Quanah
Mar-15-2006, 10:26am
Any owners of BRW Mandos - I'am looking at making an order
soon and I'd be interested to here from someone that has
one and any feedback you can give me. Looking at maybe a
yellow top. Thanks

iampeterfonda
Mar-15-2006, 11:48am
There are tons and tons of threads on BRWs with lots of good info.

Mine is number 25 and is comming up on it's third birthday. #The tone is very very clear and it's got volume to spare. #There is a fairly fast decay after picking but still a lot of sustain. #The overall effect is kind of like a "pop" that I really like. #Playability if very good too.

Yellow top, huh? #Ben does some great stuff with finish and I love the richness and depth of color he gets.

IMHO I think they are a very good value for the money and that seems to be the consensus on the board.

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-15-2006, 12:29pm
He has a beautiful looking Black face F5 for sale and you can see it on his website. No waiting for that one and he has it discounted to a very nice price.

http://www.brw-instruments.com/OnlineStore.html

NFI, Not a BRW owner, not hyping a line, etc. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Quanah
Mar-15-2006, 12:52pm
I was going to buy the black one, but someone else got it. #I think the workmanship from what I can see is outstanding. Just wanted feedback from current or past owners regarding tone and playability. I have had several conversations with him and he seems to be great to work with. #I was looking at the yellow top for something unique. #The comments on this forum regarding black was
than it showed scratches and was more difficult to keep
clean. #I know the none traditional color would be less
appealing from a future resale. #But I'm thinking of something I could keep. #I saw Dave Harvey "Blond Gibson" at the Argyle BG Festival and it was pretty sweet. I have a F5G that I like and will probably keep. #Just not appointed as the BRW. Comments are welcomed.

Fred G
Mar-15-2006, 12:54pm
I have the heirloom model. Good sound, great playability!

Bill Van Liere
Mar-15-2006, 1:20pm
I recieved BRW #51 just before Christmas time. Thus far I really like this mandolin. I split my playing time between Celtic, which I use a Brentrup A model for, and Bluegrass with The BRW. As recently new, this instrument has good volume, sweet tone and is very clean in sound and build. Mine is varnish on Adirondack spruce, no sratches so far. I agree with iampeterfonda about the value/price issue, and feel Ben's mandolins should compare quite favorabaly to most any mandolin for functionality. When I was considering purchasing mine I asked Scotti Adams probabaly about one too many questions and he replied "You won't be sorry". So true. Thanks Scotti, I agree.

Frank Russell
Mar-15-2006, 1:35pm
Fred G - Is that the one and only heirloom model, that I owned for a bit? How's it holding up? Frank

kyblue
Mar-15-2006, 2:54pm
That black top mando Ben has posted for sale on his website is a good looking mandolin. Someone takes good photos, also!

Paula

WJF
Mar-15-2006, 3:29pm
As an FYI that blacktop on Ben's site belongs to someone else, he jusyt hasn't had time to update his site yet. Actually as I think about it, perhaps he should leave it there ... it got me to call him and I'll bet I'm not alone ... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

iampeterfonda
Mar-15-2006, 3:53pm
Mando-Lynn, Interesting what you were saying about what you use each instrument for. I play primarily Celtic and my band mates all prefer the BRW to my teens Gibson oval hole. I also have a Brentrup Italian top on the way. I think Hans is working on the back right now. I find that the Brentrups are a little darker with a more complex, heavier tone and it will be nice to have two contrasting mandolins.

Scotti Adams
Mar-15-2006, 6:05pm
PSSSSST.....I am in the process of getting BRW #11. Well..Ive got it now but buying it on time.

Jim M.
Mar-15-2006, 6:28pm
I had #15, a J16. It is a fine instrument, with great playability, belly-rumbling volume, and good tone across all the strings. I also think the J16 is just about the nicest post-F5 design out there. I highly recommend Ben and his mandos. He has a real artist's eye for design and details, and he is getting great tone from the instruments. He is also a great guy to work with. You definitely won't be sorry if you order from him.

Quanah
Mar-15-2006, 6:39pm
Hey gents, thanks for your input. #Tell me what you think
about a yellow top. If you look at his website you can see
what I'm talking about. I'm thinking of that on the FModel. #As I said earlier, Dave Harvey axe looked might sweet. I know it's not a traditional look, just like a black top isn't. Just looking for views that I haven't thought about.

Scotti Adams
Mar-15-2006, 9:45pm
Ive owned probably 4-5 BRWs in the last few years...and Ive had in my possession probably 2-3 more...including the Heirloom model....Ben's work rates right up there with the best of them. Ben is a perfectionist....If he doesnt like it..you wont like it...and you wont get it..he doesnt put out sub-superior work. Ive been fortunate to have gotten to know Ben..hes a true mando-holic...for a lack of a better term. if you put your trust in Ben...you can trust you will get an A-1 mando. To clarify..I have no finacial interest. Ive recently got the opportunity to get #11...it a great mando...even with #11 you can see the perfection...I hope I can get to see one of his newest creations someday....cuz..they look dayam good.

