other one. It is very different.

Also, I think that the top is equally sunken but in different places.

Also, Harmonyrexy: was this definitely made by the Samuel Osborn Company? Do you have a picture of that style mandolin in that catalog? The original bowlbacks that Osborn sold were under the Sammo brand (no "s" at the end).

Jim

HarmonyRexy
Mar-19-2006, 11:12pm
I'm glad that you got some experienced advice about this.
I have been afraid that this instrument would be more trouble than it was worth.
I'm also going to watch this auction with interest... but there is no way that I'd bid on an instrument with so many stated problems.

The original Sammos auction-- that was probably not this particular mandolin-- listed no problems. #When I emailed the seller asking about the condition of the instrument, he emailed back ravs that included 'The neck is as straight as the day that she left the Sammos factory'.
Red Flags started flying then... it seemed an interesting way for a #supposedly non-musician to express himself.

The catalog did not show mandolins with the unusual pickguard and did have flatbacks. It probably was not the same year as the mandolin(s) on eBay.

On these old ones in particular, it is just better to see them and hear what they've got before buying. #Plus the thrill of the chase through the old music stores, antique stores and estate sales is too much fun to give up!

I'm glad that you got good advice.

waynebien
Mar-20-2006, 6:31am
As a newbie on this list I really appreciate everyones help on this.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif