PDA

View Full Version : A condensor question

JohnF
Apr-04-2004, 2:56pm
I have a Rode NT1 mic and I've given up on it for live situations. It's way too prone to feedback. I've read many of the mic postings here and my question is this. Are other condensors just as feedback prone? This model is a cardiod pattern as are many others. I hate to spend the $$ if other mics such as the AKG C-1000s, Oktava MC-012 etc. are just as prone to feedback.
I know that super and hypercardiod patterns are also out there but we have some beta dynamic mics and while they are good they also seem pretty sensitive, especially if monitors are right behind them.
Thanks to anyone who can offer help.

John S
Apr-05-2004, 8:34am
As for brand vs brand, I don't have a lot of info to tell you which is better or worse. In general, though, the lesser quality mics are more likely to have "spikes" in their frequency response which can exacerbate feedback problems at those specific frequencies. Regarding the NT mics in specific, they do seem to have a pretty ragged frequency response so I'm not surprised that you're getting feedback problems. 4033's are smoother, and Sennheisers even smoother still. #But even with the best condenser mics, an acoustic string band can still easily run into feedback problems.

If you don't have money to burn (and I certainly don't!), my advice would be to buy a mid-quality mic that has a decent frequency response and spend some cash on a good EQ to manage the feedback issues.

Our band uses individual beta 57's and 58's, and they present no feedback problems for us. The key with those mics is that you don't want the monitor directly behind them, but off to the side.

PCypert
Apr-05-2004, 2:43pm
Also look into the mic pick up pattern. There are certain patterns that you would need to mic a group around the mic. Others pic up from the back, etc and would definately pose some problems. Go to in ear monitors and you can avoid the problem.
Paul

TonyP.
Apr-05-2004, 6:59pm
You know the other thing I've wanted to try was not only rolling out a rug as Del and the boys do but I've wanted to try a back drop. We have some great old quilts that would absorb the bounce off the back wall and make one of those folding room dividers that we could just put up behind us. At the local theatre and on the old Fire on the Mountain show they used to have quilts behind them and I always thought that looked great. Most stage area's are way to "live" and that is a major cause of feedback with us. Once made it would take all of 30 sec to set up. Also I always set up the 4033, if we are playing on a stage, as far to the front as possible, out of the "hole". Another reason not to use monitors as they usually make it so you have to be in the hole and they are amplifying the stage noise causing a howling mess. You never want to be enclosed with condenser mics, dynamics it don't matter.

Russ(String-Alley)
Apr-08-2004, 12:51pm
Try this first before spending more $$ : Check the mid settings on your PA, You will lower the risk of feedback the lower you run your EQ's especially the mids. Try pushing the gain up as you roll off the mids and see what you get. do keep in mind that Condeser's are prone to feedback when pushed beyond the volume limits and its proximity to the speaker. give it a shot, you may want to check out an outboard EQ, they have helped me out quite a bit.
cheers
Russ

Strado Len
Apr-08-2004, 1:33pm
I use an AKG C-1000S mic with the hypercardioid adapter to mic my mandolin, and get excellent gain before feedback. One thing about using condenser mics with most PAs - the mics have much higher gain than dynamic mics like the SM57, and relatively small changes on the PA gain or volume knob can result in large changes in volume, and possibly, feedback.

JohnF
Apr-08-2004, 10:26pm
Thanks for the help everyone! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TonyP.
Apr-09-2004, 12:47am
I forgot about that Russ, your right. A previous bandmate who was a soundman turned me on to that. He showed me on a graphic eq that the feedback was always around 1k. When we use the little Yamaha head it has a basic graphic and just a tweek down to the 1k always does the trick.:;):