Eugene
Mar-15-2006, 10:47pm
Gibson knock offs and f-holes are not to my taste. #That said, I love Ben's work and consider him a friend. His craftsmanship is of great quality and his aesthetic sense is marvelously tasteful. In spite of the f-holes and funny, tall, un-bowlback-like bridges, I can actually play Ben's mandolins with some degree of comfort and even a bit of pleasure. They sound great in bluegrass (check out some of Ethan's playing with Big Red and the Wagoneers (http://www.bigredandthewagoneers.com/)). #Ben has done some repair work for me, and it is top-notch. #If he would knock off the old Lyon & Healy oval-holed short scales, I might find myself a couple grand poorer.

luckylarue
Mar-15-2006, 11:33pm
See and hear one in the flesh at the sinister "dasspunk.com"

Brian Ray
Mar-15-2006, 11:59pm
I own #44 (aka Orange) and love it. Ben's fit and finish is stunning and the playability is excellent. Tone is full, even and has sweet silky highs. If you can stomach me in my various states of suckage, you're welcome to see/hear for yourself on some of the practice videos I've made... (http://www.dasspunk.com/media/mando) (requires QuickTime 7 (http://www.apple.com/quicktime))

Brian Ray
Mar-16-2006, 12:05am
Lol...

lucky, you're clearly a faster poster than I. I wasn't aware that I was sinister... but I do love the game Sinistar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinistar)!

Tom C
Mar-16-2006, 9:07am
I am happy with #27. I've heard Ben has since made some changes. Does anybody know exactly what they were?

Fred G
Mar-16-2006, 12:56pm
hey Frussell, It's holding up great. I really enjoy it and have not had much MAS since I got it. I had it setup around Christmas and it is playing really nice. I also had a Mcintyre feather installed and found it must have taken a little damage when the case opened up on somebody who had it before me. I took it to Frank Finnochio in Easton, PA and he did a great job on it. He works fast and is reasonable. He worked at Martin Guitar years ago and is now one of the top Martin repair shops.
I really like the mando though and it also allowed me to trade my F-9(I kept my A-9) for
an OM.

good_ol_al_61
Mar-16-2006, 6:10pm
Quanah:

I have had the privilege of playing two of Ben's F style mandolins. Yes, I said privilege because they are as fine as any out there. You could do a lot worse than owning a BRW.

Chris Cantergiani
Mar-16-2006, 8:45pm
Hey Quanah!
I'm the happy owner of #33 and can wholeheartedly recommend BRW mandolins.
Ben's work is top notch and he's great to deal with. Although they aren't cheap, in my opinion they are an excellent value as well. Some side-by-side soundchecking with more expensive, small builder mandolins left me feeling like I made a very smart buy!
Go ahead and get on the list, already!
Shout out to Good 'ol Al! Hope you're doin' well and we can pick again soon somewhere down the road!

Chris in Atlanta

Quanah
Mar-16-2006, 10:02pm
I've been reading this forum for a couple of years and
I didn't know there were so many closet "BRW" fans and
owners. #That's an excellent endorsement for Ben to have
so many satisfied customers. I thought I had recognized quality and you helped to confirm that idea. Thanks to all of you for your input now I just have to make up my mind on the color.Can anybody tell me what to do there are a couple of really good ideas on his website: Traditional, Black, Yellow???

Bill Van Liere
Mar-17-2006, 8:36am
Quanah...Happy St. Patricks Day

Would you consider green? If I could have any guitar in the world it would be a green guitar Bob Bennedetto made for his daughter Gina. This could make you really famous just like everyone's friend Dasspunk, and maybe get your picture on the front page of the Cafe. Anyway, I'm happy with my sinister mostly black BRW.

makoto
Mar-17-2006, 9:50am
I am the lucky owner of #49, which is featured on his website, it is the yellow-top J-16. Great mandolin, very playable, good volume and tone. I am going to bring it with me to the Mike Compton workshop in Bloomington today. Ben is a terrific guy, I agree with all of the previous posts praising his craftsmanship and his business ethics. It will be worth the money and the wait when you get yours.
James
[QUOTE]"If you play the mandolin, you are my friend"- me paraphrasing Harvey Penick, golf legend

luckylarue
Mar-17-2006, 4:20pm
I love the j16 look - one of the best "modern" mando styles out there, imo. Oh, the dasspunk site is sinister in a good way.

Brian Ray
Mar-17-2006, 4:57pm
Beware... I live! (http://onastick.net/drew/sinistar/)