PDA

View Full Version : some questions about Amps

fatt-dad
Mar-16-2006, 11:28am
I'm trying to help a friend who needs to get a practice amp - let's say it's for a mandolin (o.k. it may actually be used "sometimes" for a guitar also).

My son has a 15 watt Pevey (sp) that he plugs his electric guitar into and that also works on his A/E mandolin. Maybe something like that would do? Here's where I write the forum: What is the difference between a 15 watt practice amp and a 15 watt "acoustic" amp? If somebody has an acoustic instrument with an on-board equalizer would they be better served with an "acoustic amp" or would just about any good quality practice amp work?

What do the folks here recommend for small-wattage practice-style amps, whether "acoustic", solid state or tube?

fatt can-you-tell-I'm-clueless-yet dad

jmkatcher
Mar-16-2006, 11:33am
Acoustic amps usually have tweeters to properly handle the highest frequencies.

steve in tampa
Mar-16-2006, 5:45pm
I use a 100 watt Roland keyboard amp. It is very clean, and has a 15" woofer and a horn tweeter. It has 4 inputs, and can be used as a small PA for very small gigs.

I use a preamp for the pickup to do all the sound coloring. The pre amp adds compression and EQ with a sweepable midrange to help get the piezo sound under control.

First consideration is the type of pickup. A piezo will sound better on an acoustic amp, and a magnetic will sound fine on an amp designed for guitars.

The main difference I see between the acoustic amps and regular guitar amps is that the acoustic amps have the pre amp features found on the acoustic pre amps built in to the amp.

If you have a good acoustic pre amp ( which is good to have for plugging in to PA systems), you could use about any amp.

Fender now makes a practice amp with a built in drum machine and a bunch of other stuff that might be worth a look.

fatt-dad
Mar-16-2006, 7:23pm
Thanks - All I intend on doing is passing this information along, but I really appreciate any/all feedback (no pun intended).

f-d

mandroid
Mar-17-2006, 4:28am
Might get useful function with an active (self-powered) studio monitor, too, if there is a pre and EQ/Volume on the instrument ..
small , bi-amped (some) and accurate sound.
add a 2nd one and a mixer later.

bjc
Mar-17-2006, 1:35pm
I used a smaller Roland keyboard amp for a while and it was good...Now I use a Roland AC-60 (an acoustic instrument amp)...But if he wants an acoustic sound, I'd look for an amp with a tweeter...if he wants to rock get a Peavy or other amp...

fatt-dad
Mar-17-2006, 2:35pm
HERE (http://www.music123.com/Alesis-CoolFire-15-i150436.music) is what I think he went with. I guess the price point seemed too good to pass. . . .

f-d